Mallard Partwork

Hi all 

The dark evenings are upon us and it must be time to get the superglue/soldering iron at the ready!!

As i do not have all of the issues can anybody advise if the little fabrication for the pony truck has been released as yet ? I am assuming that this this will be a little cage with bearings and a pivot pin (a la bogie) as shown on the djh/piercy website as the chassis follows the same design as near as makes no difference!!

Hi Rosspop -Thanks for the trouble you have gone to  I have the bogie -but not the springs -so that's useful!   It's the pony truck I meant (the 2 in the 4-6-2 if you like) Even some kit manufacturers call bogies ponies so can be confusing. The actual picture is on the DJH website under Piercy -non valenced A4 where exploded diagrams can be viewed. Seems that Hachette have not released this part/issue yet!

Hi Rosspop -Thanks for the trouble you have gone to  I have the bogie -but not the springs -so that's useful!   It's the pony truck I meant (the 2 in the 4-6-2 if you like) Even some kit manufacturers call bogies ponies so can be confusing. The actual picture is on the DJH website under Piercy -non valenced A4 where exploded diagrams can be viewed. Seems that Hachette have not released this part/issue yet!

Hi Lemburg

just to let you know that the part that you are referring too is the 'Cartazzi axle', it's not a bogie or pony truck as such but an axle that swings in diagonally opposed horns...it's a very clever design. This image of a larger model might help explain, here the axle has been pushed as far to the far side as possible...if you look closely you'll see that it's at an angle when compared with the various stretches, there's a lot more to it than this, I'm happy to explain to anyone who's interested.  

20161007_180818_zps9gfc2vtd.jpg

regards

Pete

Edited by greenglade
  • Like 1

Hi

I took a few photo's of the piping in the area a few weeks back, the anti-carbonisers aren't fitted, probably off for servicing, hope these help, alas I couldn't get views from under any under the running boards although there are a few on google with the boiler removed which may help.

20160401_085443_resized_zps4gw2fykr.jpg

20160401_090751_resized_1_zps6mugo5cp.jp

20160401_103523_resized_zpspfb522nu.jpg

20160401_090746_resized_1_zpsy04uzh6p.jp

20160401_090828_resized_1_zpswugygqbr.jp

20160401_090824_resized_1_zpszquotwic.jp

bear in mind that the electrical type connectors etc wouldn't have been on the loco in LNER days...

Excellent helpful photos!

• Like 1

A bit of self motivation on the home straight These last couple of weeks and now I'm pretty close for finishing the Job. Nameplate, numbers, worksplates, brake linkage all in place.  just the drawbar hook for the front and buckeye coupling for the tender, draincock pipes for the cylinders and I'm done with it.

post-24181-0-18850600-1477753301_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Hi Lemburg - The rear pony truck etching comes with part 109 which I've just received. Part 110 includes the axle bushes, pivot and spring for this assembly. The wheels must come along later in the build.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All, well I guess this is goodbye.  My loco is finished and, at the time of writing this message, it is winging its way to UK for eventual display and probably sale, at The O Gauge Exhibition in early December at Reading.  Good luck all of you who are continuing the monthly building program or just collecting the issues.

post-24181-0-35536400-1479207395_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Hi All, well I guess this is goodbye.  My loco is finished and, at the time of writing this message, it is winging its way to UK for eventual display and probably sale, at The O Gauge Exhibition in early December at Reading.  Good luck all of you who are continuing the monthly building program or just collecting the issues.

Have you thought of doing a build thread on something else?

I#d love to follow a thread on a build for the Class 13 pair, a loco class that's popularity stretches much further than you'd expect given it's limited prototype scope. Much like the W&U steam trams now i think of it, (something else i have an unhealthy obsession about).

Nice model Phil, Well done.

Hav`nt started mine yet and should  have all the issues by March 2017.

I wonder if they will produce another project ??

See ya !!

Really, another 4 months of collecting? I was hoping it would be wrapped up by Xmas, it's become more of a drain on my wallet than an exciting and worthwhile expenditure by this point, I shalln't go down this route again. (Not withstanding the fact that you can save £3-400 by going RTR these days which is not to be sniffed at.)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all 

On the subject of the Mallard tender as referred to a few months back I went down a different route and decided to construct my own.This was -in the main -because i do not like plastic .I like plastic with ripples in it even less and not withstanding the comments about prototypical realism i smart at the thought of being supplied with substandard mouldings.

Therefore I did not purchase the hatchette ones but assumed they would have  tabs to fit into the slots on the chassis footplate.  Pics show the n/silver 0.5mm sides and back and the 1/16 brass tabs that in turn are shimmed out to allow for my assumption that the plastic sides would be thicker. I dispensed with coal chutes as the tender would be coaled up but 1/16 square brass rod was used for top plate supports which also acts as lateral strengtheners.Needless to say the back steps /handrails and lamp brackets are not attached to the tender rear until the 'box'  is soldered up.

Having said all this the 'scotsman' tender sides I constructed several years ago were very good mouldings and other than being a bit over scale at top/edges still look ok and have not warped or become brittle.

Incidentally if Mike47J still scans these pages a parts supplied update to issue 117 would be appreciated.

post-29572-0-72859000-1480346489_thumb.jpg

post-29572-0-80106600-1480346516_thumb.jpg

post-29572-0-83353500-1480346544_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I must admit that my enthusiasm for this build has decreased with the disappointment of the plastic tender and wobbly driving wheels.

I've got 2 set of the wheels but I might buy some Slaters wheels at Reading next week. Must make a shopping list.

I have a couple of questions.

First off, JPL: I've emailed them about rods, valvegear etc, but had no response. Are they still trading? There appears not to be a website?

Second, I've opened each of my magazines, marked the parts therein with the number of the issue, after checking that all is present and correct, using a large indelible felt tip pen on their packet, and stowed the whole lot in a binder box. The magazines are in order in the binders, of which I now have sufficient, so have stopped them. I haven't yet separated the individual magazines into their parts...construction of model, railways, Mallard etc.

However, the large number of individual packets of parts etc makes me think that when construction actually begins, a lot of time will be spent looking for parts rather than building?

Does anyone have any better ideas?

Thanks.

• RMweb Gold

Hi jeff

Don`t know about JPL????

But most of us on here have got our replacement rods valve gear etc from........

Premiercomponents.co.uk.

no suggestions for for your other issue except to say that all the different etches are numbered. Mine are all together in a large box.

The instructions are second to none.

John

Incidentally if Mike47J still scans these pages a parts supplied update to issue 117 would be appreciated.

I don't know if Mike has access to copies before the rest of us, but I've only received up to issue 111 so far, so you may need to wait a while for details after that. In the meantime, if you wish, I don't mind posting the details for the ones I have, if you let me know how far you'd like me to go back, ie the last issue you had part detail info for.

I don't know if Mike has access to copies before the rest of us, but I've only received up to issue 111 so far, so you may need to wait a while for details after that. In the meantime, if you wish, I don't mind posting the details for the ones I have, if you let me know how far you'd like me to go back, ie the last issue you had part detail info for.

Hi 

I have details up to issue 100 only so anything beyond this would be appreciated. As i have premier component valve gear and assume that more recent issues may well duplicate these items i want to avoid unnecessary outlay .