SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Point of order - "pick a weed here" isn't quite right - in fact it was Derek Napier from S London, whose face had one of those twitches.

Can't for the life of me think what his nickname was.

I'm so old I can remember hearing MTB's in Plymouth sound in the early 50s that were actually Deltics in disguise.

Tory Pedo

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I thought that said back and froth..................................thus this is the Hornby/Bachman/You name it Thread posters pet locomotive (I suspect the Yanks call them Units or something dumb) so look here you Trumpers....this is a sodding Unit attachicon.gifdownload.jpg

Shove that up yer Incline.

Mr OB

I gave another unit yesterday.

"Just a small prick" she said - I thought "How do you know ?"

Is that a Ozzie version of our 66s but updated?

oooh no, its an MPI MP27N built by Motive Power Industries (who make commuter locos).  Nothing to do with EMD or whoever they are now.

Interestingly, the engine blocks are cast in Germany and finished at Cummins plant in Daventry.

Exactly Wot the Doc said.

There's narrow gauge (3'6") versions in 2700 and 3300 hp forms ie MP27CN or MP33CN (of which the 2700 are quite a bit lighter and can run on 16tonne axle load lines)

There are also Standard gauge versions which are MP33C.

Locos built in Idaho by Motive Power and 4 stroke Diesels  by Cummins as Doc stated.

More info here

How does a 4-stroke diesel work?

I know petrol engines go

Suck

Squeeze

Bang

Blow

but the whole point of diesel is you don't need a spark plug to provide the 'Bang' - hence them being two stroke. 

As far as I know

4 stroke diesel also goes

Suck

Squeeze

Bang

Blow

the difference being the bang is provided by the heat when the fuel / air compresses rather than a spark

• RMweb Premium

As far as I know

4 stroke diesel also goes

Suck

Squeeze

Bang

Blow

the difference being the bang is provided by the heat when the fuel / air compresses rather than a spark

All this sounds similar to instructions given to me when I had a Colonoscopy..........................

Iva Gonealready

How does a 4-stroke diesel work?

I know petrol engines go

Suck

Squeeze

Bang

Blow

but the whole point of diesel is you don't need a spark plug to provide the 'Bang' - hence them being two stroke. 

The same.....just uses heat from the high compression ratio to ignite the fuel.

T.O.P Mechanic

THanks for the education - I always thought they must be 2-stroke like old motorbikes 

The GM / EMD are 2 stroke Diesels but they tend to draw there air in via ports from the side when the piston is at the bottom of the stroke the intake ports are pressurised (generally via a supercharger) which forces the spent gasses out through conventional valves  rather than the upwards motion of the piston pushing it out so they fire every second stroke instead of every fourth.

so they go -

Squeeze / Bang

Force Feed/ Blow

I don't believe a 2 stroke diesel can just be fed via atmospheric pressure entering the cylinder through the vacuum created from a descending piston it must be pressurised. Where as a 4 stroke diesel does not have to be supercharged.

or something :scratchhead:

• RMweb Premium

I thought that said back and froth..................................thus this is the Hornby/Bachman/You name it Thread posters pet locomotive (I suspect the Yanks call them Units or something dumb) so look here you Trumpers....this is a sodding Unit attachicon.gifdownload.jpg

Shove that up yer Incline.

Mr OB

That be a unit on Balcombe / Ouse viaduct in East Sussex.

• RMweb Premium

The GM / EMD are 2 stroke Diesels but they tend to draw there air in via ports from the side when the piston is at the bottom of the stroke the intake ports are pressurised (generally via a supercharger) which forces the spent gasses out through conventional valves  rather than the upwards motion of the piston pushing it out so they fire every second stroke instead of every fourth.

so they go -

Squeeze / Bang

Force Feed/ Blow

I don't believe a 2 stroke diesel can just be fed via atmospheric pressure entering the cylinder through the vacuum created from a descending piston it must be pressurised. Where as a 4 stroke diesel does not have to be supercharged.

or something :scratchhead:

They can be, but they're not very efficient.  At all.  Under-piston 'supercharging' is used as an extra boost on big ones - very big ones like this one I worked on as a young engineer officer.

post-10195-0-79127000-1515697864_thumb.jpg

• Like 3