SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

what I do (with thin sleepered track like C&L) is to actually paint neat PVA around the sleepers, once the track is glued down and the webbing between the sleepers removed. It's very time-consuming, but also kind of therapeutic if done a little at a time.

I did that on the first St Enodoc layout (the branch terminus). Never again - life's too short.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks CK. I am trying to remember what I read somewhere about alternatives to PVA as that gives a concrete like finish to the ballast. I shall have to resort to reading some layout building threads on here.

Re the sucking up ballast situation, I was told to use a filter on/up the hose end of the VC; a piece of old tights was suggested :scared: but I couldn't cope with cutting up my tights.

It might have been on the Soloman DVD where, IIRC, he just puts diluted (PVC?) glue down with neat masking tape edges where the Cess will be, then the track (I think?) then pours ballast all over the whole area. When it is dry he then VCs the excess ballast using the 'filter method'. In theory this means ballast does not get stuck to the sleepers........not yet tried this particular method if that is how it went (I'm awaiting the return of my Soloman DVD from a Webber)?

Quackers.

Copydex or Matte Medium - diluted in both cases of course.

I've used a thin layer of Copydex (oh! rubbery!) with reasonable success in the past, and with the short wait until it's almost dry I've used a ballast mate ( Green Scene product ) to good effect and push the ballast down between the sleepers.

Since using the ballast mate I've found it quicker, convenient and seemingly less waste together with the inherent easy of use, plus, the stuff goes where you want it too with less stray "boulders" to clean up.

Of course you could always invest in one of these by Herr Veissman !

post-20303-0-53240100-1453381537.jpeg

Ho Ho Ho scale !

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

You could be putting the PVA on too thick. I must say that I prefer the all in one method, I lightly tamp the ballast immediately after its laid to remove any ridges. You can always use masking tape to create a clean edge if you so wish.

Phil, the Grange is up and running on its new chassis.

Yay, I'd forgotten that Grange!!

Phil

• RMweb Premium

I've used a thin layer of Copydex (oh! rubbery!) with reasonable success in the past, and with the short wait until it's almost dry I've used a ballast mate ( Green Scene product ) to good effect and push the ballast down between the sleepers.

Since using the ballast mate I've found it quicker, convenient and seemingly less waste together with the inherent easy of use, plus, the stuff goes where you want it too with less stray "boulders" to clean up.

Of course you could always invest in one of these by Herr Veissman !

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Ho Ho Ho scale !

I'd also forgotten that I actually have two ballast hopper thingys....doh!"

Hands up anyone else that has just been to Aquarobics. I thought I'd be quite good at this as I am a duck but nooooooooooo, I am more like a bl**dy Sealion in shallow water....not nice for the public to witness.

The ballast at SJ is actually quite ordinary and not neat and tidy over most of the site. There are tidy bits like the Branch in front of the Signal Box for example.

post-2326-0-81178200-1453383236.png

post-2326-0-30732400-1453383107.jpg

post-2326-0-30488500-1453383125_thumb.jpg

I'm not exhibiting this so as long as it suits me I'm happy. That point rodding is going to be fun.............and that little ground signal on the right in the B & W pic (click on that for a really sharp view of the Junction.)

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 7

The ballast at SJ is actually quite ordinary and not neat and tidy over most of the site. There are tidy bits like the Branch in front of the Signal Box for example.

I dunno - I think the second (larger) pic, showing the branch, shows that it IS quite neat. The ballast bed looks flat and even across the entire 4 track formation then drops away to form the shoulder. The corresponding shoulder for the branch then forms the Vee on lower level compacted ash / cinders (probably) in front of the signal box.

Easily re-create-able using either the foam with the middle bits filled in or chamfered cork pieces and hand ballasted. Your choice!

Incidentally, for those bits of Grantham away from the mainlines where I'm not using foam, the ballasting is being done as described by others by painted dilute PVA between sleepers and scattering the ballast / ash /cinders on top. Neat edges not so important for sidings, etc. Fortunately, I have a willing volunteer who seems to enjoy this work!

• RMweb Premium

I dunno - I think the second (larger) pic, showing the branch, shows that it IS quite neat. The ballast bed looks flat and even across the entire 4 track formation then drops away to form the shoulder. The corresponding shoulder for the branch then forms the Vee on lower level compacted ash / cinders (probably) in front of the signal box.

Easily re-create-able using either the foam with the middle bits filled in or chamfered cork pieces and hand ballasted. Your choice!

Incidentally, for those bits of Grantham away from the mainlines where I'm not using foam, the ballasting is being done as described by others by painted dilute PVA between sleepers and scattering the ballast / ash /cinders on top. Neat edges not so important for sidings, etc. Fortunately, I have a willing volunteer who seems to enjoy this work!

So baz is kidding when he says he hates it  then........?

I think the foam will create those neat edges where required in the Station area.

Phil

• RMweb Gold

I'd also forgotten that I actually have two ballast hopper thingys....doh!"

