SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

4 hours ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

I am trying to avoid humans whilst walking around the park... there are loads of them out here getting in my way. Especially the panting heavy breathing types, what are they called? 

Stalkers?

• Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

I am trying to avoid humans whilst walking around the park... there are loads of them out here getting in my way. Especially the panting heavy breathing types, what are they called? 

Mostly, Gove.

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, Mulgabill said:

Just to help keep this remotely On Topic.

Brains Faggots & Pies were produced in Station Road, New Cheltenham, Bristol,

This location was actually at the foot of Rodway Common, hard against the MR

Gloucester - Bristol line, just West of Mangotsfield Station. The Road did not lead to the station,

except as part ofa very circuitous route. However when the goods yard / CE Depot fell out of

use (probably 1966 - 68) Brains took over the site for a car park, and had to engineer an

access road up the embankment to track level. The first time the yard had any road

access! Unfortunately I cannot confirm that any pies were ever despatched by train.

Neither the factory, car park, or goods yard now exists - but there is an excellent model

of Mangotsfield Station, which can be be found on Flikr under the builders title of

model geek.

ATB

TONY

In Cardiff, S.A Brain is the local brewery and has been for a very long time. 

So, it is quite possible to have a nice supper of Brains faggots, chips and peas, washed down with a pint of Brains......

Rob. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

I wonder if one could have that in the Brains Surgery pub in Larkhall? You could certainly have had the pint. Sadly now closed, I had a few in there in the early 2000s when visiting a friend of SWMBO just down the road.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, petethemole said:

I wonder if one could have that in the Brains Surgery pub in Larkhall? You could certainly have had the pint. Sadly now closed, I had a few in there in the early 2000s when visiting a friend of SWMBO just down the road.

Bet that got you in a load of trouble?

Drinking and chatting up SWMBO's friend?

Stay safe, this afternoon's figures are depressing!

Paul

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Tallpaul69 said:

Bet that got you in a load of trouble?

Drinking and chatting up SWMBO's friend?

Stay safe, this afternoon's figures are depressing!

Paul

SWMBO was also present, and also her and our kids. Mind you, she was a former glamour model....

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 31/03/2020 at 14:46, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

Crikkey, take it easy old chap!  Anyway, thinking of Vicars.

I have a chum whose wife is a bit religious.  So to keep her sweet, and to do a bit of handy social climbing, he chats to the local Vic every Sunday.  One week the conversation is books, and my chum spots a chance to shine; 'I'm reading Barchester Towers' he says (he isn't)  'Splendid, Trollope had some views on the Church' says Vic.

Next week, wife poorly, chum goes along on his own.  After the sermon, up comes Vic.  'How's the Trollope?' he asks; 'I left her at home this week, she wasn't feeling well' says chum.

Didn't Harold Macmillan say in an interview at the time of the Profumo scandal that he always took a Trollope on holiday? Mind you, his domestic circumstances were certainly unusual.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 12/04/2020 at 16:13, Ashley Bridge said:

It’s gone very quiet on here. Are you okay, your Duckiness?

On 12/04/2020 at 21:50, brianusa said:

These days, its quiet all over!:fie:

Brian.

On 12/04/2020 at 23:42, St Enodoc said:

He's just posted somewhere else, so I reckon the answer's "yes".

Much appreciate your interest chaps. My apologies. Been trying to get to grips with things and normalise and bed in the 'new meds' for the old Dog  that has reappeared. Getting somewhere the last few days thank goodness. Not been doing a lot except build plastic kits.

20200414_111501-1.jpg.7d4b89de9e54c92c21cbe916adef00ce.jpg

Cambrian Shark, Dave F's Buffers just fitted this morning after my walk;(not necessarily those for this Van but they were spare and looked good B.R. ones). I haven't fitted the 'Ploughs' yet as they are supposed to be painted before fitting and the paint is carp on them at the moment and needs 'weathering'. 

I have been up the Junction to do a bit but no progress layout wise just yet. However I have been contemplating the Fiddle yard 'covers' and that maybe needs a rethink......plenty of time to think eh?

Ran a couple of trains a few days back and nothing fell off or stuttered despite no movement for months. 

Trying to resist a silly urge to get some 'Plates' for my Railroad Mallard and get it 'detailed' a little better; needs front Lamp Irons and a decent Screw Link + Bang Plate. (Ran through The Junction Feb 1963 on a Down Special).

Hope you all enjoying the lovely weather today and you are all getting along fine?

P

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 5

Its sunny but chilly here at Fritters Towers... the black dog is nipping at my heels, but I am trying to be productive in the shed.  Small bits of scenic work in progress.  Or they would be if I could find any sodding PVA 

Glad you're ok, Duckmeister.

<EDIT>

I'm also supposed to be working from home

ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaa

Edited by Dr Gerbil-Fritters
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Aha Phil - delighted to see you're still chipper.

I dunno' your railway is taking on a distinctly nautical flavouring - now we have sharks being spotted in the Devon region.

I caught a shark off the coast of Ireland once - not a pleasant experience - it had many teeth!

Been a bit under the weather of late - spent five days in the Hospital with Viral Pneumonia, but managed to avoid the Covid thing

Now have been told by HMG I'm under house arrest until end June!

