Wickham Trolley

Combe Martin

Not sure why there is so much dislike, I am looking forward to getting one. :)

Me too. I've had one on pre-order for ages, pretty much since they were announced. I'm mildly disappointed that the delays in production have prevented it being the next new thing to arrive after the APT-E (the DJM Hunslet nipped in first), as otherwise it would have been a classic "sublime to the ridiculous" moment. But, even so, it's a quirky little model that - unlike either the APT-E or the RMweb Hunslet - will actually be appropriate for my current project.    

• Like 1

Likewise, currently the only new item I'm actually contemplating buying. They do seem to have been in a container on their way an awfully long time, not stuck on a Hanjin ship somewhere I hope. . . ;-)

This may be their second voyage from China to the UK. My local model shop advised me that he was told the consignment did arrive in June, however it was found that the models lacked traction and weight and were sent back for changes. I'm waiting for the BR maroon version.

• RMweb Premium

This may be their second voyage from China to the UK. My local model shop advised me that he was told the consignment did arrive in June, however it was found that the models lacked traction and weight and were sent back for changes. I'm waiting for the BR maroon version.

My own modelling venture into this subject means that I am far from surprised that weight and traction were a problem.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 1

Have you ever wondered if companies just fabricate these type of stories to see how long it is before they start getting circulated on interwebby forums? Somewhere in an office someone will probably be leaning back in their chair smirking with satisfaction.   :wink_mini:

Then again, maybe not.

• Like 2

Have you ever wondered if companies just fabricate these type of stories to see how long it is before they start getting circulated on interwebby forums? Somewhere in an office someone will probably be leaning back in their chair smirking with satisfaction. :wink_mini:

Then again, maybe not.

Ooo! You cynic :D

Almost at my level.

Edited by leopardml2341
  • Like 1

Have you ever wondered if companies just fabricate these type of stories to see how long it is before they start getting circulated on interwebby forums? Somewhere in an office someone will probably be leaning back in their chair smirking with satisfaction.   :wink_mini:

Then again, maybe not.

I believed the info to have credibility as 1) the items were advertised in the model press back in May/June, which would have been to target their release in June and 2) I recall Andy Y stating that the models were produced and on the factory floor about that time, presumably on checking with Bachmann. I can't see that the company would want to circulate such a story, particularly where there has been concern about the traction/weight of such a small model. They may not have been sent to the UK and may have been retained at the factory in China, but I give credibility to the info that there has been a remedial 'fix' necessary.

• RMweb Gold

I really couldn't give a sh*t. as long as when it comes it works.....it ain't a Stanier Pacific which you would expect to pull 600 tons, please let's give some slack here!!

Mike

The following is to be read with tongue firmly in cheek in lighten up mode.

I believed the info to have credibility as 1) the items were advertised in the model press back in May/June, which would have been to target their release in June and 2) I recall Andy Y stating that the models were produced and on the factory floor about that time, presumably on checking with Bachmann

1) The story (so far) only has credibility because "someone" (maybe a  Bachmann Rep?) told your model shop vendor and he told you. Unless Bachmann make and official statement confirming that to be so, or communicate an official line through the bona fide model railway press we have nothing more than speculation. I once saw an LMS Stove Brake in a Wrenn catalogue described as our next release. I'm still waiting? :smile_mini2:

I can't see that the company would want to circulate such a story

2) I never said Bachmann had originated the story. I made no mention of Bachmann whatsoever. I was speaking generally.

They may not have been sent to the UK and may have been retained at the factory in China

3) Erm, you did say in your original post, "This may be their second voyage from China to the UK. My local model shop advised me that he was told the consignment did arrive in June". Speculation?

particularly where there has been concern about the traction/weight of such a small model. They may not have been sent to the UK and may have been retained at the factory in China, but I give credibility to the info that there has been a remedial 'fix' necessary.

4) As I have speculated in this thread before; the drive mechanism may be an adaptation of the 53:1 gearbox/single axle drive unit used in Bachmann Honk Kong/Birkenhead tram. That manages very well around very tight curves pushing or pulling an additional un-motored tram.

Also with engineering prototypes being in the UK at least as far back as February, would it have taken a further five months and following a full production run to realise the model had traction problems? Somehow I think when a container arrives in the UK  full of Bachmann production models the boxes are never opened until in the buyers hands via the retailer with only a few going direct to Bachmann for random checking, display etc.

Me a cynic? Nah. :smile_mini:

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 1

I really couldn't give a sh*t. as long as when it comes it works.....it ain't a Stanier Pacific which you would expect to pull 600 tons, please let's give some slack here!!

Mike

Can't fault the logic there. :)

Speculation?

Maybe this........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGyIPrFWc1E

Nah; that's just a metaphor for Sterling.

• Like 1

The following is to be read with tongue firmly in cheek in lighten up mode.

1) The story (so far) only has credibility because "someone" (maybe a  Bachmann Rep?) told your model shop vendor and he told you. Unless Bachmann make and official statement confirming that to be so, or communicate an official line through the bona fide model railway press we have nothing more than speculation. I once saw an LMS Stove Brake in a Wrenn catalogue described as our next release. I'm still waiting? :smile_mini2:

2) I never said Bachmann had originated the story. I made no mention of Bachmann whatsoever. I was speaking generally.

3) Erm, you did say in your original post, "This may be their second voyage from China to the UK. My local model shop advised me that he was told the consignment did arrive in June". Speculation?

4) As I have speculated in this thread before; the drive mechanism may be an adaptation of the 53:1 gearbox/single axle drive unit used in Bachmann Honk Kong/Birkenhead tram. That manages very well around very tight curves pushing or pulling an additional un-motored tram.

