SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

Ah, so it's a dynamometer type tender rather than a fixed-to-a-loco type tender.

The Southern Region one remained attached to 35024 East Asiatic Company for some years. The weighing equipment incorporated a suspended bunker which was locked rigid when not weighing, allowing the tender to be used normally.

I presume, because it stayed with one loco, that its primary purpose was (or had become) to assess/compare coal quality.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

20 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Well, here is the Skateboard (Kit)20200325_091243.jpg.9682ae07daf669fc2feca01ed9311cfe.jpg

As with many things I have accumulated, this may well just 'sit'. However, I could quite easily get the Iron fired up and actually start to build it. After all, I quite enjoy messing around with brass and W.M.

The reason I have gone for this is that I have evidence of this being attached to a Packet that was at 72A with it between 1958 and 1961. 35024. Someone that worked there posted it on an Exeter memories FB Group. I could have it behind an unmodified packet (35018) in 1952, but that is stretching things too far.

I have to thank Peter at PDK for being arsed to sending this at this challenging time. I would also like to mention  and thank Bill Bedford who has furnished me with a set of Push Pull sides and ends (SR Ironclad SR D.414 & 136 Pull Push set)  for Set 381 I think it was at Seaton Junction until 1961. That is going to be a challenge to sort but I might use some available RTR items and hack them about. Who knows? Who bloody cares eh?

Bless you all and hope you are all safe and well?

Philth

Looking forward to seeing how you go with set 381 , you should be able to find a reasonable donor as that set were 9ft wide.  I hacked an old Airfix GW coach to make the 100 seater “Long Ten” but by the time I’d got the wheelbase right and slimmed it down to 8 ft there was very little left of the original!
Stay safe

Rich

3DAFDBF6-7C9C-43AA-AFED-24CCE4B1C0F2.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Cheers chaps and thanks Rich. To all of you, thank you for your faultless humour. How we need some lightening of the heart just now eh?

So I won't bore you with the tales of woe with this kit so far, other than to say I am going to offer Peter at PDK a few ideas for enhancing the instructions so that pillocks like me don't f##k things up due to being a ####.

Here she blows minus the angled coal space...that has been ditched due to incompetence....twice.....pah!

Instead of the shiny brass coal space there will be a sheet of something with coal on it and the big 'ole in the tender top will disappear.

First pic is the basic tender top; the coal space is supposed to be under that rectangular space. It isn't becaue it is a PITA. 

20200328_115946.jpg.487ad44ad19607e8bb983b65e2b77d76.jpg

This pic shows the Bunker sides and rear plate fitted plus some bits on the front Bulkhead and you can see a bit of one side and the rear. The sides needed a little curving to match the rear bulkhead shape. Won't bore you with how I dad that but it involved fingers and thumbs.

20200328_122437.jpg.3527d914b6cffb523dccb5c316c27e12.jpg

Shall we just say that this morning at Breakfast I realised that after two 'unsolderings' yesterday, I had still fu###d up the coal space that is supposed to sit under the tender 'top'. Obvious when you have made the mistake!

So what you see is the result of rehab mid morning and my idea of scrapping the brass coal space and just leaving it off.

This is a nice kit that fits well but so needs more explicit instructions for oiks like myself with maybe a few stage of build pictures for illustration. There is no diagram if the initial frame and body build and parts are nor numbered either although that isn't that vital if you have reasonable knowledge,

Phew.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 8

5 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Cheers chaps and thanks Rich. To all of you, thank you for your faultless humour. How we need some lightening of the heart just now eh?

So I won't bore you with the tales of woe with this kit so far, other than to say I am going to offer Peter at PDK a few ideas for enhancing the instructions so that pillocks like me don't f##k things up due to being a ####.

Here she blows minus the angled coal space...that has been ditched due to incompetence....twice.....pah!

Instead of the shiny brass coal space there will be a sheet of something with coal on it and the big 'ole in the tender top will disappear.

First pic is the basic tender top; the coal space is supposed to be under that rectangular space. It isn't becaue it is a PITA. 

20200328_115946.jpg.487ad44ad19607e8bb983b65e2b77d76.jpg

This pic shows the Bunker sides and rear plate fitted plus some bits on the front Bulkhead and you can see a bit of one side and the rear. The sides needed a little curving to match the rear bulkhead shape. Won't bore you with how I dad that but it involved fingers and thumbs.

