Hornby's Best Ever Models

robmcg

Collett and Bulleid...  

I'm sure Bulleid at least would have been aware of this... um, modest contribution to the opus of steam engineering in the 1930s.   :)

4466_A4_Herring_Gull_portrait50_2abcd_r1500.jpg.1731777b28fc55eff7139a7413bbbcc9.jpg

Seriously beautiful.....  

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Hroth said:

I dunno nut a younger brother with skilled hands and wire to fix a handrail-challenged new Coronation 6221 'Queen Elizabeth' is visiting here tonight for an ancient and revered fish and chip ceremony.....   the engine will have to be taken away for attention in a proper work-space. 

Then we will discuss the folly of Bulleid diesel-collecting, cricket, and the fallacy of objectivism. 

It's all high culture around here.

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 12/07/2019 at 14:40, robmcg said:

I dunno nut a younger brother with skilled hands and wire to fix a handrail-challenged new Coronation 6221 'Queen Elizabeth' is visiting here tonight for an ancient and revered fish and chip ceremony.....   the engine will have to be taken away for attention in a proper work-space. 

Then we will discuss the folly of Bulleid diesel-collecting, cricket, and the fallacy of objectivism. 

It's all high culture around here.

Should I mention the Cricket World Cup - especially to the runners up ;) 

Introducing King Henry V..

6019_lh.jpg.d307b70ac0a76e4737463f18dd164fe0.jpg

6019_rh.jpg.d1d3b1a84d38cedfda9eda146352695b.jpg

• Like 3

1_astro.jpg.ecb93a1427428aca70a7cd7d4031925c.jpg

It's got Hornby on the box!!!

Not perhaps the best mouldings and made of a rather soft "soapy" plastic,  this is a "classic" reissue from 1971.  You get 15 astronauts,  2 lunar rovers (there are 4 on the moon left after the last 4 missions). and 2 different "flying platform"  devices, that were actually designed for moon landings but never used.

Released in time for the 50th anniversary of the Apollo 11 mission.  I gather the lunar module kit will also  be re-released soon as well, have to get that.  they are also re-releasing  the Saturn 5 kit but that might be a bit too big to display...

Carry out your own lunar landing, kids!   It's the right stuff.

Edited by railroadbill
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, toboldlygo said:

Should I mention the Cricket World Cup - especially to the runners up ;) 

Introducing King Henry V..

6019_lh.jpg.d307b70ac0a76e4737463f18dd164fe0.jpg

6019_rh.jpg.d1d3b1a84d38cedfda9eda146352695b.jpg

Cricket? Pah!

Come October, it'll be the 604th anniversary of the Battle of Agincourt, anyone for a game of 'arrers? 6019 would make a most excellent trophy!

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, railroadbill said:

Bet it fits together better than an Eduard Typhoon.  :rolleyes:

Eagle has considerably more parts than the Typhoon, no over scale photo-etch to worry about or having to put a prop in the fuselage to get the wing root to fit properly..

She's en-route direct from NASA Lego, but will she get here in time for Neil & Buzz to set foot on the Moon again...

• Funny 2

in the interests of balance...

46248_Duchess_City_of_Leeds_portrait1_4ab_r1500.jpg.1f3d3381bcb66f7bf90404548bbed5b2.jpg

Much as the Duchess suited the work for which it was designed, Chapelon got much more sustained horsepower (nearer 5,000hp) from engines with grates little more than half the size...  the 242 A1  which had a larger loading gauge, more drivers etc,    but the design was not proceeded with, new-fangled electrification for SNCF, and the 1955 'modernisation' plan for BR.

242A1_portrait20_3abc_r1500.jpg.1c6c527061269744c8379a8ba03e5f8e.jpg

Imagine if these design principles took hold in Britain...

I remember the moon landings well, Winter 1969, at 18 yrs old walking to out local library at night  (1st year at uni)  ...   amazing!

• Like 1

"Arcadia" looks like it suffered a bit of a heavy shunt....

18 hours ago, toboldlygo said:

Oh the Lego Eagle did land (a few hours later than expected), it only took 2 and a bit hours to put 1087 (finger cramping) parts together :O

eagle2.jpg.ee7ef34ac53e47e92a5d1c7c01d9acfb.jpg

Lego models always give the impression of having been pixilated to a lesser or greater extent....

14 hours ago, toboldlygo said:

Not enough coaches get a mention as Hornby's Best Ever Models..

I submit their Southern (ex-LSWR) Non-Corridor Stock...

Dia.99 Brake Third 

Dia. 418 Brake Composite

I’m afraid that I reject the submission. I have four of these and the axles of all of them are too tight in their boxes. They are sitting around until I have another go at getting them to run freely. An unusual problem for a Hornby coach.

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

I’m afraid that I reject the submission. I have four of these and the axles of all of them are too tight in their boxes. They are sitting around until I have another go at getting them to run freely. An unusual problem for a Hornby coach.

I reject your rejection of the submission, on the grounds of tight axles. Are you sure it's not flash on the brake shoes - now that is a common issue ;) 

2 hours ago, toboldlygo said:

I reject your rejection of the submission, on the grounds of tight axles. Are you sure it's not flash on the brake shoes - now that is a common issue ;) 

I reject (Deleted – it could get out of control!) I don’t know what the cause is, although I’m led to believe that the problem was addressed in later releases. Thank you for concentrating what remains of my mind. With a bogie by my elbow, I had another look and it seemed as if the axles were rather long. It occurred to me (long overdue) to try spare Hornby wheels and it looks as if they have solved the problem. Now I have to test them more thoroughly, get more Hornby wheels and repair the damage to the bogies caused by cack-handedness. :imsohappy:

The replacement wheels don’t look as nice as the originals but if I end up with free-running coaches I don’t mind that.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

I reject (Deleted – it could get out of control!) I don’t know what the cause is, although I’m led to believe that the problem was addressed in later releases. Thank you for concentrating what remains of my mind. With a bogie by my elbow, I had another look and it seemed as if the axles were rather long. It occurred to me (long overdue) to try spare Hornby wheels and it looks as if they have solved the problem. Now I have to test them more thoroughly, get more Hornby wheels and repair the damage to the bogies caused by cack-handedness. :imsohappy:

The replacement wheels don’t look as nice as the originals but if I end up with free-running coaches I don’t mind that.

You still have more than one marble orbiting each other - that's excellent news.

Tip from me, figure out how the coach comes apart, remove the bogies and work on them separately - it works for me ;) 

19 hours ago, No Decorum said:

Not that unusual. From the home of 'quick and dirty' fixes: one appropriately gauged  squeeze over the axleboxes rectifies, deepens the pinpoint locations to suit. (You can obviously build up to the degree of squeeze require:  when the axle spins, you are there.) Some running afterwards to get the locations all polished up will usually see free running improve further. After that, I have found a little GT85 has vehicles rolling away on what are supposedly level layout locations.

Caveats. To ensure you are tackling the right problem, the axles should be tight, no end float at all; and check carefully for other fouling as cause of the drag as suggested above (flanges contacting underside is another). Ensure axles are located correctly, both axle axes in the same plane before going for the squeeze.