Mallard Partwork

Hi to all,

I finally got around to experimenting with the super glue and Bicarbonate of Soda trick that I mentioned hearing about in one of my earlier posts.

Got to tell you chaps - this trick is absolute MAGIC that would do Hogwarts proud!

Try this one yourself;

1: Squeeze two small puddles of super glue on a bit of scrap or whatever

2: Sprinkle a small amount of Bicarb on one.

It sets INSTANTLY and ROCK HARD! The other one can take an hour or more depending on temperature.

Now, I realise that super glue sets fast on mating surfaces, like two flat bits of brass, but when you have something thats a tad sloppy,

like a bit of .4mm wire that is going into a hole that you had to drill using a .6 drill bit because that was the only one you had, it can be a different story. Fill the hole with super glue, hold the wire in position, sprinkle on the bicarb, done - instantly! Give it a try.

The other thing that I have found it works well for is FILLING. Holes, unwanted detail, whatever. You can just build it up in layers if the hole or scratch is deep, with a sprinkle of bicarb on each layer of glue - sets instantly, ready for the next layer.

The best part is yet to come - it can be wet sanded with wet and dry paper within minutes, to a fairly smooth finish ready for undercoat/primer and then paint. I have tried over painting with enamel, and auto acrylic with no problems at all, just wash off the bicarb to neutralise the surface.

Every so often, one come across one of these tricks that actually works really well, and this is one of them!...

I hadn't heard of using bicarbonate of soda, but I have used a filler-and-superglue mix for years, which also sets rock hard.

Maybe there is nothing new under the sun.

Can anyone tell me what shade of red is correct for the wheels? I would like to paint them (and chassis) before I fit them, and by doing this hopefully wont have to take them off again.

It sort of looks like a maroon in some photos and just a red in others, any ideas?

Also, I know it's off topic, but I have almost finished Scotsman now, and am tearing my hair out trying to work out where the lower pipes from the atomisers go.

There is nothing in the destructions about them, they just seem to vanish under the footplate, and the photos dont really show anything that can help.

Are they attached to anything on the footplate or do they just sort of hang..?

Cheers,

Bushrat

Edited by bushrat

Thanks to all for that, it puts me on the right path!

Sounds like the same "Indian Red" that used to pop it's head up here in Australia many years ago, everyone had a different name for it from Indian Red to Russet Red, but basically it was just bright red "dirtied up" with a touch of black until it looked right, and no set formula, as it seemed to vary from workshop to workshop (yep, it happened here too, just like in workshops over your side of the puddle). One would think that even back then there would have been a "recipe" to mix paints, it really makes one wonder why the difference...............?

So I guess that is what I will be doing, and for the sake of my sanity will name the colour "Dirty Bushrat Red" :boast:

So now back to the endless fruitless searching through internet pages to see if I can find out where those darn Flying Scotsman atomiser pipes go to.......... :scratchhead:

Bushrat

Can anyone tell me what shade of red is correct for the wheels? I would like to paint them (and chassis) before I fit them, and by doing this hopefully wont have to take them off again.

It sort of looks like a maroon in some photos and just a red in others, any ideas?

Also, I know it's off topic, but I have almost finished Scotsman now, and am tearing my hair out trying to work out where the lower pipes from the atomisers go.

There is nothing in the destructions about them, they just seem to vanish under the footplate, and the photos dont really show anything that can help.

Are they attached to anything on the footplate or do they just sort of hang..?

Cheers,

Bushrat

Hi

I took a few photo's of the piping in the area a few weeks back, the anti-carbonisers aren't fitted, probably off for servicing, hope these help, alas I couldn't get views from under any under the running boards although there are a few on google with the boiler removed which may help. 

20160401_085443_resized_zps4gw2fykr.jpg

20160401_090751_resized_1_zps6mugo5cp.jp

20160401_103523_resized_zpspfb522nu.jpg

20160401_090746_resized_1_zpsy04uzh6p.jp

20160401_090828_resized_1_zpswugygqbr.jp

20160401_090824_resized_1_zpszquotwic.jp

bear in mind that the electrical type connectors etc wouldn't have been on the loco in LNER days...

cheers

Pete

Thanks Pete,

They are really nice clear photos! Sometimes of late I have wished that I could pretend that it was a really big tri-ang out of the box job and not worry about such minor details!

Looking at the photo's it seems that the model might be missing several pipes, but I suppose that can happen, after all, where does one stop when it comes to detail?

I have looked at so many photo's of the beast over the last few days, and the times that these parts changed location and setup over the years is truly dazzling, I am

thinking that there is probably no right or wrong place for these bits as they differ from loco to loco, and workshop to workshop, so I guess I will just whack them on in a

way that they look half decent and hope for the best!............................... :scratchhead:

And a YELLOW line on the footplate instead of red? Never seen that one before ..................................

Thanks for the post Mate, it has helped greatly, will stick an off topic piccy on here when it's finished, as the old thread seems to be gone - cant find it anywhere.

Cheers,

Bushrat

Hi bushrat

Regarding the yellow line.....remember FS today is in that boring BR livery..it's not yellow, it's orange but yes if LNER livery it should be vermilion which is a red but not as strong as something like the buffer beam red.

