Hornby's Best Ever Models

robmcg

Ah, the 'ol turnbuckle underframe syndrome, eh? (Can't be done for teak finish lining problems with this livery, though). :-)

Indeed.

Or the 8' 6" or 9' bogie wheelbase conundrum...

with acknowledgements to Coachmann who to his great credit gets these things right.  He also unravels such as Hawksworth doorstep dimensions with great aplomb and without charge.  (having recently bought some GWR versions of these very nice coaches).

On the subject of teak, I understand that there is some debate about the quality of such finishes, but I couldn't possibly comment.

I am as can be seen here, still afflicted with Swindonitis.

I wake up in the mornings thinking, 'what's on today, boyo?'  there's singing in the valleys.....  no cure s far as I can tell, except perhaps a dose of Gresley or Thompson... as per your buffet car.

in the meantime...

post-7929-0-86178100-1538889701_thumb.jpg

cheers

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I like it!  

There are people elsewhere in this forum who might want to burn you at the stake, chanting 'turnbuckle! turnbukle!...!'   but they may be safely ignored in this thread. :)

Hi Rob, I suspect the exclamation you're looking for is "Tumblehome, Tumblehome", something sadly lacking in the Hornby Gresley gangwayed coaches (although it is also debatable whether that's the correct word for it), also the incorrect positioning of the horizontal beading which in particular affects the application of the red/cream livery.  Not to mention the communication cord and tank filler pipe details being on the wrong end .... 

The Gresley buffets had angle truss underframes rather than turnbuckle ones. (From my "Historic Carriage Drawings" book by Jenkinson/Campling). I always felt that "turnbuckle underframe" had a certain poetic quality to it - I now think that I should have at least 1 item of rolling stock on the layout with such an underframe.  Presumably the turnbuckles could be adjusted so the frame could be straightened if it hogged or bowed. Rather like rigging a biplane.

Tumblehome should be the right word for curvature of a vehicle body, as it describes the same shape on a ship. The bottom of a class 37 bodyshell which curves inwards is another example.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The Gresley buffets had angle truss underframes rather than turnbuckle ones. (From my "Historic Carriage Drawings" book by Jenkinson/Campling). I always felt that "turnbuckle underframe" had a certain poetic quality to it - I now think that I should have at least 1 item of rolling stock on the layout with such an underframe.  Presumably the turnbuckles could be adjusted so the frame could be straightened if it hogged or bowed. Rather like rigging a biplane.

Tumblehome should be the right word for curvature of a vehicle body, as it describes the same shape on a ship. The bottom of a class 37 bodyshell which curves inwards is another example.

I have seen it said that the curve inwards below the waist is called the 'turn under' and 'tumblehome' refers to the inward curve above the waist, as in for example BR Mk1s or SR Bulleid stock, which is why I said "debatable".  I agree though it is usually used for the curve of the side.  I think it was said by a well known model coach builder who is no longer active on here.

Hornby did make a 61'6" turnbuckle underframe but have only used it for the Sleeping Car model, which I thought a pity as it could be used to bring variety to the 'day coach' models; not the Buffet Car though which as you say, was only built with the angle iron type underframe.

• RMweb Gold

I have been still afflicted with Swiindon though, 72XXs now.

Though you don't have the extremely rare convertible version  :sungum:  :sungum:

post-7000-0-66487200-1539020603_thumb.jpg

Note corrected position of rear vac pipe & buffer beam numbers and 'replaced' missing door ;)

Edited by toboldlygo
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Interesting tender - have a feeling there really was an 8 wheel GW tender, but not sure!

Yes there really was - 5904 ran with it in the 60's (in fact there's a photo of 5904 running with it, in the Book of the Hall 4-6-0's Part 2), it also ran with a number of other loco's as well.

My client told me, the chassis kit is by Falcon Brass-Works.

Yes there really was - 5904 ran with it in the 60's (in fact there's a photo of 5904 running with it, in the Book of the Hall 4-6-0's Part 2), it also ran with a number of other loco's as well.

My client told me, the chassis kit is by Falcon Brass-Works.

Thanks for info, an interesting GW experiment. Presumably not worth proceeding with. Thought I'd seen something about this once but wasn't sure where.

Thanks for info, an interesting GW experiment. Presumably not worth proceeding with. Thought I'd seen something about this once but wasn't sure where.

GWR No.111 'The Great Bear' had an eight-wheel tender, which it retained for a while when rebuilt as a 4-6-0?  Not sure if it is the same as the one in toboldlygo's pic, but Swindon tended not to throw things away.

I love the anecdote that upon hearing that Gresely was building a Pacific, Churchward was reported to have said, "Why would he want to do that? I could have sold him ours."

• RMweb Gold

GWR No.111 'The Great Bear' had an eight-wheel tender, which it retained for a while when rebuilt as a 4-6-0?  Not sure if it is the same as the one in toboldlygo's pic, but Swindon tended not to throw things away.

I love the anecdote that upon hearing that Gresely was building a Pacific, Churchward was reported to have said, "Why would he want to do that? I could have sold him ours."

No it was a Churchward design I think.

Shapeways have a 3d printed 8-wheeled tender chassis available for just over a tenner plus postage.

Cheers, 

CoY

Looks good

Going to put this here for those that have always had a go at the humble class 31.

To be honest I think the super detailed model is far better than the ex-lima one. I know some people think there are issues with it, and think that the Lima version is more accurate, but I disagree. The super detailed version looks much better and has much more detail that shows the parts and characteristics of the engine.

The running quality of these is far better too. While I know some of them have had issues with lights being wired up incorrectly or had the chassis issues where the mazok rot has killed the model, if you get a good class 31 and tweak it accordingly you have a really good model. My class 31s, enhanced by the wonderful work done by Bryan at Howes really wowed some of the crowds at the last exhibition this weekend gone, with good and reliable running and sounds that got the viewers attention, even if these were older and on the 3.5 chip (just shows how good they are!).

post-7347-0-92384500-1539164554_thumb.jpg

post-7347-0-77058800-1539164568_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

The alternative route of using the Falcon Brassworks etched tender chassis " is not currently available ".

I took my client 3 months or so to get his, after ordering (slightly better than the Blue box brigade) and I don't think it's cheap either.

Did I hear my name?

post-7929-0-54201000-1539302262_thumb.jpg

post-7929-0-62795100-1539302399_thumb.jpg

these engines look grand whether pristine or not...  my 1956/7 Ian Allan A B C shows them both ways too.  :)

pic edited.  little things like shadows under handrails mostly.

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 3