20200328_122437.jpg.3527d914b6cffb523dccb5c316c27e12.jpg

Shall we just say that this morning at Breakfast I realised that after two 'unsolderings' yesterday, I had still fu###d up the coal space that is supposed to sit under the tender 'top'. Obvious when you have made the mistake!

So what you see is the result of rehab mid morning and my idea of scrapping the brass coal space and just leaving it off.

This is a nice kit that fits well but so needs more explicit instructions for oiks like myself with maybe a few stage of build pictures for illustration. There is no diagram if the initial frame and body build and parts are nor numbered either although that isn't that vital if you have reasonable knowledge,

Phew.

Great stuff Phil,

Perseverance indeed!

I think it's Paul Hill you need to contact at PDK, unless a Peter has taken over.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Great stuff Phil,

Perseverance indeed!

I think it's Paul Hill you need to contact at PDK, unless a Peter has taken over.

Regards,

Tony. 

Good morning my friend. Here's blessings to you both. Yes, Paul of course. My Brain ain't working (what's different eh?) Thank you.

I feel a bit cheeky criticising the Instructions, but one or two really simple things and a word or two added here and there will make them so much more clear and it only takes a bit of PC work using photo's these days. No drawing skills required really.

ATB

Phil

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Siberian Snooper said:

Hi Mr Duck, can you post a photo or two of the mangled bit(s), to see if it's salvageable or possible to make a new bit(s).

A. Fabricator.

No actual 'mangled bits' just one neat and foldy bit now left out. This is a pic of it (the coal hopper) that should, of course, have been fixed UNDER the top, not sat in the rectangular hole as I did it....Durrrrr! Instructions said "solder it on the tender top" (had it said to the underside of the tender top that would have sufficed for dilberts such as me. OK seems idiotic what I had done but there are funny bits sticking out of the top of this tender and I thought some were the sides of this bit!

If you look at the picture of the revised top posted above, you can imagine where this would fit underneath with all the relevant bits in place. There are no guidelines though and it is judgement as to where it should fit as the time you solder it on is before the top is fitted and other bits required for the position judgement are not actually in place, such as the front Bulkhead. I suspect Mr Wright would be able to work out a slightly more logical build sequence? In less challenging times, so might I.

20200329_102429.jpg.afb786687e582156c71c087fc181a490.jpg

This is actually a nice little kit IF you know what goes where and you have quite a bit of building experience and, of course, a fully functioning Brain.

I have considered making a Plasticard version with 'supports' on the 'tender floor' so it sits in the void, however I think a rectangular piece of whatever, supported by a couple of cross pieces glued in place and then with the coal load on top will suffice for my needs.

Philth

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

Mr Duck,

I am totally in awe of the progress you made on that tender kit. I have to admit to preferring plastic kits although I have recently tried a Falcon Models SR Shark and a Smallbrook Studio’s  Road van .

To be honest I think I had more success with not supergluing my fingers together with the latter. The first one only reaffirmed my belief that digits don’t make very good heat sinks.

Such fun!

Rich 

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Mr Duck,

I can't see an easy way to get the hopper in with the top fitted and I can see why you're reluctant to remove the top to fit it.

As you have mentioned a clearer set of destructions would have saved much angst in the construction process.  " next fit the hopper to the underside of the tank top " would have made a great difference to the instructions, especially to those not particularly au fait with a tenders innards.

Stay safe and well in these trying times.

A. Fabricator.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, Siberian Snooper said:

Mr Duck,

I can't see an easy way to get the hopper in with the top fitted and I can see why you're reluctant to remove the top to fit it.

As you have mentioned a clearer set of destructions would have saved much angst in the construction process.  " next fit the hopper to the underside of the tank top " would have made a great difference to the instructions, especially to those not particularly au fait with a tenders innards.

Stay safe and well in these trying times.

A. Fabricator.

Thanks buddy. Yes, quite challenging it is. Go safely.

Philth.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Good morning my friend. Here's blessings to you both. Yes, Paul of course. My Brain ain't working (what's different eh?) Thank you.

I feel a bit cheeky criticising the Instructions, but one or two really simple things and a word or two added here and there will make them so much more clear and it only takes a bit of PC work using photo's these days. No drawing skills required really.