Hands up anyone else that has just been to Aquarobics. I thought I'd be quite good at this as I am a duck but nooooooooooo, I am more like a bl**dy Sealion in shallow water....not nice for the public to witness.

attachicon.gifdownload (1).png

attachicon.gif32_british_rail_seat_177351.jpg

attachicon.gif00-0-a-rs-greenwood-GE15-9-7-61.jpg

I'm not exhibiting this so as long as it suits me I'm happy. That point rodding is going to be fun.............and that little ground signal on the right in the B & W pic (click on that for a really sharp view of the Junction.)

Phil

ooh, an SR yellow arm ground signal - delectable things.

• RMweb Premium

How do I get some info on that Mike? Thanks for the ID. There might be another of those somewhere in the Yards but I can't remember where i saw it!!!!!

Is it one of these?post-2326-0-64360000-1453389624.png

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Have decided that I must go in the loft and do some exploring as I keep discovering things I'd forgotten about..................I can't even remember how many bl**dy 'Packets' I've got.........I did make a list some time ago but where is it now?

Oh dear, what a sad man I be.

Ducky.

• RMweb Premium

I've just found some nice SR Disc ready painted, at Antics (Detail Matters product that I'd never heard of).

post-2326-0-52520400-1453391042.jpg

They have WR ones as well you Swindon boys.

I see that the Grecians gave Liverpool a hard time last evening but gained loads of respect; well done those chaps.

Ducky. 

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

I've just found some nice SR Disc ready painted, at Antics (Detail Matters product that I'd never heard of).

They (Detail Matters?) trade on Ebay as jasdcatman, not sure if its any cheaper (or the same company) though?

Edited by Tim Dubya

• RMweb Gold

How do I get some info on that Mike? Thanks for the ID. There might be another of those somewhere in the Yards but I can't remember where i saw it!!!!!

Is it one of these?attachicon.gifimages.png

Phil

It's one of those Phil but I don't think there's a picture of one with a yellow arm in George's book.  Incidentally contrary to what has been posted I'm not at all sure if the Southern Region ever changed over to using half discs with a yellow stripe on a white background but they did - I think - have some with yellow on a black background.  But for thh era you are modelling the one as per illustration and that piccie of Seaton are what you need, some lasted like that into the late 1980s (if you knew where to look).

BTW those jasdcatman dummy hand point levers (also sold under another name) are probably the best looking ones on the market albeit a little fragile as they are cast in margarine metal.

• RMweb Premium

Pecoboo C75 with a little bit of Scaleway C75 in the Yards ( I have 4m spare from a previous project.)

Quackers.

Hi Phil

The reason I asked is in your photos there is a mixture of flatbottom on the fast lines and bull'ead elsewhere. So looks like it might be rightish :good: :good:

• RMweb Premium

Clive ...yup it looks 'rightish'. I was going to try and use 'proper job track' but it was far too expensive and apart from the sleeper thickness and spacing, the Pecoboo C75 looks OK to me and life really is too short in this instance. I've even almost given up on altering the sleeper spacing having seen Mr Grant Ham's C100 trackwork.

There are a few things that were altered in the time span I cover. Some signals from lower to upper quads, some Incline track from FB/ wood to FB/ concrete sleepers and a few cosmetic changes at the Station. I'm afraid SOSJ will have what I can get/scrounge/build.

What I'll try to replicate are the 60' rail lengths on the fast throughs, where possible. 'Nicks' in the rail tops I suspect and maybe cosmetic fishplates. Depends what they look like and if I CBA. I might just get some decent wheel sounds then.

The whole thing, if it ever gets done, will be very much on the lines of ANTB in that it will have the 'flavour' (or spirit) of the actual place, but around 1958 to 1964-6 with SOSJ. (That almost sounds like sausage so CK has been right all along).

Mike, I have found the other arm ground signal. I shall be PMing you a track/signal plan for the Junction so you can have a shufty. The signal plan for the Incline Box suggests that there were 4 of these up there as well but I'm not convinced from the one photo I have where I can just see one. It looks like a disc, but I'm not certain.

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 2

Is it one of these?attachicon.gifimages.png

Phil

Hi,

I was going to make some of these, in 7mm scale, but don't know if I will. I have a few  photos of the one that was Midsomer Norton in 2012, if that is any help.

post-18971-0-93455700-1453414097.jpg

But it looks if you'll be using a rtr Westinghouse sort of semi circular variety, or did I get that wrong?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

I was going to make some of these, in 7mm scale, but don't know if I will. I have a few  photos of the one that was Midsomer Norton in 2012, if that is any help.

attachicon.gif_MG_4454.jpg

But it looks if you'll be using a rtr Westinghouse sort of semi circular variety, or did I get that wrong?

Brilliant thanks. There are at least two of these, with 100% evidence of one at SJ Down Yard so I would love to do one if not some more. The SR Westinghouse ones are non working and that suits me as long as they look good. Those could be replaced by working examples if I ever get a round tuit.      

Lovely photo; much appreciated. May I save to my SJ File please?    

Phil                              

• RMweb Premium

I've been driving past M-S-N station for years and never had a look around (more fool me). I will make the effort next open day as I also need to take some pics of the LSWR dia 1410 van there before I build the Geen and resin kits I have in the "to do" pile. I also went to college in the old goods shed, pre preservation days (mine and theirs).

• Like 1