SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Hi Ducky,

A bit late to the party, sorry (had a bit of a busy weekend!)

Track laying is brill (well, I think so anyway)

Curves are quite kinky, but laying them to the alignment pins will have them c0ck on (or should that be 'drake on' in your case?)

We can easily 'sort' a 6 foot centre Peco X-over for you so do plan on that basis

Can't help you with floating not pinning - but if it works for you.

I have to confess that I've lost the plot slightly as to what combination of foam/ballast/track you're planning to use round this side of the loft (or is it still under consideration?). Is this just a trial therefore or is it stuck down for keeps? If you're going to use Peco n foam, then spraying before laying for both will make a big difference visually and is a quick way to get to a decent appearance.

Standing by for a further call to action if required...

Have 'responded' to offer of assistance (very many thanks) but you woz busy with yer erection of Grantham for exhibitionist purposes.

I've been laying this bit as a practice run and the foam is stuck down (mostly) but is expendable. Still though uncertain about the ballast type along this section. I'm happy to rip it up and especially as you can help with that 6' Xing; brilliant news. Otherwise, if adjustment of the track with the foam as it is then that would be good as well.

What is more or less decided is the actual 'run', but even that could still be adjusted to create a better 'look'. 

Stu (Stubby) I think it was, mentioned pinning track at the side(s) (IIRC) I've wondered about pinning near the chairs so the pin heads are not so easily seen? The pins are only there to hold and not banged in so as to distort the sleeper. Peco pins do not work on this chipboard section.

I know it is not quite what we considered, however I reckoned that this section would be good to practise on (for me) and then by the time we get to the Station area I should be more experienced.

Phil 

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 2

50mm track centres, which equates to 12' 6"; the prototypical dimension is 11' 2"

There isn't really an equivalent to the '6 foot' dimension in OO cos the track gauge is narrower than it should be...

But we aren't going to start a track thread here are we boys n girls?

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Go on I'm bored...

EM-2, rules!

YAY!

FIGHT, FIGHT, FIGHT!

Edit:

Think I may have already started one over on the TT thread by saying OO's a c**k up :nono:

OOPS!  :jester:

Edited by Tim Dubya

• RMweb Premium

50mm track centres, which equates to 12' 6"; the prototypical dimension is 11' 2"

There isn't really an equivalent to the '6 foot' dimension in OO cos the track gauge is narrower than it should be...

HI Mr 4479

You are right that Peco track centers are set at 50mm and the prototype minimum is 11ft 2 ins (44 and quite a bit mm, but not quite 45mm). What many of the disciples of handbuilt track forget is that 11ft 2 ins is the minimum, there is no maximum so is Peco centers at 50mm too wide or correct for my railway? :dontknow:

In 1/76th scale the minimum track should be the same dimension for all track gauges, cos the fings on top is the all same size and need the same clearances.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Double bu**er !!

Sorry, Mr Duck, Sir, but I omitted to add enough seats inside the tunnel.

Humble apologies again.

When you put them in, please note that the red colour is a trick of the light, they're actually green when they're first installed, although some tunnels have blue ones.

HI Mr 4479

You are right that Peco track centers are set at 50mm and the prototype minimum is 11ft 2 ins (44 and quite a bit mm, but not quite 45mm). What many of the disciples of handbuilt track forget is that 11ft 2 ins is the minimum, there is no maximum so is Peco centers at 50mm too wide or correct for my railway? :dontknow:

In 1/76th scale the minimum track should be the same dimension for all track gauges, cos the fings on top is the all same size and need the same clearances.

Yes, absolutely correct - the 'six foot' is a minimum prototype dimension and can be greater. The obvious examples are ex-GWR broad gauge lines and any new build high speed lines, the obvious example of the latter being High Speed 1 which has a far more 'continental' look to it. The 'six foot' typically breaks down in station areas where other railway paraphernalia gets in the way - Ducky himself has the perfect example with the support for the station footbridge causing the two principal tracks to widen the gap between them to go round it.

The only factor I would point out is that, in the mid-nineteenth century, when many of railways were laid down, the railway builders would have used the six foot minimum whenever they could - the evidence is all around us in all the bridges, viaducts, embankments and tunnels they've left us. I bet it's a strict six foot through Honiton tunnel - why dig a tunnel out any wider than you have to?

The other evidence is the number of times a glass of drink gets knocked over sideways in the 125mph ECML HST I'm travelling on by the WHUMPH of another one doing a similar speed in the other direction!

See - we've started a track thread!

• RMweb Premium

Yes, absolutely correct - the 'six foot' is a minimum prototype dimension and can be greater. The obvious examples are ex-GWR broad gauge lines and any new build high speed lines, the obvious example of the latter being High Speed 1 which has a far more 'continental' look to it. The 'six foot' typically breaks down in station areas where other railway paraphernalia gets in the way - Ducky himself has the perfect example with the support for the station footbridge causing the two principal tracks to widen the gap between them to go round it.

The only factor I would point out is that, in the mid-nineteenth century, when many of railways were laid down, the railway builders would have used the six foot minimum whenever they could - the evidence is all around us in all the bridges, viaducts, embankments and tunnels they've left us. I bet it's a strict six foot through Honiton tunnel - why dig a tunnel out any wider than you have to?

The other evidence is the number of times a glass of drink gets knocked over sideways in the 125mph ECML HST I'm travelling on by the WHUMPH of another one doing a similar speed in the other direction!

See - we've started a track thread!

Last night I went through a few of my OLE drawings of the real railway. On the LNWR track centers went down to 11ft in places :yes: :yes: The widest I came across in my limited check was 11 ft 6ins and that was at a cross over, they must have been using Peco points :imsohappy:

Perfectly OK for the red-blooded though!

Keep on eating the geckos!

"This film contains scenes that some viewers may find upsetting".

It also contains scenes that some viewers may find  .  .  .  .   errrmmmm  .  .  .  .   what's the word I'm looking for?

• RMweb Premium

Drop the dead donkey. Peco announce C75 OO Bullhead track. Due this year. Now, I don't know if this is good news or not as I have all the C75 track I require and it turns out that this is all FB. However, Peco 'look' bullhead would be very nice thank you on the Station loops (as it was in reality) and in the Yards at SOSJ.

Good job I've got Larryitis and am going to be redoing my track (with pro help this time) on the Incline (that was/is FB) as that takes time. Then I need to do the through mains at the Station and they were FB on wooden sleepers, so that's a bit more time. Is it worth waiting....................?

Maybe I'll just sell some of my existing, unused C75? I've got a whole box of Concrete Sleeper that I don't need.

I'd use C & L/SMP bullhead but the sleeper spacing would be so different to the Peco FB (and I've given up on respacing the Peco sleepers on main line runs).

Oh ar$e, decisions, decisions.

Quackers.

• RMweb Gold

Never mind Dr Quackington, how about Coachmann?  He'll be about ready to drop a fusible plug the amount of times he's changed track.....

I thought (and please correct me if I'm wrong), that Coachmann had used something like SMP on one of his earlier layouts?