Mallard Partwork

• 3 weeks later...

Awfully ghostly on this site?

Yair Peter, I was thinking that myself. Issue 52 arrived here today with all those lovely wheels, so I have ordered a couple more. Havent compared them yet but they look very similar to the Scotsman wheels..... :O wish they had given us some extra screws though, they strip the heads so easily...

For me, haven't done a thing on mine for a month - trying to sort out a few other things that have a higher priority and getting nowhere fast, never mind, it all takes time!

I'm not very happy with the tender assembly order.

I've done it in the order of the issues, but I think doing 70, assembling the frames to the floor, before 64 and 66 which is adding details to the join between the floor and frame, would have been a lot better.

Thinking I need to take it all apart and redo it.

Anyone else done this part ?

I'm built up to part 80 almost I think there may be a problem ie:- If the rear buffers  (on the tender) are spring loaded, how is that going work as the tender frame comes down through the centre of the hole?

(check photo!)----ROB.

post-1950-0-76185400-1457732280_thumb.jpg

post-1950-0-81597800-1457732390_thumb.jpg

I'm built up to part 80 almost I think there may be a problem ie:- If the rear buffers  (on the tender) are spring loaded, how is that going work as the tender frame comes down through the centre of the hole?

(check photo!)----ROB.

That is as the prototype so as long as they use the correct buffers with the internal captive spring all will be fine...all looking good...

Pete

• Like 1

ah..just noticed the guard irons...not sure if it's covered in the instructions (not got that far myself yet)  but those irons should be kinked in towards the rails, dog legged for want of a better word so that they are over the rails..

cheers

Pete

ah..just noticed the guard irons...not sure if it's covered in the instructions (not got that far myself yet)  but those irons should be kinked in towards the rails, dog legged for want of a better word so that they are over the rails..

cheers

Pete

With regard to the guard irons; My experience with Scotsman was one of putting them on when told during the build, and then having them constantly bent until they eventually broke due to the amount of handling that occurs during the build. Ended up having to make new ones, and found it best to make them the last parts fitted before painting, they just get in the way all the time. Try and fit them as late in the build as you can....

With regard to the guard irons; My experience with Scotsman was one of putting them on when told during the build, and then having them constantly bent until they eventually broke due to the amount of handling that occurs during the build. Ended up having to make new ones, and found it best to make them the last parts fitted before painting, they just get in the way all the time. Try and fit them as late in the build as you can....

they certainly are at risk and often left of in the larger scales due to the problem you've stated...I'm a little pedantic (or is that just mad) with my builds and so everything that the prototype had must be on my models no matter how impractical.....

as reference this is my er slightly larger model....:) which shows the shape of the guard irons for the tender...the model has moved on a long way from this picture though...lining has been tidied up (not noticed until  close ups like this were taken) and the buffer straightened although I still need to paint the buffer stocks black....lot's to do...:)

2013-11-01112625_zpsf37fdd2d.jpg

regards

Pete

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Steve...no one has got to the tender body yet but I can say it's a non-corridor tender..   http://www.buildthemallard.com/

cheers

Pete

That would be right before March 1948, so with the model appearing to be in original condition with skirting, the non-corridor streamline tender would be correct. When first out-shopped it was 5642 until March 1939, and then 5639.

From March 1948 she was fitted with a 1928 style corridor tender (first fitted to flying scotsman) and then 3 other through to withdrawal in 1963.

Where will you source a corridor tender? remember there were two types, I THINK Mallard had the streamlined type in 1962, that one isn't readily available. ACE (Mr Ascough) MAY do you one out of the Acorn/Big Four kit? The Finney one is non-streamlined. I'm going to have the same problem for Silver Fox circa 1962.

Do you have such a kit?

IIRC, it is the 1928 version, so if you are going to do a conversion, the Finney one would be a better bet?

Or get the Acorn one, his is the correct version and the tender not so difficult. He quoted me a reasonable price for one.

To be honest Jeff I'm not sure, what version was supplied with the Hachette Flying Scotsman kit? This is the one we are hoping to use as a basis. My knowledge of the Eastern stuff is not as good as the good old Western !

From the Gresley society's "Chime" magazine, the following might be of use:

From release to traffic to 1939, tender No 5642, non corridor streamlined type.

From 27/8/58 until 30/05/62: 1928 corridor type, No 5330 as fitted to FS in the kit, I believe.

From 30/05/62 to with withdrawal, streamlined type, No 5651

http://www.sirnigelgresley.org.uk/tenders/tenders1.shtml

HTH

Edited by JeffP

Hi to all,

I finally got around to experimenting with the super glue and Bicarbonate of Soda trick that I mentioned hearing about in one of my earlier posts.

Got to tell you chaps - this trick is absolute MAGIC that would do Hogwarts proud!

Try this one yourself;

1: Squeeze two small puddles of super glue on a bit of scrap or whatever

2: Sprinkle a small amount of Bicarb on one.

It sets INSTANTLY and ROCK HARD! The other one can take an hour or more depending on temperature.

Now, I realise that super glue sets fast on mating surfaces, like two flat bits of brass, but when you have something thats a tad sloppy,

like a bit of .4mm wire that is going into a hole that you had to drill using a .6 drill bit because that was the only one you had, it can be a different story. Fill the hole with super glue, hold the wire in position, sprinkle on the bicarb, done - instantly! Give it a try.

The other thing that I have found it works well for is FILLING. Holes, unwanted detail, whatever. You can just build it up in layers if the hole or scratch is deep, with a sprinkle of bicarb on each layer of glue - sets instantly, ready for the next layer.

The best part is yet to come - it can be wet sanded with wet and dry paper within minutes, to a fairly smooth finish ready for undercoat/primer and then paint. I have tried over painting with enamel, and auto acrylic with no problems at all, just wash off the bicarb to neutralise the surface.

Every so often, one come across one of these tricks that actually works really well, and this is one of them!

I have downed tools on Mallard for the moment and am concentrating of putting the final touches on Scotsman, which is making me feel guilty every time I look up from putting another part on Mallard, and see her sitting there unfinished! Have decided that I am going to give her driver the nickname of "Ben Isaacs" - some of you older movie buffs might get the pun...... :angel:

Cheers,

Bushrat

Edited by bushrat

Every so often, one come across one of these tricks that actually works really well, and this is one of them!

Try http://www.sealantsandtoolsdirect.co.uk/adhesives/super_glues_and_carded_adhesives/everbuild_mitre_fast_superglue_activator_200ml_P27241.html?gclid=CjwKEAjwxce4BRDE2dG4ueLArHMSJADStCqMcofpPj5OGk37_6UekJxp7ajVV2WMbpSMCyhiryy5_BoC0z_w_wcB ;

It does much the same thing.

Regards,

John Isherwood.