RMweb

Wickham Trolley

Combe Martin

I've ordered 32-993 in BR Engineers Yellow with wasp stripes from my local modelshop when the Wickham Trolley was first announced, things have changed though in the last few hours with pictures being posted of 32-991 in BR Maroon, so I've just ordered that one as well :-)

• RMweb Premium

The trailer body and ballast is a one-piece moulding so the ballast will need cutting out (pass me the Dremel nurse).

Phil suggested we get Modelu to scan and print the BRM team to ride around in it. I said no as people would moan that the fat git (me) would cost more to print. It does need a crew and some more sundry items - loads of inspiration on this page - http://www.derekhayward.co.uk/BluebellRailway-1/Locomotives/Locomotives-in-service/Wickham-Trolleys/

I can't help noticing that they are hauling a larger wagon with something covered by a yellow tarpaulin. An idea perhaps for replacing the ballast load in the 'power wagon' or even replacing the entire wagon.

I can't help noticing that they are hauling a larger wagon with something covered by a yellow tarpaulin. An idea perhaps for replacing the ballast load in the 'power wagon' or even replacing the entire wagon.

That's a good point. Just covering the ballast with a tarpaulin would improve the look, and would be relatively simple to achieve.

I ment

Looking at those photos and the video, though, the one thing it really does need is crew. Unless you want to run a ghost train!

I mentioned this to Bachmann some time ago. Apparently there will be a Scenecraft set of gangers that will include people suitable to crew the trolley in the future.

Pre-fitted figures would of course have increased the cost (Cue moans) and adding your own people isn't too hard is it?

How were they delivered? (Flat pack, ho ho ho.) As a load on something like a Lowmac, that solves the crew problem.

It would defeat the object of a motorised model though. If you fancy this idea (and I think it would look great in model form), N Brass sell a suitable static kit for £25.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/chinnor_railway/3871222359/ has a photo of one pushing a trailer, although that's a recent photo on a preserved line so may not necessarily reflect historical practice.

I would presume that they did run both directions with the trailer as push/pull, though, since runaround facilities weren't necessarily available in the locations they worked.

Another possible solution to the "Missing crew" problem would be to add some tarpaulin weather screens on the sides. These seem to be common in photos, so it would be an obvious detailing enhancement. And it would hide the empty interior, albeit at the expense of also hiding the interior detail.

• Like 2

I mentioned this to Bachmann some time ago. Apparently there will be a Scenecraft set of gangers that will include people suitable to crew the trolley in the future.

Pre-fitted figures would of course have increased the cost (Cue moans) and adding your own people isn't too hard is it?

That makes sense. It's an obvious addition to the Scenecraft range. And I agree that pre-fitting them isn't necessary. Those of us who care can add our own without too much difficulty.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/chinnor_railway/3871222359/ has a photo of one pushing a trailer, although that's a recent photo on a preserved line so may not necessarily reflect historical practice.

I would presume that they did run both directions with the trailer as push/pull, though, since runaround facilities weren't necessarily available in the locations they worked.

Another possible solution to the "Missing crew" problem would be to add some tarpaulin weather screens on the sides. These seem to be common in photos, so it would be an obvious detailing enhancement. And it would hide the empty interior, albeit at the expense of also hiding the interior detail.

That would also be a way of hiding a decoder for DCC.

• RMweb Premium

All I'll say is that if Bachmann can recieve goods in the UK in June, arrange re-shipment back to China, modify the goods and then have them in UK shops in October then it's a crying shame they can't be that speedy with their other projects.

The model has got side sheets. But they are rolled up. Just cut the strings and let them drop down. LOL

Being unpowered it does make the building od an alternative body for a different type an interesting and fairly straight forward task.

Just need some wheels with the pear drop shaped slots. Any suggestions re availability of such items?

Bernard

• Like 1

The model has got side sheets. But they are rolled up. Just cut the strings and let them drop down. LOL

Being unpowered it does make the building od an alternative body for a different type an interesting and fairly straight forward task.

Just need some wheels with the pear drop shaped slots. Any suggestions re availability of such items?

Bernard

It might be unpowered, but as you can see in Andy's photo, you'll still need the circuit board in there unless you re-wire the trailer. There are also pickups on the trolley wheels.

Wheels are unavailable as far as I know. Even if they are, the Bachmann ones are wider than normal to aid smooth running over pointwork wheras any for static models will probably be scale.

• Like 1

I sent an email to Hatton's regarding them fitting the DCC and it is their intention to solder and fit this. They foresee no issues.

They say they are going to fit one of their decoders.

Also as far as crew is concerned for the maroon version the Preiser seated industrial workers look quite good. Preiser part number 10351 - there are a number of places in the UK that they can be sourced from.

Hope this info helps.

All I'll say is that if Bachmann can recieve goods in the UK in June, arrange re-shipment back to China, modify the goods and then have them in UK shops in October then it's a crying shame they can't be that speedy with their other projects.

I have checked with Bachmann – the answer is they were never shipped to the UK so that no return journey was necessary.

There was a delay in the manufacturing process which delayed assembly and therefore shipping.

These things happen. No conspiracy theory was intended and delays can happen after the necessary advertising artwork had been submitted. Deadlines for advertising are completed well before the editorial pages are and in this case it was too late to change the advertising.

It would defeat the object of a motorised model though....

Different strokes for different folks: I model through time, on a cycle. So as BR gradually re-equips with new locos and stock It arrives on a goods (if that is how they were moved to their working location) and some time later it will be seen operating (while other items are steadily withdrawn and thus 'disappear').

• Like 1

In August last year (2015), Ultrascale were asking for expressions of interest in conversion packs for the Wickham Trolley.

In reply to myexpression of interest, I received the following reply:

"At this time I am waiting to see what Bachmann have done and if a conversion is economical to produce.
Once Bachmann have released the model it will be looked at in more depth."

So you never know . . .

Stan

Bernard

• RMweb Premium

I have checked with Bachmann – the answer is they were never shipped to the UK so that no return journey was necessary.

There was a delay in the manufacturing process which delayed assembly and therefore shipping.

These things happen. No conspiracy theory was intended and delays can happen after the necessary advertising artwork had been submitted. Deadlines for advertising are completed well before the editorial pages are and in this case it was too late to change the advertising.

Apologies, I should probably have used some smilies in my post as it was meant to be tongue in cheek. If they had achieved such a feat then it’d be a splendid achievement. In general there seems to be a much greater willingness to believe conspiracy theories than to accept what I believe is the truth – that model companies are managed by decent people trying their best and that things go wrong because people are not perfect. I really don’t think that any of the companies are indulging in shady or distasteful practices, I might disagree with them and criticise certain decisions or statements but I certainly don’t think these things are part of a sinister conspiracy.