Also with engineering prototypes being in the UK at least as far back as February, would it have taken a further five months and following a full production run to realise the model had traction problems? Somehow I think when a container arrives in the UK  full of Bachmann production models the boxes are never opened until in the buyers hands via the retailer with only a few going direct to Bachmann for random checking, display etc.

Me a cynic? Nah. :smile_mini:

With my tongue firmly in my cheek also,

1) I have no reason to disbelieve my retailer who has contact with the supplier that I and you don't have, whether the info came from the rep I can't say, as I didn't ask, no need to as I didn't think I'd get the third degree and was only passing it on to give a reason to another member who quipped why they've 'been so long in a container'. Is there another reason for the 6 month delay from the original manufacture and proposed release, other than a manufacturing issue. Did they pine too much for the Chinese air and refuse to board the container.

2) Agreed, however unlikely that the retailer I've known for 32 years would pass on rumour from another source.

3)Was my elaboration as it's possible to my mind that the model was held back in China, but not worried either way.

4) As far as Bachmann being unlikely to identify faults in models arrived in UK before delivery to retailers, not so. The last Porthole coach, the Brake Third I believe, was identified at Barwell with livery errors prior to release to UK retailers and was returned to China and had to be remanufactured.

For me I have no concern about when it arrives, as long as it works and holds the track. There, tongue now removed from cheek and I shan't be commenting further

• Like 1

Guest Midland Mole

Saw the one running on the BRM layout at Peterborough yesterday, it was soooooo cute! :)

I wonder if one could be made to run on digital? :P

- Alex

Edited by Midland Mole
  • Like 1

Saw the one running on the BRM layout at Peterborough yesterday, it was soooooo cute! :)

I wonder if one could be made to run on digital? :P

We gave the yellow version a good thrashing with 6 hours on the shuttle service over the weekend. It was running slower and smoother after about half an hour, although very good straight from the box. No problems over the Tillig point but I did clean the tiny wheels twice.

trolley.jpg

It's certainly and eye-catcher and attracted loads of interest on the layout. I reckon while not the cheapest or most useful model in the world, it's going to sell well. There will be plenty of layouts with Wickham's being chased by APT-E's!

If you need to take it apart, there are tiny screws holding the bodies on hidden under the floor, slightly obscured by the brake gear. You'll need a tiny cross head screwdriver and plenty of light but the rest is easy. Do NOT attempt to lever the body off with a screwdriver like a certain popular forum moderator tried until I pointed these out. Fortunatly, he wasn't succesfull.

After photography and testing, thoughts have turned to digital, EM and fitting a Jetex engine.

• Like 4

Yes, they are very small and very well hidden screws for the trailer top. :)

Not that many people would ever venture inside as it's a cracking runner for the size, the over-width wheel treads helps with giving smoother running over pointwork than I expected. The little coreless motor drives the forward axle of the trailer with traction tyres to maintain steady motion. The model is engineered to cater for the mass market and factory assembly and as such has compromises for it's diminutive size (the combined trolley and trailer length is only 75mm).

Wickham_Trolley_inside_s.jpg

There are various solutions to accommodating a small decoder if you are prepared to build an alternative load for the trailer (many ideas discussed) or in the roof or back of the trolley if you are prepared to have another set of wires between the two vehicles.

• Like 3

Looks like it's an adaptation of Bachmann tram mechanism and nice to see that Bachmann also responded to earlier criticisms of the coupling arrangement. If it turns out that the motor is coreless I wonder how it will run for those using feedback controllers?

P

• RMweb Premium

Yes, they are very small and very well hidden screws for the trailer top. :)

Not that many people would ever venture inside as it's a cracking runner for the size, the over-width wheel treads helps with giving smoother running over pointwork than I expected. The little coreless motor drives the forward axle of the trailer with traction tyres to maintain steady motion. The model is engineered to cater for the mass market and factory assembly and as such has compromises for it's diminutive size (the combined trolley and trailer length is only 75mm).

attachicon.gifWickham_Trolley_inside_s.jpg

There are various solutions to accommodating a small decoder if you are prepared to build an alternative load for the trailer (many ideas discussed) or in the roof or back of the trolley if you are prepared to have another set of wires between the two vehicles.

Well, I take it all back - it doesn't look at all bad !!

I've a funny feeling that I shall be reinstating my pre-order.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 2

How easy would it be to replace the load in the trailer? Is it moulded in one piece, or is the load easily separable from the body?

I'm not, at least at the moment, planning on fitting a decoder (my layout is, and will remain for the foreseeable future, DC), but the plastic ballast is the least realistic element of the model and it would be nice to replace it with something a bit more realistic. I appreciate that any new load has to cover the motor, so I can't have an empty trailer, but I would like to stick something more appropriate in there.

How easy would it be to replace the load in the trailer? Is it moulded in one piece, or is the load easily separable from the body?

I'm not, at least at the moment, planning on fitting a decoder (my layout is, and will remain for the foreseeable future, DC), but the plastic ballast is the least realistic element of the model and it would be nice to replace it with something a bit more realistic. I appreciate that any new load has to cover the motor, so I can't have an empty trailer, but I would like to stick something more appropriate in there.

The trailer body and ballast is a one-piece moulding so the ballast will need cutting out (pass me the Dremel nurse).

Looking at those photos and the video, though, the one thing it really does need is crew. Unless you want to run a ghost train! 

Phil suggested we get Modelu to scan and print the BRM team to ride around in it. I said no as people would moan that the fat git (me) would cost more to print. It does need a crew and some more sundry items - loads of inspiration on this page - http://www.derekhayward.co.uk/BluebellRailway-1/Locomotives/Locomotives-in-service/Wickham-Trolleys/

• Like 4