Washout at Dawlish

• RMweb Premium

Welcome Back

I wondered yesterday if they had fitted a wind cover to the microphone but now I wonder if they have added a "noise gate", which is a bit of electronics which silences the audio below a certain sound level, either way sounds good.

OK I suppose as quality is better and you can't hear the Orange Army (well, couple of blokes and a shovel or two) and others conversations. However I enjoyed listening to that lovely swishing of the waves and the gulls calling; very sea-side and we have lost that. Sound 'wash-out' at Dawlish....booooo!

P

Edited by Mallard60022

Just been down Sealawn/Riviera terraces

security guys gone, asa well as traffic lights

guys in the webcam pic are digging along the concrete wall

for laying drainage gully

concrete lorry due at 9 am

gully sections still at Dawlish Warren compound

orange army sweating in the morning sun

must say I am impressed with what they have moved since I was down there 3/4 hour ago

Got to go out now

but will post pics later

post-22449-0-30744000-1400313429_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

You have to much time on your hands!

I saw it too though! :laugh:

Light 66 on the way! :yahoo:

Nah, I'm just looking out of the window...........

which way the 66 or was that the pair ?

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Nah, I'm just looking out of the window...........

which way the 66 or was that the pair ?

yeah, that was the pair!

They were in the loop at DW for a while whilst an HST went passed.

5Z77 43150 + coach + 43138 just went west.

Then 048N 66602 (wheel flat?) and 66614 west.

P

Pictures of the mini HST from the replay.  The coach had two windows blanked off and a tiny piece of yellow first class stripe.  Is this something to do with the first class to standard class conversion?

post-17625-0-77526700-1400347145_thumb.jpg

post-17625-0-07376500-1400347148_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

That's one of the mini-buffets, they've been in traffic for a while now. Although all the seating is standard class the yellow stripe is there to discourage standard passengers boarding at the buffet end and walking past the counter to the seats. First class passengers thinking it was for them would presumably turn the opposite way to the TF they are usually coupled to at the counter end.

• RMweb Premium

That was in Hackney yard yesterday.

yes, there's a rail reclamation centre there. That train goes around the country picking up used CWR. Its then brought down to Hackney where its unloaded. The rail is then Ultrasonically tested for defects and measured for wear. Depending on the outcome of those tests the rail is either re-used on lower category lines or in the case of unserviceable, its cropped into 20 foot sections and goes for scrap. A lot of it was coming down from the WCML modernisation and latterly between Bristol and Taunton although at the moment it may be picking up further afield.

photos from early this am Sat 17 May 2014

house in Riviera Terrace thats  still unoccupied

post-22449-0-24989900-1400352205_thumb.jpg

with the garage that was disemboweled by the waves

post-22449-0-04761400-1400352260_thumb.jpg

there is a 4-6 inch gap betrween the wall & the concrete foundation laid along underneath

post-22449-0-76024600-1400352373_thumb.jpg

definate  crack along the top of the fourth course of bricks 

post-22449-0-20785400-1400352532_thumb.jpg

dinky roller along side the garage

post-22449-0-06771600-1400352604_thumb.jpg

looking past the damaged building

post-22449-0-97248900-1400352684_thumb.jpg

work still to be done to join the new concrete to the old parapet

post-22449-0-58317000-1400352733_thumb.jpg

digging out to lay the drainage gully along side the road

to empty on to the railway at the Station end of the new outer wall

post-22449-0-20636100-1400352819_thumb.jpg

the first bit is Sealawn Terrace, followed by Riviera Terrace

the first few houses built in Sealawn Terrace

appear on Old Maps 1889? dawlish town map at 1-500 scale

post-22449-0-20183200-1400353007_thumb.jpg

Sealawn Terrace at 8 am today

post-22449-0-80507400-1400353356_thumb.jpg

work still to be done to the parapet at Station end of new outer seawall

post-22449-0-52193200-1400353463_thumb.jpg

WOW  what a perfect beach holiday day it was today

2 tankers & a container ship at anchor 5 miles out

50 to 60 yachts out of Exmouth racing across the bay

word "racing" used loosely as there was very little wind

a millionaires  luxury yacht at anchor off shore, probably out of Torquay harbour

4 power boats way out under full throttle

6-8 Kayaks

rowing boat

fishing boat,

RLNI Life boat under maneouvers,

probably Exmouths new waterjet one doing crew training

As it is spring tides, lots of people out in the rock pools along Coryton Cove

people swimming

beach busy with sunbathers

a Post card day!!

