Mallard Partwork

I have a queerie,

What is the colour of green for the Union of South Africa?-Ihave read it was Brunswick green,but this seems darker than what it runs today

(The mind boggles!!)---ROB

Beware of the colour of preserved locomotives - there are some very weird interpretations of BR loco green running nowadays.

IMHO, you can't beat http://www.phoenix-paints.co.uk/precision-paints/railway-colours/post-1948-colours/colours-for-british-railways-the-nationalised-railway/p100-b-r-pre-1954-locomotive-green-1.html .

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Hi John

According to some sources, "Brunswick Green" was never a colour, just an interpretation of green from 1948 onwards.

I think I'll stick with Doncaster Green. Thanks for reply.--ROB

Just recieved the plastic tender body sides in part 88.

I assume the sides are supposed to be flat, mine have a couple of dimples on each side near the front.

Also the back has a slight ripple effect.

Also its not very square, and pulling it square just curves the back.

Running a ruler over the sides is not a good idea as they are not flat.

I'm more than a little disappointed.

There is nothing complicated in the plastic that could not have been done in etched brass sheet, except the top curve might be difficult without more than basic tools.

I think I'll ask for a replacement, but I expect it will be just as bad.

Mike J

I have a queerie,

What is the colour of green for the Union of South Africa?-Ihave read it was Brunswick green,but this seems darker than what it runs today

(The mind boggles!!)---ROB

Brunswick Green is actually not a colour at all.  The true Definition and actual colour is RAL 6007 Bottle Green.

Brunswick Green is actually not a colour at all.  The true Definition and actual colour is RAL 6007 Bottle Green.

Surely RAL didn't exist during the GWR / BR steam eras?

The green used for diesel locos - which I understand to be the same green used on steam passenger locomotives, was specified as Loco green BR Spec. 30- item 34a .

However, I gather that reproducing that shade is problematic in the absence of an original colour patch.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• 2 weeks later...

Probably a shaped brass overlay is on the cards with matching cut-outs for the piston flange and valve spindle -either  way it will -no doubt -further compromise ease (if you can call it that)of removing/replacing chassis without damaging all the thin brass outriggers and brackets.

As I decided with my Mallard to complete by scratch building(following the debacle of the wrongly quartered wheels episode) Would be most grateful if anyone can continue the issue /parts list from 71 to date (as produced/edited by Mike 47J 6months ago)

I have noted that for the 1st time in their back numbers list(from 97) Hachette are describing the build details -let's hope that this isn't a one off.

Tony

1 cab

2 firebox and skirts

3 boiler and handrails

4 window frames

5 boiler access plates

6 right inner chassis

7 left inner chassis

8 chassis spacers and axel bushes

9 left outer chassis

10 right outer

11 backhead

12 backhead details including water gauge castings that need a lot of work

13 boiler and backhead details

14 boiler details

15 tender chassis

16 cab roof and some details

17 left loco springs

18 more cab roof details

19 right loco springs

20 cab doors

21 loco hornblocks

22 cab seats

23 tender chassis spacers

24 lower tender chassis

25 sand boxes

26 brake tanks and hangers

27 chimney & front chassis fixing plate

28 loco buffer

29 2nd loco buffer

30 water scoop links

31 more water scoop links

32 water scoop castings

33 one driving wheel and axle, actually these wheels and axles are junk so only the screws

issue 52 has 6 replacement wheels and 3 new axles but not the screws.

34 tender brake cylinders

35 2nd driving wheel

36 tender brake links

37 3rd driving wheel and axle

38 tender wheel bushes

39 4th driving wheel

40 motion bracket and guard irons

41 5th wheel

42 4 small castings for one side, including slide bar support

43 6th junk wheel

44 4 small castings as 42, for the other side

45 loco buffer fixings, speedo bracket

46 footplate supports

47 steps, rivet strips, speedo bits

48 rear drawbar, chassis spacers

49 9 small castings, speedo gearbox, ashpan support

50 same as 49

51 5 small castings, small lubricator, l/h cab floor

52 3 castings, r/h cab floor, ashpan parts, replacement 6 wheels, 3 axles, balance weights

53  7 castings for the backhead

54 3 backhead castings

55 backhead parts, firebox shelf, hand wheels

56 6 brass backhead castings

57 bogie pivot missing from 41, center wheel crankpins and bushes

58 r/h coupling rods

59 l/h coupling rods

60 safety valves, crankpin covers, coupling rod screws

61 pony axle box and spring l/h

62 pony axle box and spring r/h

63 first tender wheel and axle

64 r/h tender outer frame

65 2nd tender wheel

66 l/h tender outer frame

67 3rd tender wheel

68 Tender floor

69 4th tender wheel

70 Tender buffer beam and drawbar

71 5th tender wheel

72 4 Tender axle boxes

73 6th tender wheel

74 4 more tender axle boxes

75 7th tender wheel

76  6 brake castings

77 8th tender wheel, 1mm brass wire

78 R/H tender steps

79 L/H tender steps

80 6 brake castings

81 2 brake castings, tender brake pull rods

82 brake pull rods

83 brake pull rods

84 sand box castings

85 firebox casting

86 tender body front

87 more tender body front

88 plastic tender body sides and back

89 tender coal hopper

90 tender side supports

91 bogie etch

92 bogie axle boxes, screws, springs and bushes

93 bogie wheel

94 2nd bogie wheel

95 cylinder block etch

Many thanks for the issue update -appreciated :no:  :no:

• 5 weeks later...

