Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

Probably the York - Bournemouth I would think Phil.   Ran via Sheffield Victoria and reverse then up the GC to Woodford Halse, across to Banbury thence via Oxford, Reading West Curve (aka Oxford Road Curve), Basingstoke and the L&SWR branch to Bomo.  In its final years it was worked by a Darnall allocated EE Type 3 from Sheffield Vic to Banbury and changed engines again at Oxford.  But the engine working and changeover moved all over the shop over the years - at one time the Western engine came on at Leicester but still off at Oxford and I think if we go even further back in steam days the Eastern engine had worked through to Banbury.  Southern engines didn't normally seem to go north of Oxford although occasionally they got through to Banbury.

I believe that such inter-regional services only did the journey in one direction during the day such that two coaching stock rakes were needed, the other spending the day toddling from Bournemouth to York and then vice-versa the following day. I think I read somewhere that it was the responsibility of each region to supply one set each for such a working hence the ER would have a set and the SR would have a set, which of course should have been of the same formation. That would therefore explain the presence of green coaches (and, presumably, explain the sight of things like Gresley stock at Bournemouth).

Interestingly, when I was working in Manchester in the late 1980's at the main coaching stock maintenance depot there (Longsight), the (then) modern equivalent of this working was the Poole-Newcastle. And the stock was based at our depot! It was a FOUR day diagram: Manchester-Poole; Poole-Newcastle; Newcastle-Poole; Poole-Manchester. Hence four sets of coaches were required. We all focus on the thing at the front but often the workings of the coaching stock can be the most complex / interesting.

Meanwhile - back on topic:

Monte Carlo or bust!

(Sorry - just had to get that off my chest...)

• RMweb Gold

I say chaps, all this lavishly endowed pulchritude is a bit cruel on the morning I have had to leave Sherry, with at least a few weeks before we meet again, probably in France. My mood has not been helped by joining the up Golden Hind at Newton Abbot, only to sit there for 45’ while a fitter wrestled with the leading power car to little effect. Just passed Newbury 58’ late. I hope I get my Eurostar!

• RMweb Premium

I believe that such inter-regional services only did the journey in one direction during the day such that two coaching stock rakes were needed, the other spending the day toddling from Bournemouth to York and then vice-versa the following day. I think I read somewhere that it was the responsibility of each region to supply one set each for such a working hence the ER would have a set and the SR would have a set, which of course should have been of the same formation. That would therefore explain the presence of green coaches (and, presumably, explain the sight of things like Gresley stock at Bournemouth).

Interestingly, when I was working in Manchester in the late 1980's at the main coaching stock maintenance depot there (Longsight), the (then) modern equivalent of this working was the Poole-Newcastle. And the stock was based at our depot! It was a FOUR day diagram: Manchester-Poole; Poole-Newcastle; Newcastle-Poole; Poole-Manchester. Hence four sets of coaches were required. We all focus on the thing at the front but often the workings of the coaching stock can be the most complex / interesting.

Meanwhile - back on topic:

Monte Carlo or bust!

(Sorry - just had to get that off my chest...)

Didn't you have a maintenance set as well?

• RMweb Premium

I believe that such inter-regional services only did the journey in one direction during the day such that two coaching stock rakes were needed...

Similar to the Cleeforps - Sydmaaaaaff weekly summertime workings, what you was on about on that link <<<.

One set SR stock, the other LNER (or BR equivalents of).  The set being stored on the Sidmouth branch for the week when not in use.

post-1328-0-32582100-1516103509.jpg

Photo: John Mann Collection

Edited by Tim Dubya
  • Like 3

Judging by the state of some of the vehicles I think I can guess the answer to that one ;) .  Presumably just a few loose vehicles to swop in as spares and balanced exams for the four sets?

John is actually right on that one Mike. Certainly did have a maintenance set. Memory is a bit hazy; I suspect it was also cover for other sets, we had Manchr-Plymouth diagrams as well, stuff like that. I think the maint set could well have covered about 8 or 10 sets in total. Maint cover was for No.4 or No.7 exams which occurred every 36 cycle days.

But yes, some of the stock was getting a bit tired, especially the MkI catering cars (the bette noire of any maintenance depot). The MkII FO --> RFO conversions couldn't come soon enough.

Apologies Ducky - a bit adrift from your time frame, although I suspect some of the operational principles weren't too different. All rather different I suspect on today's all DMU WoEML.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

With all your talk of pie and a fast moving duck you all seem to have overwhelmed and quietened down the Hornby 2018 thread. Either that or the endless moaning brigade have moved on to all the product specific threads.

With all your talk of pie and a fast moving duck you all seem to have overwhelmed and quietened down the Hornby 2018 thread. Either that or the endless moaning brigade have moved on to all the product specific threads.

They're all laying low after the recent invasion from SOS Jct. regulars. :triniti: 

Probably not quite sure how to react to all this talk of Zeppelins and the like. :jester:

They will turn up sooner or later complete with their soapboxes and hard evidence that a flooglebinder has been modeled 25 microns too low on the in cab detail of the latest Hornbachy 0-6-0 for the month of March 1926. :O

• RMweb Premium

The endless moaning brigade were Trolls and they have returned under their bridges.

As for Monte Carlo or bust I would always choose bust................

The duck has been moving fairly slowly today, mainly on the creakingly cranky bog units to/from Lincolninium. The up one had a bad flat and was bloo#y freezing. The down one was sort of OK and the sun was out by then.