Regarding pictures...there is a very good picture of FS at KX 1928 just before she pulled the first non stop to Edinburgh which should help greatly..alas I'm not my computer so can't give a link...if i find a way I'll try later

Cheers

Pete

Hi bushrat

Regarding the yellow line.....remember FS today is in that boring BR livery..it's not yellow, it's orange but yes if LNER livery it should be vermilion which is a red but not as strong as something like the buffer beam red.

Regarding pictures...there is a very good picture of FS at KX 1928 just before she pulled the first non stop to Edinburgh which should help greatly..alas I'm not my computer so can't give a link...if i find a way I'll try later

Cheers

Pete

Orange, yes, I see that now, it comes back to what I was saying, there have been so many changes to her over the years.......

If you get a chance to post that link sometime it would be great,

Cheers,

Bushrat

These may help...

1928 1st May.......no front steps, corridor tender

4472%201928_zpsrgrjciqt.jpg

1927..buffer beam no quadrants cut from lower corners, ladder type front steps, GNR tender

2664096_zpslbsmzb1b.jpg

GNR tender again but much later, notice she now has the newer front steps, these were put on the mid 30's. the GNR tender will place the date somewhere between 1936 to 1938

20160407_104558_resized_zpsbgv04zuk.jpg

cheers

Pete

Edited by greenglade

What terrific old photo's! Love the wee loco in the second one, there has to be a story attached to that!

It is fascinating to see the small detail changes to this loco in just a few short years, still trying to work out what the lower rod and lever are on the boiler in the second photo :scratchhead:

cheers,

Bushrat

The wee loco is the magnificent Romney Hythe & Dymchurch No 7 Typhoon. It too has had some tender changes over the years, as well as gaining Peppercorn-style smoke deflectors, losing its third cylinder to match its earlier sisters and at one stage recently being fitted with a Kylchap exhaust too. It's an absolutely gorgeous machine, second only in my affections to its blue-liveried sister Hurricane. 27 feet of miniature excellence. Beautiful to drive too.

David

What terrific old photo's! Love the wee loco in the second one, there has to be a story attached to that!

It is fascinating to see the small detail changes to this loco in just a few short years, still trying to work out what the lower rod and lever are on the boiler in the second photo :scratchhead:

cheers,

Bushrat

I would have to check notes but I have an idea of what this may be part off.....mind you if your building as per kit you don't need to worry about it. Now you'll note that there are no anti-carbonisers fitted, the handle taking their place. This will mean that in this picture she hasn't got the type 7 Wakefield lubricators fitted...no anti-carbonisers = no Wakefield's...as built 4472 had hydrostatic lubrication..in fact that's not entirely correct...her works sheet said Mechanical lubricators but she was wrongly fitted with hydrostatic...this was rectified within a week. IIRC the hydrostatics weren't fitted for long , my memory says she lost then before this picture but i could be wrong...I'd have to dig my notes out to check..

Pete

morning all..ok having reread some of RCTS part 2A it's safe to say that the handle was perhaps part of the Detroit hydrostatic lubrication system and that 4472 had this system up until  April 1928, just a few weeks before the first photo in May 1928 was taken. The controls for the hydrostatic were on the fireman's side with 4 pipes running along the outside of the boiler with a gradient of 1in 72 to the smokebox which will be where you see the handle...I wouldn't call it a handle, more like a lever linked by a control rod back to the cab, at least that's what it looks like to me.

Pete

Edited by greenglade

OK, that's it, I give up. :drag:

My atomisers fell apart, I drilled a .5 hole in my pinky finger, the handle snapped off my steam cock, (most distressing) and none of the wire would bend neatly, all for only 3 hours work! Some of the parts supplied with Scotsman (and Mallard) are an absolute disgrace, there can be no doubt.

So now, I have to find an alternative to the atomisers, I have a couple of options as I see it:

1: Remove the wreckage, fill the holes and have nothing at all, or,

2: Make up a couple of handles as in the photo above and put them on both sides. So hard to find photos of the left side for some reason so I dont know if both sides had the same setup

... :scratchhead:

So annoying to be in the home stretch with this build and to be brought undone by a couple of rubbishy (but highly visible) parts, anyone got any suggestions or options?

Would be appreciated if you do.

Bushrat

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

morning all..ok having reread some of RCTS part 2A it's safe to say that the handle was perhaps part of the Detroit hydrostatic lubrication system and that 4472 had this system up until  April 1928, just a few weeks before the first photo in May 1928 was taken. The controls for the hydrostatic were on the fireman's side with 4 pipes running along the outside of the boiler with a gradient of 1in 72 to the smokebox which will be where you see the handle...I wouldn't call it a handle, more like a lever linked by a control rod back to the cab, at least that's what it looks like to me.

Pete

Hello all,

I maybe misreading this reply, but in these three photos this is the driver side of the loco. IIRC you don't need any handles for the hydrostatic lubrication. Most of the time the pipes for the hydrostatic lubrication would run under the cladding to keep heat loss down. The handle on the drivers side look more like one of two or more things, 1] a manual jumper to to the blast pipe or 2] the linkage for a hopper in the smoke-box to help reduce char (I'm not sure if the L.N.E.R. had them but some L.N.W.R. loco did).

OzzyO.