Mallard Partwork

I cancelled my subscription after the poor quality fitment of the boiler and skirts, I'm not prepared to shell out for the cost of the whole subscription if this is how other parts might be.

sorry to hear that, perhaps you got a bad one?....mine is very good, in fact i'm pleasantly surprised by how well it fits, perfect joins between the boiler and valances. What gaps there are (front of valances to nose) are very small and easily dealt with. Not only that but i'm impressed with the level of detail, windows are a delight...far better than I had expected...

Pete

I think the parts fit better after you get the thick paint off.

I'd like to know what other holes need to be drilled in the boiler before fitting the handrail and lamp brackets.

Cutting the coupling slot was not easy.

Getting the paint off certainly improved the detail, especially of the little hatches and covers. I think, like you, the fit gets better too. The fit seems very good, so perhaps BR blue had a bad one.

Drilling the holes is not that easy. Is there any way we can find out what holes we need and the appropriate diameters?

Hi All,

Can't wait till this is released in NZ, but if it's the same as the flying Scotsman I'll have to wait at lest two years... Had a look on Ebay UK to see if I could get the first 3 parts but there was only part 1 and with the cost of postage the cost was over 10 pounds. Guess I just have to wait :(

Regards,

Jeffrey

• RMweb Gold

Oh dear Jeffrey....

And then it's a two year build! But you can watch other peoples efforts in the meantime.

Did you complete the Flying Scotsman?

Also, a question to you LNER fans....

Did Mallard run in a war time livery, and was she fully skirted?

Regards

John

Every A4 ran in black and had the valances removed.

There's a very well known picture of Mallard during the war, in black, no valances, half a buffer head broken off, so covered in filth that they'd have been embarrassed in 1968.  I think it's in Top Shed by Peter Townend.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for that info Jonathan.....planning to refashion my second Hatchette body valances, in case there are enough detailing parts to make a wartime version.....

Then Mallard can deliver a goods train on my 1940's Gwr layout (ZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzz!)

Anyone wanting information on liveries and tenders for A4's should look in the Chime Archive on the Sir Nigel Gresley website (www.sirnigelgresley.org.uk - see "Names and Numbers" and "A Tangle of Tenders"). These sources state Mallard was outshopped in black without valences on 13 June 42 and was the last to be repainted Garter Blue after the war (outshopped 5 Mar 48) at the same time losing her non-corridor tender for a 1928 corridor tender (modified for exchange trials).

Rosspop, I haven't finished my Scotsman build... Starting a family got in the way but starting to get to the point now where I'm starting to get the odd hour here & there to do work on my projects now. If all else fails lest I can build it when I retire (only 19.5 years away)...

In the meantime I'll keep a look out on Ebay to see if I can pick up parts 1,2 & 3 cheap before release here in NZ. specking of release, I ring the NZ agents yesterday, the company has no idea about when or if it's going to be released here, in fact the agent hadn't heard of the part-works till I asked.

Jeffrey

I've had a relatively quite week waiting for parts, which finally arrived, but I'm not really getting any further, since the locomotive will take a lot more time than the tender.  By the way, out of curiosity, does anybody know which parts will be in the next Issue(s)?  Anyway I got the Chassis fitted and the coalspace built.  Axleboxes look nice and sprung buffers.

post-24181-0-53619100-1413100853.jpg

post-24181-0-99908200-1413100892.jpg

• Like 1

Couple of tips here.  Remove paint by all means. check the butt Joints and file or clean up...make sure they fit squarely. The left side is not bad, but elongate the screw holes and positioning hole towards the back a tad until the gap Closes at the front.  The right side is pretty bad by comparison.  Again, Slot the screw holes and clean up the butt joint so that it closes the gap squarely.  The tiny gap at the back can be filled in with a piece of plasticard later.  It's really no big deal.  A bit of time and effort is all that is needed.  I cant wait until these given up projects start appearing on Ebay.  I will be building at least two more.   Here's my Single Chimney.  Parts are available if one knows who to ask.

post-24181-0-86186000-1413106270.jpg

Edited by Old Man Phil

I think you are asking me.  Oh yes, i love a bit of skirt. :O  Oh, that's not what you meant. :nono: I spent several hours on the phone to a Trader who specializes in 0 Gauge parts for scratchbuilders last week.   Like us, he thinks this Body is excellent and has a lot of potential for modification. To that end, he is undertaking several modifications to his existing range of A4 parts and specifically tailoring them to fit this bodyshell..... namely a completely modified Chassis among other things.  I will be building the prototype for him and, as parts become available I will fit and photograph them for all to see.  There will be...and already are, so many bodies floating about that the potential to make a robust running model are endless.   

The Problem with the sideskirts is in hand and a cut out version will be available eventually.  As it is...only 4 locos were built with double chimneys pre war.... , Mallard,  Capercaillie (9/42 Charles H. Newton), Seagull,  Peregrine (3/48 Lord Faringdon),  so the selection is somewhat small.  Once a pair of cut out sideskirts are available, the choice will be endless.... well you'll have 34 choices.

Edited by Old Man Phil