Hornby's Best Ever Models

robmcg

When it comes to excellent models and value for money,  top choices for me are the Thompson Twins, B1 and L1 .

post-7929-0-05404100-1538174928_thumb.jpg

post-7929-0-90191200-1538174979_thumb.jpg

and some Britannias are still reasonable... 

post-7929-0-87481300-1538175081_thumb.jpg

I have found when looking for cheap models like Bachmann 9Fs and even the above Hornby L1s there aren't all that many pristine early production versions around.  Maybe I don't look hard enough.

pics are all edited.

• Like 4

You have to look very hard for these, my experience suggests they are snapped up fast if in good condition at an attractive price. I am often on the look out for any keenly priced specimens of the above mentioned - and a few more besides - on behalf of friends. But the B12/3 is the cream of the (not just Hornby) crop now. The largely metal loco body construction is a step in a very right direction which - hopefully - other manufacturers will observe and in time imitate.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I was pleased to find a BR (pristine) L1 67772 for sale at £70 at a show recently, second hand but in good condition, but as has been said they are now quite rare, not having been produced (I think) for some time.

• RMweb Gold

Something else LNER that's quite hard to get a hold of are the original run of Gresley Teak Full Brake's, as I found out when I sourced one for a certain ANTB member..

.. here's one I weathered earlier ;)

post-7000-0-01462600-1538243179_thumb.jpg

post-7000-0-76000400-1538243370_thumb.jpg

Edited by toboldlygo
  • Like 2

Something else LNER that's quite hard to get a hold of are the original run of Gresley Teak Full Brake's, as I found out when I sourced one for a certain ANTB member..

.. here's one I weathered earlier ;)

attachicon.gifLNER_FullBrake_lhfan.jpg

attachicon.gifLNER_FullBrake_rhfan.jpg

Good, I think I actually own one of those....   not as good-looking as your weathered version though. Nice job!

I was pleased to find a BR (pristine) L1 67772 for sale at £70 at a show recently, second hand but in good condition, but as has been said they are now quite rare, not having been produced (I think) for some time.

Although R3461 BR/LNER apple green 67717 (2016), R3189 LNER 9003 (2014) and R3190 early BR black (2014) aren't very old I doubt they are top of the list of Hornby production slots, and they would be labour-intensive to produce, methinks.    But then, maybe they did sell well, and since when has Hornby production been in sync with demand? :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Although R3461 BR/LNER apple green 67717 (2016), R3189 LNER 9003 (2014) and R3190 early BR black (2014) aren't very old I doubt they are top of the list of Hornby production slots, and they would be labour-intensive to produce, methinks.    But then, maybe they did sell well, and since when has Hornby production been in sync with demand? :)

I think R3190 passed me by actually Rob, or it may be that I would have liked another L1 but not to the extent of c.£120's worth of L1 (or perhaps just that it had an unsuitable shed code on it).

I think R3190 passed me by actually Rob, or it may be that I would have liked another L1 but not to the extent of c.£120's worth of L1 (or perhaps just that it had an unsuitable shed code on it).

Indeed these L1s tended to be area-specific.  With the occasional gloom about the future of the hobby, and the predicted flood of cheap s/h models from deceased estates ad so on, it hasn't happened yet!

I use Hattons as a guide to value, on the basis that they know better than I about the sales of s/h models.  Try to buy a mint early Britannia, not 7000 in black, nor 70034, nor 70050, but 70022 or 70045, 70030, and others, not cheap.

Mind you people buy 42XX and 52XX 2-8-0Ts so there's no accounting for it.  :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Mind you people buy 42XX and 52XX 2-8-0Ts so there's no accounting for it.  :)

May you be chained between 5 Bulleid's for that remark - at least Hornby listened to the criticism about the 1st batch (R31**) and reworked them - do I need to list the improvements, again?

I guess they have a certain indefinable charm...

post-7929-0-07235100-1538332850_thumb.jpg

post-7929-0-98565900-1538332915_thumb.jpg

but I am told they can be addictive.

The green ones seem quite rare.    btw I am presuming that 2015-6 versions have better bearings, the 2013 versions ought thus to be cheap?

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I guess they have a certain indefinable charm...

attachicon.gif4283_42xx_2-8-0T_GWR_1ab_r1200.jpg

attachicon.gifChurchward_BR_4266_42XX_portrait_3abc_r1200.jpg

but I am told they can be addictive.

The green ones seem quite rare.    btw I am presuming that 2015-6 versions have better bearings, the 2013 versions ought thus to be cheap?

If they are R32** and above - they have an superior chassis (bearings) , separate smoke box dart and a few other tweaks...

I have a 52xx (curved footplate) in my to do pile, plus a 42xx and 72xx to do from a client - so far ;)

Is the curved footplate 52XX a variant where the running board has a bend over the cylinders, or the front section points up or down? Is it like some I have seen suffering from manufacturing/assembly issues?

I do enjoy the hunt for a rare model, I look at my green 72XX with enjoyment, even if it is the early 7202.  None of my 42XX 72XXs  have had any particular issues, most now sold.

edited after a little research...

Edited by robmcg

As per many posts in other threads and Silver Sidelines' blog there are many manufacturing and assembly issues with these engines , 42XX and 52XX at least,with bent running plates, and so far as I can tell these errors, quite major, can occur with any or all production runs.

Someone might say otherwise, but I am inclined not to buy one unless I can see it or a photo first.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/132110-42xx-shape-of-the-footplate/?hl=42xx

and a very informative essay on straightening poorly made models from Hornby,

https://longsheds.blogspot.com/2016/01/no129-hornbys-class-52xx-tanks.html

many thanks to the above contributors!  

cheers

edit;  I just bought this, early no-brass-bearing version, UKP62

post-7929-0-79106800-1538361571_thumb.jpg

At least I won't have to worry about broken smokebox darts, nor worn bearings, given my layout size. :)  Express headcodes too. We strive for perfection around here. Design Clever lives forever!

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 1

In perusing books of Great Western steam I have come to the conclusion that you can get away with anything. Pristine to scrapyard-ready, or even Barry Island condition but still running around Oxford in 1964.

I think some of the mixed traffic 4-6-0s really ran well beyond any reasonable expectation in their latter years, conversely Kings and Castles were perhaps withdrawn when still quite clean and not rust-stained?

Not sure about 42XX and 52XX classes, but I daresay they spent a lot of time in storage, thus rust would be likely?

here is a 72XX I owned about 5 years ago, and another non-western type of great BR heritage.

post-7929-0-13160800-1538424845_thumb.jpg

post-7929-0-23068000-1538429015_thumb.jpg

cheers

someone will now tell me that BR had some green paint on some engines.  :)

Edited by robmcg