Hornby's Best Ever Models

robmcg

On ‎02‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 22:46, Hilux5972 said:

It’s amazing what some gloss coating can do to a colour isn’t it! The Locomotion King is exactly the same shade, but looks totally different thanks to the gloss. 

I quite agree that the Locomotion King is superb but I did read somewhere that it isn’t the same paint varnished; rather it is a different paint. That may not be correct; the gloss smokebox suggests all-over varnish. As for the blue King Richard II, it compares very poorly to Bachmann’s Pep A1 Curlew. Hornby’s recent offering of the BR Lord Nelson indicates to me that Hornby has still not mastered paintwork. It hasn’t always been so for Hornby’s Great Western Tintagel Castle is very nicely finished. I wouldn’t like all my locomotives to be gloss but the occasional glossy finish is wonderful. My eye is on the NRM’s glossy Terrier. If I like it in other respects (and Edwardian stands down his guns), I’ll choose some more pedestrian versions.

An afterthought. Heljan produces the occasional gloss locomotive. It strikes me that the gloss varnish is thin in places and the NRM jobs are better. Not that the Heljan is bad by any means.

On 02/08/2019 at 16:15, Hilux5972 said:

That has to be, without a shadow of doubt, the most hideous locomotive I have ever seen! 

Nonsense!  You have to acknowledge the beauty of this 1920s power on a 4' 8 1/2" gauge ...  130,000+lbs tractive effort, 120-loaded hopper wagons,  true art my son.

1578_H7_2-8-8-2_portrait1_4abcdef_r1500a.jpg.7db5e698e2b95cd43f6a52165510b66d.jpg

Although some prefer the UP Big Boy which 15 years later did it all again...  :)

Here is a Hornby Rivarossi model of one... 4014 has been recently restored to running order, you'll be pleased to know.

4014_Big_Boy_portrait2_1abcd_r1200.jpg.cb4978d0bf6e4ecea90a00be35d3017d.jpg

Next you'll be telling me a Wainwright SECR H class or similar fairground traction engine has beauty...

Hornby also make, or used to make an outstanding C&O H8 and Virginian AG class 2-6-6-6..

1461278774_907_1633_virginian_4000_H8_COAllegheny_r1500.jpg.332f8b19a1de4fc98365ab2a4b41273b.jpg

1633_H8_4000_CandO_2-6-6-6_portrait20_3abcde_r1200.jpg.a02d2401b44bc37eb207f87abc07dab9.jpg

But Hornby now make Christmas tree toys and Coca Cola trains...      whatever happened?

• Like 1

Wellllll.....

There's not that much call for US outline models in the UK that look like they'd go crashing through the infrastructure and tear overbridges apart, let alone rip up platform edges!  Then on the average layout, one of those, plus 120 hopper waggons would wrap around at least half a dozen times!  How long is one of those monsters?  About 2.5 Mk 1 carriages? You'd get one and a BSK alongside a platform! Anyway, I believe that the US monsters sometimes had great trouble employing their "power" usefully, typically American.... :jester:

Anyhow, Hornby have done very well with British Industrials recently, what with the RR powered Sentinels, the elegant Peckett B4s and the forthcoming (Sometime soon this month!) Peckett B2s. A loco doesn't have to be BIG to be useful, it all depends on the context.

As for the Xmas specials, they seem to rake the money in at the appropriate time of the year!  I see the Harry Potter set is available too, now there's a waste of effort.

Rivarossi were and perhaps still are sold widely, but not so much in the UK, US outline at least.

US articulated engines were used to their power limits regularly from the USRA 1919 compound designs onwards and very much by the Norfolk and Western, the Chesapaeke and Ohio and the Dulth Missabe and Iron Range used these living breathing monsters until the 50s, 1962 for the DMIR...    the C&O H8 2-6-6-6 was not used at its best speed for power development, but the UP Big Boys were worked VERY hard along with the 4-6-6-4 Challengers which could develop good power at 70mph.

Here is Britain at the time...

just did this,

60067_A3_at_speed_2ab_r1500.jpg.5c00b6d8237c971eb73e518d48ffa854.jpg

or would you prefer French style...?

