Hornby's Best Ever Models

robmcg

A no brainer, as a lot of parts for the Manor already exist in Hornby's tooling library...

Would it not depend somewhat on which factory where has said tools, and if they are compatible with the various new tools required?

I don't know much about such production but doubt it is always simple.

Meanwhile I have bought a pristine 2016 version 42XX,   Will someone rid me of this Swindonitis?  :)

• RMweb Gold

Would it not depend somewhat on which factory where has said tools, and if they are compatible with the various new tools required?

Meanwhile I have bought a pristine 2016 version 42XX,   Will someone rid me of this Swindonitis?  :)

I think Hornby keep their tooling in one place in China (from what I've read), when it's not in use.

The Manor could be built on relatively cheap budget, as all that would be need to tool up is the loco & chassis - as the tenders, wheels and various other bits are already tooled up.

A 42xx? I'll raise you a Star and some white metal Castle outside steam pipes ;)

• Like 1

I think Hornby keep their tooling in one place in China (from what I've read), when it's not in use.

The Manor could be built on relatively cheap budget, as all that would be need to tool up is the loco & chassis - as the tenders, wheels and various other bits are already tooled up.

A 42xx? I'll raise you a Star and some white metal Castle outside steam pipes ;)

It would certainly show everyone what Hornby can do, in no uncertain terms!

I'm sure it will be in the shops by Christmas.    Didn't they say something like that in 1914?  'It'll be all over by ...'   ....  

I'm still expecting a new run of Sir William Staniers this month.  After all, I did go out and buy (another) one.

post-7929-0-71246800-1538432077_thumb.jpg

What a model!

Pic edited.

p.s. I notice that not only are new 46256 Duchesses due this month but for December there are red and blue Princess Coronations and a black semi Duchess, and quite a few other significant models, including J36s.  Nelsons in January too?

And the 15 Guinea Special with 70013 is available now

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 1

Swindonitis just has to be sweated out of the system.

It does take time, usually a lifetime...

I'm not complaining!  :senile:

post-4032-0-89289700-1538466141_thumb.jpg

Here's a bit of LNER-itis. Personally think Hornby did very well with the B1.  Details like the North British works plate are very finely printed.  This one is a New England loco but one advantage of B1s is that they appeared in many different places (including a railtour over the SDJR for instance) so a very useful engine for a variety of layout locations!

• Like 5

Not sure about 42XX and 52XX classes, but I daresay they spent a lot of time in storage, thus rust would be likely?

I have read that GW locos rusted more quickly than those of the other railways because they had been kept cleaner, consequently lacking a protective layer of oil-soaked gunge.

• RMweb Gold

Would it not fit on a grange chassis ?

Several here have put Bachmann / mainline ones onto a Grange chassis.

Still on anti-GWR pills,  but they aren't working.

Why are there no green 42/52XX 2-8-0Ts on the s/h market?  Except one over-priced Australian offering at £170+

What's gone wrong with the world?

Edit; And there are very few black L1s on the market. Millions of green 67717s....

Edited by robmcg

• RMweb Gold

Still on anti-GWR pills,  but they aren't working.

Why are there no green 42/52XX 2-8-0Ts on the s/h market?  Except one over-priced Australian offering at £170+

What's gone wrong with the world?

Edit; And there are very few black L1s on the market. Millions of green 67717s....

Judging by the number of green 4200/5205/72xx class, a client of mine has - I'm not surprised...

Nothing's wrong with world - Toboldlygo's Locomotive (and Rolling Stock) Works, is very much in business ;)

post-7000-0-62933300-1538517615_thumb.jpg

post-7000-0-37886600-1538517644_thumb.jpg

Edited by toboldlygo
  • Like 6

Lovely Hawksworth.

I have discovered a few 42/52XXs in GWR green, early versions, seem straight, so there are a very few about.  My eyes glaze over when I see prices asked on Ebay for some Hornby models... 

found this for UKP62.50  very happy

post-7929-0-39338700-1538630346_thumb.jpg

no brass bearings, no rear wheel guards, moulded smokebox darts, runs well, straight.  Design Clever lives on.

pic edited from Hattons who sold the model, slow runner, details detached.

Swindon rules.

where is Crewe anyway?

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

found this for UKP62.50  very happy

attachicon.gif5274_52XX_portrait1_2abcde_r1200.jpg

no brass bearings, no rear wheel guards, moulded smokebox darts, runs well, straight.  Design Clever lives on.

pic edited from Hattons who sold the model, slow runner, details detached.

Swindon rules.

where is Crewe anyway?

Slow runner - check the DCC blanking plate is plugged in properly or the clamping brackets for the motor are screw down properly or there's a dcc chip fitted.

• RMweb Gold

That's a bit classy having screw link couplings fitted. :angel:

I didn't fit them on them on 316, that was my clients work (excellent job he did too)

Though I did on this one..

post-7000-0-48271100-1538674608_thumb.jpg

post-7000-0-52974300-1538674689_thumb.jpg

Fiddly, yet rewarding job to fit them - as it required the carriage to be dismantled (something I haven't done in a while)

And something out of a Blue Box...

post-7000-0-43309100-1538674888_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

more GWR madness...

Whatever happened to the good old days? When the LNWR would build things like the Crumlin Viaduct just to keep things honest!

not that 42XX engines worked over it?

post-7929-0-59972900-1538699187_thumb.jpg

pic edited, derived from Hattons ad, of loco I bought.

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

more GWR madness...

Whatever happened to the good old days? When the LNWR would build things like the Crumlin Viaduct just to keep things honest!

not that 42XX engines worked over it?

attachicon.gif4266_42XX_portrait1_3ab_r1200a.jpg

pic edited, derived from Hattons ad, of loco I bought.

You might have been surprised at what actually did work over the Crumlin viaduct,though double headers were not permitted.The leading loco was obliged to uncouple and proceed solo over the viaduct.During the 1939-45 war the line was vital to the war effort and carried a great amount of essential material.

The GW heavy tanks and others...even ROD's....worked the line,apart from the occasional Grange and Manor.

I have fond memories of it from childhood and youth.Looking down from the carriage window was not for the squeamish.

You might have been surprised at what actually did work over the Crumlin viaduct,though double headers were not permitted.The leading loco was obliged to uncouple and proceed solo over the viaduct.During the 1939-45 war the line was vital to the war effort and carried a great amount of essential material.

The GW heavy tanks and others...even ROD's....worked the line,apart from the occasional Grange and Manor.

I have fond memories of it from childhood and youth.Looking down from the carriage window was not for the squeamish.

Thanks, I also have memories of travel over steel truss viaducts 150-250'-high here in NZ as part of my childhood adventures, mostly on the North Island Main Trunk, it certainly was a scary feeling.

The Crumlin viaduct and the shifting of coal and freight in and out of Wales certainly was part of an age now gone. I think that is why I so love 00 trains.  Apart from their natural appeal.  

I have just bought 4 new books on the 42/52/72xx tanks and others, and the Welsh Valleys, and will have no excuses soon.

but just to reassure you that I have not become a Welsh-speaking outcast, here is a pic to balance the books...

post-7929-0-58794300-1538852402_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Here's something a bit different as a Hornby's Best Ever model.

post-4032-0-77947500-1538862326_thumb.jpg

I was looking at pics of the excellent Rapido LNER dynometer car made for Rails, and I thought of the Hornby Gresley buffet car. Looks good from the outside....

post-4032-0-82332600-1538862357_thumb.jpg

...but it has a very detailed interior.  The serving counter is great with tea urn etc.  No too sure but I think the "teak" version had a different earlier layout to suit the period.

• Like 1