Bachmann Collectors' Club Spring 2014 limited edition models.

Paul.Uni

• RMweb Premium

Disappointed its not  a 2-4-2 in Crimson!  I'm not actually a fan of the J11. I think the cab is out of proportion to the rest of the loco (the real thing that is, not a reflection of the model), not exactly a cute wee 0-6-0, so I think I'll decline this one. Not a bad price for a special edition though

Disappointed again, yet another steam era club model. I think the modern image modellers have been hard done by this year with no club model to suit.
Just not my cup of tea...
I suppose I will just have to vote with my feet.

I'll get my own back, buy one and flee bay it !!! :O

Ordered the J9 last night as Bachmann seem to have captured the early chimney & dome pretty well.  A bit of careful 'oily rag' weathering when it arrives should hopefully end up as a nice looking loco.

I can't abide the 'faux livery' models, like the 'LSWR T9' that Hornby did.  I ended up buying a BR one and I'm gradually returning it to original LSWR form, so at least they keep me modelling!

I can't abide the 'faux livery' models, like the 'LSWR T9' that Hornby did.

I seem to recall it was not a model of a LSWR T9, more how 120 looked when it was repainted in the 1960's so it is an accurate model of the real locos history.

I seem to recall it was not a model of a LSWR T9, more how 120 looked when it was repainted in the 1960's so it is an accurate model of the real locos history.

That's true, but I don't understand why.  I suppose it's for the 'I saw one of these at (fill in your preservation railway of choice) customers', but IMHO they would do much better, as the L&Y tank and SECR Wainwright proved I think, to go the extra mile and give us the locos in original condition and livery.  Something Bachmann appear to be making the effort to do, whereas Hornby I guess have other problems/priorities.

The T9 hauled several rail tours in the early 1960s in the LSWR green livery, so it's an authentic livery for that period. It's not correct for the 1900s, as it wouldn't have had the extended smoke box, but Hornby made no claim to that effect. Is the Bachmann collector's Club J11 likely to be the only one that ever has the Robinson chimney, or did some locos keep them into LNER days?

The T9 hauled several rail tours in the early 1960s in the LSWR green livery, so it's an authentic livery for that period. It's not correct for the 1900s, as it wouldn't have had the extended smoke box, but Hornby made no claim to that effect. Is the Bachmann collector's Club J11 likely to be the only one that ever has the Robinson chimney, or did some locos keep them into LNER days?

Some definitely had them at least in early LNER lettering guise.  Yes, I'm in the process of remodelling a T9 to a shorter smokebox at the moment and, to my eyes it has gained the air of elegance that the T9's were famed for.  I know Hornby didn't claim they were producing an 'authentic' early loco, but I feel they missed a trick in not tooling up to do so.  That would have been 'Design Clever'!

• RMweb Gold
I had a good look at one; it's a lovely livery application, it really is.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg[/quote

Thank you for these.Neither the Collector's Club magazine nor the website do it the justice it undoubtedly deserves.L&Y NRM tank quality,it appears...now that you show the lining to best effect.

I'm wondering if Bachmann Branch-Line now have access to better tampo-printing machines than in the past.

The lining on this model (and other recent Bachmann locomotives) looks far better than what I used to see from Bachmann locomotives.

...resistance is futile......within 15 minutes of receiving the "Bachmann Times" my card account had been charged......

Keith

Ditto. I gather from the person I spoke to that these had been selling extremely fast, so anyone wanting one had better not dither!

• RMweb Premium

Thank you for these.Neither the Collector's Club magazine nor the website do it the justice it undoubtedly deserves.L&Y NRM tank quality,it appears...now that you show the lining to best effect.

Indeed. When I first saw the cover of Bachmann Times, I thought the loco looked decided weird - the boiler lining in particular making it look chubby and top heavy. Definitely looks better in Andy's photos, although still of no interest to me whatsoever. But no I won't buy one to sell on Ebay.

Every time Bachmann say "3 limited editions" I allways fall for it - it's usually just 2 but one of them is in both scales...

Also dissapointed it's yet another steam loco - felt surely this time it was "our" turn!

I still hope there's a limited edition class 40 to turn up at some stage - the new model is bob on imho and although the class only carried two liveries the 3 noses mean there is still plenty of variety - they aren't really suitable for my location/era however I have soft spot for them and "'ll only get one" rule has already been broken!

Cheers,

Bruce

Archived