241p_1_sunset_black_4ab_r1500.jpg.9936e1bd4f44a7da8f0600818efbb775.jpg

I assume that the apparent ignorance of real steam railways as practised by Chapelon and US engineers somehow went right past the people in the UK?  Obviously not the engineers like Stanier Churchward Gresley Maunsell Bulleid and others, but by the inward-looking English masses?  :)

edit; unless of course a Fowler 4F, a line of 5-plank private owner wagons, a siding and shovel was the Empire's Finest Hour.... 

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 4

On 05/08/2019 at 00:43, robmcg said:

I assume that the apparent ignorance of real steam railways as practised by Chapelon and US engineers somehow went right past the people in the UK?  Obviously not the engineers like Stanier Churchward Gresley Maunsell Bulleid and others, but by the inward-looking English masses?  :)

edit; unless of course a Fowler 4F, a line of 5-plank private owner wagons, a siding and shovel was the Empire's Finest Hour.... 

Its all down to size and context, I suppose.  Given the loads and distances we in the UK had to deal with, there was no reason to haul large loads long distances with big engines, and even attempts by the railways to get away from the traditional unfitted wooden bodied 10 ton PO wagons met stiff resistance from said POs and so we were saddled with them for long after Nationalisation, so the 4F and its clanging train of antedeluvian boxes on wheels were, if not a finest hour, at least a way of doing things.

Doesn't mean to say that the railways didn't get bigger, continuously braked boxes, it was just that they serviced things like big iron ore loads which weren't controlled by a notoriously backward looking coal industry.

• Like 1

Indeed the British railway industry was suited to its industrial needs and the small mines, small factories and various  other factors I well understand. 

Hornby produce and has produced some excellent European and US steam models  as well as electric locos etc so I thought some could be in this thread.  I personally admire some French and US steam but mostly I tend towards the British ... 

Edited by robmcg

I have never considered any of the Jouef/RivaRossi etc locomotives as a Hornby locomotive. This a is Jouef locomotive:

P1120532.JPG.e8d5ea7be20c3bd7a339a488ae248f9a.JPG

And this is combined French/US Hornby (left (REE right)):

SAM_1027.JPG.163dfd0e55735d20fd19ed4053efc59f.JPGSAM_1025.JPG.62133b4a37fcc0559ccac8751f58730b.JPG

I know that the Jouef etc brands are owned by Hornby.

By the way Rob, I appreciate very much your pictures!

Regards

Fred

Edited by sncf231e
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, robmcg said:

Something bucolic to soothe the ragged mind.

I wonder if or where a Duchess might have been seen like this?

Must have been on the Longmoor Military Railway, it can't be any sort of public railway as there's no fences in sight!  :jester:

Runs away sniggering in a Muttley fashion.....

On 10/08/2019 at 04:32, Hroth said:

Sounds feasible, an ideal running-in turn Holyhead to Crewe and a bit more sensible than a local passenger turn!

Well, at least the picture has the correct tender for 46245 City of London, unlike the version of that engine on shed I put up in the Duchess thread.. can't put too much there because I didn't start that particular thread.

It got me checking tenders on Duchesses and only one or two had riveted versions and there is even some debate about that...  46255-6-7,  I think, and I did find one pic of 46247 or 8 with a low cutaway version as per 46230-4, late in BR life, there weren't very many recorded swaps in a quick look.

I presume the upcoming Princess models will have two types of similar tender, 9-ton and 10-ton,  plus the large Fowler style one (even if it is strictly a Stanier engine).

Details, details, details!  At least it's not Bulleid Pacifics.

Edit; I think Princess tenders might be riveted like 46256 but in some years with different detailing, ah the complexities!

Is it too much to hope for something like this?  Existing model factory-weathered 46210 in BR blue, quietest smoothest engine I have ever owned. Later bevelled wheels edited on, and a few other bits.

46210_R2448_Princess_portrait1_forward_gear6abcdefg_r1500.jpg.13edd71a9d6e678e732382dd5c9e8337.jpg

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 2

Hello,

I am interested in buying a Class A3 Merry Hampton made by Hornby. I have read an article posted in 2014 and it has a photo of this engine, but it has it "TOPS" number. In the photo it shows the tender with coal railing around the top. The model I am interested in does not. The post was from "toboldlygo" in July of 2015. I would like to know how he did it and any other modifications that he made to the loco.