ATB

Phil

Good evening my friend,

I hope you and yours are keeping safe.

Instruction? I never read any. Remember, PDK is a descendant of Crownline. Despite the excellence of the kits, did anyone ever follow the instructions?

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
56 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Good evening my friend,

Instruction? I never read any. Remember, PDK is a descendant of Crownline. Despite the excellence of the kits, did anyone ever follow the instructions?

Regards,

Tony. 

Thanks for the insight,  I have a 42xx to build, one day when I get round tuit.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Good evening my friend,

Regards,

Tony. 

It has taken me about ten years to understand why you always used to say that...…...:D

So far, in isolation (me for a month now as I encountered someone returned from Northern Italy the day before all thus suddenly kicked off) and trying to normalise. 

So, this is the time to get the layout finished isn't it. Will I be able to focus on that? I am starting with getting going on simple stuff, even this Tender) and hoping that will create momentum.

To you both and the boys all the very best. Sometime in the latter part of this year I am going to arrange to come down to just sit and watch trains at LB. Life is too short not to do this. Until then, thank you for your friendship and humour over the years. 

Phil

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Siberian Snooper said:

Very few weird bits on that Kit and with your experience you should be able to identify all the 'bits' as we all know WR Engines were standard parts...…..and there are a million pictures available and as far as I am aware the Bunker has no weird sticky up/down/in/out bits! Chunky engine to play with though.

Take care buddy. 

P

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

56 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

It has taken me about ten years to understand why you always used to say that...…...:D

So far, in isolation (me for a month now as I encountered someone returned from Northern Italy the day before all thus suddenly kicked off) and trying to normalise. 

So, this is the time to get the layout finished isn't it. Will I be able to focus on that? I am starting with getting going on simple stuff, even this Tender) and hoping that will create momentum.

To you both and the boys all the very best. Sometime in the latter part of this year I am going to arrange to come down to just sit and watch trains at LB. Life is too short not to do this. Until then, thank you for your friendship and humour over the years. 

Phil

'Until then, thank you for your friendship and humour over the years.'

The sentiments are entirely mutual, Phil,

Take care.

Regards,

Tony.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Mallard60022 said:

Sometime in the latter part of this year I am going to arrange to come down to just sit and watch trains at LB. Life is too short not to do this.

I think this is a very important point, not just for you but for all of us.

A 'bucket list' is perhaps too serious a concept, but there are people I want to meet and layouts I want to see, so when the shackles are finally removed I will be planning some trips away.

You have been warned :)

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

1 hour ago, Stubby47 said:
2 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

sit and watch trains. Life is too short not to do this.

I do this all the time,  Go to the train room, turn it all on and just watch the trains go round and round.  Up trains clockwise on the lower circuit, Down trains anti clockwise on the upper circuit.  Always interesting when they sync over the viaduct!  Beats board games!:lol:

Brian.

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

I think this is a very important point, not just for you but for all of us.

A 'bucket list' is perhaps too serious a concept, but there are people I want to meet and layouts I want to see, so when the shackles are finally removed I will be planning some trips away.

You have been warned :)

You're welcome at any time Stu.

• Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

In the time you've not built a tender, I've not built a bridge...

20200329_173453.jpg.7cd49181d96081e21d8f75c5b989b736.jpg

I didn't follow the instructions because there aren't any!

I am in total admiration of you chaps that can build whole engines and things... I just can't concentrate any more.  Perhaps I have one of those modern neurodiversity things.  My work sequence teds to be, open the box, lose interest for a day.  Come back after a bit and cut pieces off sprue, start cleaning up flash and cut marks and lose interest,  Several days later, start gluing pieces together, then find out I've done it wrong and lose interest.  Several days later, have a bit of a spurt and get the whole kit 8/10ths finished and then lose interest.  

And that's how it will probably stay for quite some time.  It really is frustrating, I just cannot focus and lose myself in the modelling.

• Friendly/supportive 12

19 hours ago, Siberian Snooper said:

Never heard of a kit that listed a round tuit as part of the items not supplied?

But maybe that's what I need for when the hole in one bit doesn't line up properly with the hole in the bit it is supposed to join to??

Hope you are all well and keeping safe!

Cheers

Paul

• Thanks 1