Mallard Partwork

OK, I'm not being picky, it's just that the way the handles work, the inner one positioned the dart that went through a slot in a bracket inside the smokebok, the outer one tightened it down so it couldn't move in use.

The inner one was made so that the dart was at 90 degrees to the slot, (ie: closed) when the handle was at 6 o'clock, or 12 o'clock. The outer one was then tightened down, and could, in practice, end up pointing anywhere.

This is common to all steam locos, not just Mallard. Have a look at some pics, you'll see what I mean.

There is also a decent pic of a smokebox dart here: http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/resources/images/2884992/

You can clearly see the inner lever controls the position of the dart at the rear, which faces the same was as the lever, so the fireman/driver knows it's firmly closed.

HTH.

evening guys...a quick question....some of us here decided to use the Laurie Griffin backhead fittings kit for our builds....is anyone still waiting for their order? I placed mine early January and was told it should be with me end of the month. Alas I'm still waiting, now this wouldn't bother me if my inquiries about my order had been answered, after all things do go wrong with the best laid plans. Problem is I have tried phoning numerous times, left a message and then sent an e-mail....no reply.....this I find very frustrating so I thought I would ask here if anyone else is having the same issue, perhaps Laurie is ill or something. Like I said I'm ok if there's a delay if it's for a good reason, i just want to know the current status of my order?

regards

Pete

Morning all.  I've been doing a bit more on my Mongrel, namely the Tender Chassis.  Since I dont have a drawing of the underside, I went ahead and made one from general memory.  This is not supposed to be 100% accurate.... it's a working model and  made so bits wont fall off if it is handled.  I will spray it black and fit wheels and brakeshoes later, I left it grey for photographic purposes.

post-24181-0-70295400-1424264190_thumb.jpg

post-24181-0-63964800-1424264223_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Tried phoning today as I haven't received my first edition and I subscribed on January 7th. Very unhelpful person on the telephone in a foreign call centre, I was greeted with a WHAT!!! Put on hold again for 10 mins then cut off. So an email has been sent.

Phoned again today

They can't start from number 1 because they are on issue 8 so instead of contacting me no subscription had been started!! She said pay for all the back issues today and start from issue 8.

Go on the web site and you can still start from issue 1.

I don't trust foreign call centres with my bank details so I'm going to email once again.

They shouldn't have the web page running to start from 1 if you can't.

One more try and if I get no joy I won't bother.

I want to make sure they can deliver them first. I have to be honest I'm not filled with confidence so I didn't want to pay out for all the back issues in one go.

They have said I can back order at any time. Which begs the question why I couldn't have just started from issue 1 but that means some one would have had to do some work!!

So issue 8 should be with me in around a month with 1 & 2 fairly soon.

Well let's hope so any way

According to the email I've had, I can order any back issues at any time, so hopefully that won't change. I did ask them to guarantee that would be the case.

As soon as I receive the first ones I will order the others I just didn't want to phone up and pay for the whole lot Id like to make sure this one goes through first.

Are you going to get them at the price that they were selling them in the shops, or at the full price? If it's at the reduced price it could be worth getting two of each of them.

Edited by ozzyo