Edited by Granitechops
  • Like 9

I think that, or similar went through Dunball a little while ago - 8'oclockish? heading to Bristle.

edit - referring to post 3601 - Granite chops got in first with more pics - not referring to the roller ;-)

Edited by raymw
  • Like 1

Yachts out in the bay, from Coryton Cove

post-22449-0-02970800-1400354731_thumb.jpg

Rock pools being uncoverted as the tide went out

post-22449-0-51228400-1400354824_thumb.jpg

the old wood groyne continues to disintegrate

post-22449-0-64906000-1400354894_thumb.jpg

Dawlish Brook empties out under the viaduct

post-22449-0-12834800-1400355007_thumb.jpg

work goes on at the station bridge roof & repairs to various windows

of waiting rooms offices etc facing the sea, new windows,

replacement post-22449-0-94554100-1400355067_thumb.jpgwire mesh to protect from flying pebbles

Last summer therte was a bed of river sediment & small gravel/pebbles

that had washed down the river beyond that pool

now all gone & the base beach is visible with debris

post-22449-0-27679800-1400355263_thumb.jpgof mainly masonry from previous decades of storms

several old pipes uncovered by low tides

post-22449-0-99617900-1400355507_thumb.jpg

and bedrock exposed

although sand is drifting north at the moment,

along the top edge of the beach

its now about 18 inches from the top end of the stone breakwater by the old Lifeboat house

post-22449-0-97000900-1400355581_thumb.jpge

post-22449-0-59666300-1400356034.jpg

and is overflowing the small breakwater at Coryton Cove

post-22449-0-43534300-1400356114.jpg

post-22449-0-91022300-1400356262.jpg

• Like 8

That's one of the mini-buffets, they've been in traffic for a while now. Although all the seating is standard class the yellow stripe is there to discourage standard passengers boarding at the buffet end and walking past the counter to the seats. First class passengers thinking it was for them would presumably turn the opposite way to the TF they are usually coupled to at the counter end.

Oh yeah! Musn't have the riff raff walk past our buffet! Don't mind taking money off the plebs though!

Is that for real?

• RMweb Premium

What fantastic 'wish you were here' pics 'Chops'. I'm already jealous of your sea-side location (even when it was horrendous in February) and now, well.........

I just have to be satisfied with A4s climbing Gamston Bank on a beautiful simmer's afternoon.....oh well.

So many thanks for the update; absolutely great as a little look into how things are still all upset for some local folk. 

Also many thanks chaps for the train updates.

Can I just pose a question here for all (and Andy & Mods) ?

Is it OK to use this site as a Web Cam discussion platform as well, or would you prefer to have a separate sub thread to discuss flat footed 66s and pleb avoidance Mini Buffet strategies? I am guilty of Dawlish watching and just 'looking out of' my imaginary sea-side cottage window so that's why I ask as it is not real talk of the 'wash-out'. In my defence I find this on line chatting to be very theraputic and highly interesting; especially the  train information. :mail:

Sincerely, Phil in land-locked North Notts.

• RMweb Premium

What fantastic 'wish you were here' pics 'Chops'. I'm already jealous of your sea-side location (even when it was horrendous in February) and now, well.........

I just have to be satisfied with A4s climbing Gamston Bank on a beautiful simmer's afternoon.....oh well.

So many thanks for the update; absolutely great as a little look into how things are still all upset for some local folk. 

Also many thanks chaps for the train updates.

Can I just pose a question here for all (and Andy & Mods) ?

Is it OK to use this site as a Web Cam discussion platform as well, or would you prefer to have a separate sub thread to discuss flat footed 66s and pleb avoidance Mini Buffet strategies? I am guilty of Dawlish watching and just 'looking out of' my imaginary sea-side cottage window so that's why I ask as it is not real talk of the 'wash-out'. In my defence I find this on line chatting to be very theraputic and highly interesting; especially the  train information. :mail:

Sincerely, Phil in land-locked North Notts.

Can I echo those thoughts.  I also live some distance from a live railway, though when the air is still I can hear trains sounding their horns as they approach Morley station.  The webcam is great for seeing all aspects of the modern railway with freight, passenger and engineering trains.  Maybe this thread should be left to run as a memory of the fabulous work that the orange army did that has now enabled us to wtach a modern working railway.  Thanks for all the updates.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 2

I have to admit to clicking on the web cam at regular intervals during the day and evening it is also my window on to the sea as I live as far from the it as you can get.Hope that all the businesses affected in the storm are making up for lost time must be lovely to get up and stroll by the sea ,surprised how much more work still to be done but at least the main works are done keep sending the smashing pics lads.

• Like 1

Can I echo those thoughts.  I also live some distance from a live railway, though when the air is still I can hear trains sounding their horns as they approach Morley station.  The webcam is great for seeing all aspects of the modern railway with freight, passenger and engineering trains.  Maybe this thread should be left to run as a memory of the fabulous work that the orange army did that has now enabled us to wtach a modern working railway.  Thanks for all the updates.

Jamie

Don't forget about the other available webcams (some changes may have occurred to these since I last updated them): http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/79752-uk-railway-webcams-realtimetrains-pages/

was talking to a local elderly lady who visited Israel a few weeks back

she said as soon as anyone found out she was from Dawlish

she was inundated with questions about the railway,

there were people from many different nationalities present

• Like 2