As a part subscriber I am wondering how Hachette are going to pad out the remaining 27 or so issues! Particularly if -as in my case-the connecting rods and valve gear have been purchased (from premier components)

The difficult to source transfers have been provided so other than the rear buffers and a few other detail parts -many of which can be easily fabricated- I am struggling to see how the extra few hundred quid+ can be justified 

Anybody with any thoughts on this?

• RMweb Gold

Hi Lemburg,

I think there was a discussion on the final cost at the very outset and most of us were happy with buying a kit on a monthly basis, even though the final cost is greater than a kit.

As far as I`m aware no kit manufacturer offers such a purchase method.

Apart from the soft white metal lamp irons and perhaps, for some, the indifferent quality white metal backhead detailing the quality of the  rest has been, in my view, excellent.

The driving wheels at first where unuseable, but were very efficiently replaced to every subscriber.

I too, have replaced the coupling rods etc with Pemier parts, but that is because I hate fabricating etched rods, there is nothing wrong with those supplied.

Perhaps the only negative for me has been the offer of a very poor motor and gear box, which I have not bothered with as there are better quality versions available at a similar price.

I hav`nt started mine yet, but am certain it will produce a quality model.

Bearing in mind, this project is designed for an absolute novice.

The instructions  on how to build it are second to none............

John

Edited by ROSSPOP

Hi guys

Just to say that I'm still here, pop in regularly to keep tabs on people's progress. Alas I have stopped working on my Mallard for now as I have far to much work left to do on my big A1, I shall return to the build once the A1 is built but this will be many years yet. 

To add, I agree fully with John (ROSSPOP), the quality and accuracy of this model is very good,  as I'm building my A1 (using some works drawings) which for most things is near identical to an A4 under the shell the attention to detail put into this O gauge model is superb, can't fault it.

Regards

Pete

• 3 weeks later...

Apologies for off topic post: Finally finished Scotsman! With more than a few departures from original mag specs. Now when I get back from holidays, I can once again tear into Mallard! And perhaps have a fiddle with scratch building Scotsman #2, which reposes on the shelf above Mallard..................

One question though, I have noticed that on Scotsman, the trailing bogie / cartezi truck will touch the side frame on sharper curves and cause the drivers to derail because it seems to put all the wheels in a "rigid" position. There seems to be no easy answer for this, the question  is therefore, since Mallard has a similar arrangement, is the same issue going to occur with it as well? Anyone got any ideas? :scratchhead:

Bushrat

post-3953-0-42169600-1473268386_thumb.jpg

post-3953-0-66174100-1473268450_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Hello  all 

If there's anybody out there i'm just keeping this topic alive!!

I recently reached the stage of priming the body and thought i would pass on a few of my experiences to those that are about to do the same.

Firstly the gap where the valance joins the body-particularly at the short vertical section in line with the back of the cylinder fairing -there is some flexing here particularly when installing and removing the chassis.

I initially used the single pack filler (which comes in white or green)but I found it brittle and difficult to apply.I found that using a 15amp backing wire glued in the gap(inset not proud) avoids pushing through the 2 part epoxy filler which i prefer to the aforementioned.

This filler when mixed can be moistened with water and made into a thin sausage so avoiding a lot of cleaning up which is better for  retaining the rivet detail on either side of the gap.

Prior to priming i washed the 18 months or so of grease and debris off  with a soft toothbrush in a large shallow plastic box to avoid loss of any parts like lamp irons  but then made the mistake of using a single pack etching primer without solvent cleaning after the washing/rinsing off process(white spirit would have done) this resulted in a large section on the top of the boiler and the cab roof bubbling as if nitromors had been applied-Apparently etching primer contains zinc chromate which will react(almost immediately)with any lanolin residues which are not visible may i add.In a situation like this leave for 48-72 hours as i did and then remove the mess with white spirit which will not effect the cured areas at all then feather edge in with a flexible superfine abrasive pad.

In respect of the topcoat I would not  recommend gloss as when using a subsequent varnish over not easy to get a consistently uniform finish-better to use Railmatch which is a satin sheen and accepts transfers well. I used this with the scotsman and achieved excellent results

Hope this is useful

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Same here......... somebody remind me of how many issues in total .........

But.... I have made these this year............

post-17779-0-89664500-1475753869_thumb.jpg

post-17779-0-26907200-1475752613_thumb.jpg

post-17779-0-21593400-1475753335_thumb.jpg

post-17779-0-62328900-1475752681_thumb.jpg

Edited by ROSSPOP
  • Like 3

Hello all.  I, too, have been a little lax.  Poor health, lack of enthusiasm, partially due to the ridiculously hot summer, and other people breathing down my neck.  I finally received a few long overdue parts from suppliers and was able to complete the valve gear assembly.  It all runs nice and smoothly.  The Chassis is from JPL Models and needed modifying to fit under the Body. The thickness of the sideskirts in the area of the cylinders required that the cylinders be fabricated in slimline form to fit.  Looks like I'm going to have to re-spray the Body because it's been knocked about a bit during the last year while I was building 013 shunters and GWR classes.

post-24181-0-70552300-1475846694_thumb.jpg

post-24181-0-23078800-1475846766_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I am another who has yet to start building the Mallard, I was planning to tackle something simpler first as I have never assembled a loco before and this is a lot of money to mess up on, so this thread will be invaluable to me when I do get started.

• Like 1