Many thanks,

Martin (Thailand) 

13 hours ago, LNER J83 said:

Hello,

I am interested in buying a Class A3 Merry Hampton made by Hornby. I have read an article posted in 2014 and it has a photo of this engine, but it has it "TOPS" number. In the photo it shows the tender with coal railing around the top. The model I am interested in does not. The post was from "toboldlygo" in July of 2015. I would like to know how he did it and any other modifications that he made to the loco.

Many thanks,

Martin (Thailand) 

Do you mean this one?

60066_A3_post-7000-0-21904100-1436211536.jpg.baed1d4a6c863b9674a47483ff9d043f.jpg

Picture by toboldlygo 

Lovely weathering. I'm not sure which donor Hornby model was used but it could have been 60093 Coronach which has double chimney no deflectors and GNR tender. And A4 boiler. I haven't seen photos of it prototype or model, with the larger tender.

I'll leave it to Toboldlygo to confirm or deny.

He has also done this...

60057_A3_post-7000-0-65008600-1429636057.jpg.fed4c9215404065f253bb39697266794.jpg

and this....  although I took the photo and edited it...

60072_A3_shed2_3abcdef_r1200.jpg.561821d91a6d3df1950addd26965091a.jpg

So anything is possible with his skills.  Well, almost.... :)

edit; 'Merry Hampton' 60066 had a GNR tender throughout late BR days so far as I know, withdrawn from Grantham in late 1963.

Edited by robmcg
added comment
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, LNER J83 said:

Hello,

Many thanks,

Martin (Thailand) 

Hi Martin,

I've had to find my BR Eastern Region head, as I've been predominately immersed all things pre-nationalisation (and a number of BR Western Region locos & rolling stock) for the last 18 months.

As Rob correctly surmised in his post above, I used a R3013 Coronach as a donor for Merry Hampton, as this had the correct boiler, chimney & tender combination for 60066 from October 1958 to October 61 when she was fitted with trough style deflectors.

Aside from running with GNR tenders virtually her entire length of service, Merry Hampton did run with a LNER Corridor tender for about 4 months in 1929.

Apart from renumbering & renaming, I made no other mods to the donor loco.

Kind Regards

James

Edited by toboldlygo
to add text
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On a slightly different tack, I think one of the finest 00 RTR models ever was and is the Hornby King Arthur series N15...

here is BR 30737 'King Uther' complete with Lemaitre exhaust in the mid 1950s.

Built in 1918. Withdrawn in 1956. Name given to 73111 in 1961.

30737_N15_portrait1_1abc_full_r1500.jpg.93cccc2615733f57c4f18d4acd70b351.jpg

• Like 3

6 hours ago, robmcg said:

On a slightly different tack, I think one of the finest 00 RTR models ever was and is the Hornby King Arthur series N15...

here is BR 30737 'King Uther' complete with Lemaitre exhaust in the mid 1950s.

Built in 1918. Withdrawn in 1956. Name given to 73111 in 1961.

I agree with you there, Rob. Hornby’s “new” N15 was helped considerably by comparison with the truly awful earlier version.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133115468043

• Like 1

I'll have to dig Sir DinDins out again and put it alongside my "new tooling" SIr Sagramore again for a laugh. At the time DinDins seemed a nice loco, but thats Triang Hornby for you!  Its rather akin to putting a 1956 R50 Princess Elizabeth alongside R2225 Princess Arthur of Connaught.  I'm just wondering how R2225 will look compared with the new tooling when it comes out...

• Like 1

In those far off days I wasn’t very particular. Even so, I couldn’t bring myself to buy Sir Dinadan, even though I wanted an N15. Consequently, I haven’t one to photograph or even dig out for a laugh! The Mainline Jubilees, even though improved since, were stunning when they first came out.

In view of the newly-tooled Princess on the horizon, here is the old tooling enhanced with editing...

6212_Princess_country_6abcd_full_r1500.jpg.295cc3c86efef3d6b923eaf8ebd005d0.jpg

based on a photo in an O S Nock book  at Thankerton on the north side of Beattock.... heading towards the climb at 60+mph.

• Like 4

Not having an encyclopediac recall of LMS names and numbers, I had to look 6212 up, to find it was "Duchess of Kent" as it looks so like R2225. 

I wonder why Hornby named  their model "Princess Arthur of Connaught" (6207), a locomotive involved in not one but two fatal accidents within three years of each other, resulting in the deaths of 39 passengers in total.  They could have chosen a less ill-omened name....