Maybe between now and then I will manage to get enough energy to at least get the covers off the old engine shed. However carpentry is very decidedly off the menu, so there won't be much work done!

Edited by bigwordsmith
  • Friendly/supportive 9

Sounds like all three of you need to be careful, hope you collectively feel better soon. 

I got to grips with that Falcon Models shark, actually fitted the ploughs then got waylaid by the great weather in the garden over the weekend. The fact that the wifi works out there didn’t help!

look after yourselves,  Rich.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Take care all, specially Smiffy. I would not fancy 5 days in a Hospital even in the best of times...bless you buddy. It is the endless, negative news fall out that I am desperately trying to avoid. I have fallen out with the BBC news big time now; still love the Radio stuff but turn down/off every time a news bite comes on. Radio 4 Extra though does not have News!!!!!! Sadly it loops/repeats through the day/night so I often hear things three times!

hey ho, 

Now here is a what would normally be a sort of black fact...…. that the average monthly, March/April time death toll in the UK for the last 5 years at this time...………………….is almost exactly the same as it is at the moment. That actually comes from the Gov Dept. for Stats and was posted elsewhere and I was gob smacked, but very weirdly, in a reassuring way. I can't believe I am actually saying this! Of course, what we never hear about is the 'normal' number of folk that actually pass away every month in 'normal' situations. This shite Virus will increase the numbers somewhat and there is no complacency, but the screaming headlines about the 'toll' so far that is shoved in our faces is bad Karma as far as I am concerned.

Sorry to post that here but strangely it has decreased my Anxiety by a good deal.

ATB to you all.

Phith

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium

Good evening friends. As I am so slow a doing stuff I would be happy for anyone to post pics of things they are managing to do, almost do, think about doing on here to keep it 'live'.

Also, as Rob on ANTB has asked, so shall I. Recommendations for decent material(s) for typical cutting and embankment scenic toppings. I shall probably be using plaster bandage or similar as the base-work. I have got and considered using Teddy Bear Fur but that will need the clippers for 'mowing'.  Thanks in anticipation.

Best wishes to you all.

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, eastwestdivide said:

You're right about the news - I'm rationing mine to once a day, and hitting the mute button for any that sneaks up on the radio. 

I've been deliberately missing most of the news as I don't need to see all the derpressing bits, and keeping largely away from the internet except for a quick look through the site and a few other things I follow.

5 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

As I am so slow a doing stuff I would be happy for anyone to post pics of things they are managing to do, almost do, think about doing on here to keep it 'live'.

I put all my ongoing projects tidy last week. Now in individual trays with the bits needed to finish where they are to hand. On thing I rediscovered was the Bachmann 64xx I bought for a bargain price a couple of years ago. I wanted a 74xx but had given up on them retooling to the later version cab which these had.

It had been dismantled, the cab altered, de-auto fitted and given a spray with Halfords Matt Black. All that remained to be done was to weather, fit the reversing lever and crew in the cab, fire irons, lamps vac and steam pipes and reassembe the body and cab onto the chassis.

This is the result.

7424.jpg.a0c193deb05060593e4a8a98bd907234.jpg

A bit of playing trains has been done this week, so 7424 worked in with a short trip, picked up a couple of extra wagons then set off for the goods branch.

7424-2.jpg.b96ed91a775679e3266a40e4f8832943.jpg7424-3.jpg.26a694a447a4fda7c68cd9bf19e9e048.jpg7424-1.jpg.36782db587b90180d5977db0fae9613a.jpg

The coach in the background is an Airfix Lav Brake converted to a Pull-Push.

Edited by TheSignalEngineer
  • Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

For groundwork, I've cut profiles from 4mm ply and placed at around 4 to 6 inches apart and then filled the gaps with polystyrene, once the glue has dried, I carve the blocks using a hacksaw blade which is flexible enough to be made to follow the contours of the profiles. It's messy. Once complete the area is then covered with plaster, with kiddies powder paint mixed in with it to give it some colour. Warning you will need to mix various different colours of the powder paint to avoid a garish finish. Powder paint is/was available from The Early Learning Centre.

For ground cover, fibreous carpet underlay, bleached and dyed. Cut the underlay into about 3 inch squares and put into a bucket of medium strength bleach for a couple of days and then remove and allow to dry. Then put into a bucket of olive green dye, remove some squares a different times to give different hues of green. Once dry pull the underlay apart, remove the plastic threads. To use it spray an area around 6 square inches, get hold of a clump of fibres snip with scissors and stick in the glue as you get near the edge of the glue, spray the next area. Once set  snip the fibres to the required length. You can also add static grass and fix with hair spray.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

Up until a couple of weeks ago, when the world panicked and stockpiled it all, my favourite was kitchen roll, laid over shaped polystyrene and liberally dosed with runny PVA. When it gets soft enough all the little bumps/fibre shaping smooth out then you can paint it and static grass after.

I too avoid the constant updates otherwise it’s like listening to the mind numbing football scores on a Saturday. I set a warning for 10.25 and fail miserably at popmaster, then switch to Gold turned right down for background. It is probably hideously wasteful as you can only get it on the tv so that runs all day costing the equivalent of an electric fire,I’m told.

I will try and post photos of my efforts but find that all a bit 21st century.

Rich 

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1