Washout at Dawlish

Does anyone know what the plaques erected on the rail side of the parapet are for? There is also one on the seaward side with 4 bolts connecting the other side. They are situated at the Dawlish station end of the wall where the machinery is laid.

I've attached a pic from earlier so you can see the plaques, well some of them at least.

post-25257-0-34285800-1421955612_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Does anyone know what the plaques erected on the rail side of the parapet are for? There is also one on the seaward side with 4 bolts connecting the other side. They are situated at the Dawlish station end of the wall where the machinery is laid.

They may be plates with PW-related information on them, difficult to see from the photo.

I've attached a pic from earlier so you can see the plaques, well some of them at least.

The train in the photo, by the way, is 6C51, which conveys a Network Rail 'Railvac' for PW work in Paignton station this coming weekend (blockade from Sat night to Monday morning, buses replacing trains on Sunday).

Edited by Captain Kernow

• RMweb Gold

Thank you CK for confirming my arguments. Did you see the boom arm lowered today?

I noticed 2 oranges on the beach at the time the remaining Ls were off-loaded. That wasn't you by chance was it? 

Not sure re the boom arm, can't remember to be honest, it may be apparent in the photos?

It might have been, I walked out from the station end with a colleague, but then again, there were a number of others walking around in pairs, so not sure...!

• RMweb Gold

Wow that house looks pretty derelict

yet once it must have been something special?

I'm not sure if it was ever completed, but it's apparently been in that condition for some time and is understood to be something of a 'sore point' amongst local people. Apparently the owner is waiting to redevelop the site, possibly holding on for property values to rise according to one source. At least they seemed prepared to allow the pipeline to go down, which is very useful.

• RMweb Gold

A few more images from my site visit yesterday:

post-57-0-92885800-1421959821.jpg

The eastern end of the low-level walkway, with new concrete 'top' to it, ready for the pre-cast 'L' sections to be fixed on. The wall behind has also been given a coating of shotcrete:

post-57-0-84320300-1421959835.jpg

The remaining 5 containers:

post-57-0-13108800-1421959947.jpg

post-57-0-13856100-1421959967.jpg

post-57-0-16514200-1421960255.jpg

post-57-0-14656000-1421960281.jpg

post-57-0-46373200-1421960305.jpg

One of the NR buoys out to sea, marking the exclusion zone for non-construction craft:

post-57-0-53004900-1421960005.jpg

Distant plant working on the tidal 'pinch point':

post-57-0-02748700-1421960044.jpg

Surface of lower level walkway, just about ready for the steel anchor bolts, and then the 'L' sections:

post-57-0-20950800-1421960081.jpg

post-57-0-79027200-1421960136.jpg

post-57-0-91929000-1421960155.jpg

How to do concrete - the untidy way!...

post-57-0-42836400-1421960180.jpg

Another view of the JUBs:

post-57-0-83475200-1421960327.jpg

More photos to follow.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

It was running as 638G on RTT timetable.

OK, don't really understand those references, on the NR WTT database (ie. TRUST) the headcode is number, letter, number, number - this being how signallers identify trains in signal boxes.

• RMweb Gold
uax6, on 17 Jan 2015 - 19:09, said:

http://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/documents/MoT_StreathamHill1969.pdf

Can't find the farlington one.

Andy G

Thanks for finding that. I was nights in the control at Croydon that night, and correctly remembered the poor guard's name - the things we hang onto......

• Like 1

It was running as 638G on RTT timetable.

That just means it is a class 6 train, the 38G is not relevant, it is actually (as stated by CK 6C51) RTT does not show the correct headcodes for freight trains.

• Like 1

Yes I know about head codes etc but as there are more than one way of finding these things I tend to look at what is available, and that always headed towards RTT as a quick way. Mind you, RTT does tend to go wrong and never know what is coming or going. I have got access to WTT but for reference sake I use RTT because that is what everyone else on DB Cam uses as well, so I don't want to confuse them with a different code.

To save trawling back could someone give me a grand total of how may L's are going to be used in total please? I had a figure of 170 somewhere.

Late edit: Found the number...180.

Edited by Saintly1941

After Dawlish, we went to Teignmouth Docks to inspect the stored pre-cast 'L' units there.

attachicon.gifIMG_5214.JPG

Aha,  tongue & groove units

simple but effective location/strength design

will need some precise crane operation there

but when slid in sideways should then lower last few inches /cms into place very cleanly

EDIT;-

if you also look at img 5217 in that same post, of two units on a pontoon in Teignmouth

unless they have used packing pads on the corner of the holes

the sharp edge of concrete will eventually fray the strop

you have to keep your wits about you on a job like this!!

Edited by Granitechops
  • Like 3

Thank you CK for confirming my arguments. Did you see the boom arm lowered today?

Roger, when you saw the boom arm ( I assume you mean the main crane jib)

was any one doing any thing around it?

as an ex crane driver, I can think of at least 2 reasons for that

1,  it was time for maintenance/lubrication,  especially needed in this marine hostile corrosive environement

2,  safety/insurance  inspection ( compulsory ),   well it used to be

or belatedly,

even 3,

change to the jib head equipement/fittings/accessories,  maybe even a bulb had blown in a light

• RMweb Gold

Yes I know about head codes etc but as there are more than one way of finding these things I tend to look at what is available, and that always headed towards RTT as a quick way. Mind you, RTT does tend to go wrong and never know what is coming or going. I have got access to WTT but for reference sake I use RTT because that is what everyone else on DB Cam uses as well, so I don't want to confuse them with a different code.

To save trawling back could someone give me a grand total of how may L's are going to be used in total please? I had a figure of 170 somewhere.

Late edit: Found the number...180.

Word from the project team is actually 140+ - where was the 180 figure? (hope it wasn't me...!  :O )

For the attention of Don and CK.

I have received a request from Dawlish Beach Webcam asking if you would be happy to share your images on the DB FB page. Any questions you have etc then you could always PM our Moderator who sent the request, via DB FB message. Clearly we never use any without permission so would appreciate your assistance if willing?

Thanks so much.

Roger

• Like 1