N.B. Linclone has a busy throughput of Liners (almost all FL) and there was one tanks, old green TTL I think they were.

N.B. Digitrains is a treasurehouse of stuff, nothing like Hereford Models' Cellar but pretty good. I spended some coins, round and flat,mainly on more Pecoboo Platform Concrete fronty bits.

I also met a damn fine bloke called Clive; we had an excellent chatting time.

Phart

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

John is actually right on that one Mike. Certainly did have a maintenance set. Memory is a bit hazy; I suspect it was also cover for other sets, we had Manchr-Plymouth diagrams as well, stuff like that. I think the maint set could well have covered about 8 or 10 sets in total. Maint cover was for No.4 or No.7 exams which occurred every 36 cycle days.

But yes, some of the stock was getting a bit tired, especially the MkI catering cars (the bette noire of any maintenance depot). The MkII FO --> RFO conversions couldn't come soon enough.

Apologies Ducky - a bit adrift from your time frame, although I suspect some of the operational principles weren't too different. All rather different I suspect on today's all DMU WoEML.

I have become a coach workings addict since discovering the Cleethroats Sidsmouth/Exmoth. The stock arrangements for that are often quite hilarious.

P

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

After the end of steam at Oxford shed, almost the only steam seen passing was on the York Bournmouth and Bournemouth York services. The pattern seemed to be two sets of coaches, alternating on the north and south bound services. Locos also alternated, a Bulleid or standard heading  north one day, and back the next, balanced usually by a black 5 in the other direction. One onre occasion when I was on the station, the York Bournmouth tutned up hauled by a 9F. A qiuick decision saw me paying excess fare to Reading West.

Sometime mid 1966, 34023 and 44942 at Walton Well Road bridge.

post-6902-0-66125400-1516113700_thumb.jpg

post-6902-0-05943200-1516114626_thumb.jpg

Many years later I had  an couple of interesting  cross country runs travelling back to London from the NEC. Among other places these called at Oxford and Reading before turning north off the main line after Acton. After a crawl through what appeared to be some very rusty and overgrown sidings, I was able to change at Kensington Olympia. I'm not sure where these services wer destined for.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 8

I have become a coach workings addict since discovering the Cleethroats Sidsmouth/Exmoth. The stock arrangements for that are often quite hilarious.

P

Coach Working Diagram; July 1962, Cleethorpes - Seaton

Monday:  red ones

Tuesday:  green ones

Wednesday:  red ones

Thursday: green ones

Friday: red ones

Saturday: anything left in the yard

Sunday: NPC, parcels, brakevans and as many pre-grouping wrecks as will roll

• Like 2

They're all laying low after the recent invasion from SOS Jct. regulars. :triniti:

Probably not quite sure how to react to all this talk of Zeppelins and the like. :jester:

They will turn up sooner or later complete with their soapboxes and hard evidence that a flooglebinder has been modeled 25 microns too low on the in cab detail of the latest Hornbachy 0-6-0 for the month of March 1926. :O

What is a Wigan Pie stuffed with and why do they have their own shops? Are they quarantined? Does Big Bertha do the stuffing, the Hornby thread is to complicated for me, to many questions.

Off for a lie down in a dark room or under a bridge.

T Roll.

• RMweb Premium

The endless moaning brigade were Trolls and they have returned under their bridges.

As for Monte Carlo or bust I would always choose bust................

The duck has been moving fairly slowly today, mainly on the creakingly cranky bog units to/from Lincolninium. The up one had a bad flat and was bloo#y freezing. The down one was sort of OK and the sun was out by then.

N.B. Linclone has a busy throughput of Liners (almost all FL) and there was one tanks, old green TTL I think they were.

N.B. Digitrains is a treasurehouse of stuff, nothing like Hereford Models' Cellar but pretty good. I spended some coins, round and flat,mainly on more Pecoboo Platform Concrete fronty bits.

I also met a damn fine bloke called Clive; we had an excellent chatting time.

Phart

There was me loitering around Lincoln station when I saw this poor duck waddling about, he was in desperate need of a visit to a model railway shop. So off we went and warmed up is the above noted Digitrains shop. I too came home with some bits and bobs....well a lot less bobs as had to give them to the nice lady so I could remove said bits. I did notice I had a nice lady serve me but Mr Duck had a nice young lady serve him. :scratchhead:

The tank wagons we saw looked quite old ones as they had the long walkways on top, just like the ones in Dave's first photo. In fact the tanks in the photo look more interesting than the loco.

We pottered down to the old St Marks station, some the shops having photos of the days when it was a station.

As for Lincoln station it is an impressive place despite the longest train being a 2 car pacer. The other two trains, yes at one point there were three trains in the station, being single car DMUs. Suppose coming from Essex were even off peak trains were eight cars long I was spoilt.

It made a lovely change to have a day out and to meet Phil. Cheers mate.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 3

As for Lincoln station it is an impressive place despite the longest train being a 2 car pacer. The other two trains, yes at one pint there were three trains in the station, being single car DMUs. Suppose coming from Essex were even off peak trains were eight cars long I was spoilt.

Peculiar station Lincoln, to say it serves the county town.

post-16151-0-71393100-1516122036_thumb.jpg

This is what happens when a 11 coach loco-hauled train pitches up. This is how the train came to a stand - the punters in the front coaches had to walk back through in order to disembark; in the meantime, no train can arrive from the east into that side of the station.

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 2