Hornby's Best Ever Models

robmcg

12 hours ago, No Decorum said:

Knowing how het up people can get (the well-balanced folk on this thread are exceptions, of course) I usually have to emphasise that my opinions are just my opinions and other opinions are perfectly valid. With that in mind, I believe that we are astonishingly well served by the RTR manufacturers and it is becoming increasingly difficult to select a model of the year or a best-ever model. I approach the task by looking for obvious flaws and eliminating models suffering from them. However easy or not it is to correct coaches which do not run freely, I would instantly eliminate Hornby’s Southern (ex-LSWR) non-corridor coaches as best ever models.

One could eliminate the blue Princess Coronations on the basis of top-front handrail fixing too..

sorry, it has taken much time and energy! 

robbies_queen_elizabeth_front_detail_5_28jul2019a.jpg.e7cc282876c078b6342e4ac88b431820.jpg

Why do digital camera make tiny parts look so easy to handle?

Edited by robmcg
confusion

14 hours ago, robmcg said:

One could eliminate the blue Princess Coronations on the basis of top-front handrail fixing too..

sorry, it has taken much time and energy! 

Very interesting that you should mention the Coronations! I have a very ancient blue one and I was eager to add a red one and possibly another blue to my collection. However, It would have had to have been well-nigh perfect, otherwise there would have been no point. The previous versions were eliminated because of the centre driving wheel, which was just one of those things I couldn’t take my eye off. With the new one, the machine-gun ports on the nose plus the stripes not meeting properly ruled them out for me. Mad when the previous version got the stripes right. Perhaps some time in the future Hornby will address these shortcomings, then I’ll be in business.

Two other things about these big Pacifics aren’t right but wouldn’t put me off because they are easily fixable. The first is that the rear cross member fouls the flanges on the spare wheelset and the second is that the drawbar cannot be used in the shorter position. It would seem to me that Hornby could demonstrate that it’s on the ball by including a second, shorter drawbar with new models very easily; much more easily than correcting the other flaws. I want Hornby to succeed but the flaws in some recent models could lead me into Hornby bashing. I don’t want to do that but Hornby does need to do better for its own sake.

1 minute ago, No Decorum said:

...It would seem to me that Hornby could demonstrate that it’s on the ball by including a second, shorter drawbar with new models very easily...

Or even better copy Bachmann's screw locked slide, allowing everything down to scale separation if the layout curves permit. That's the benchmark as far as I am concerned, because Bachmann have for a long time put the drawbar in the right location - which makes their models of superior appearance in this respect - and then refined on that with flexible adjustment.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Or even better copy Bachmann's screw locked slide, allowing everything down to scale separation if the layout curves permit. That's the benchmark as far as I am concerned, because Bachmann have for a long time put the drawbar in the right location - which makes their models of superior appearance in this respect - and then refined on that with flexible adjustment.

I agree with that. The only problem is that it requires modified tooling. I only suggested a second drawbar because it would have been a relatively easy thing to punch out a supply of them and put one in each accessories bag. It would have demonstrated that Hornby is paying attention. Hornby can produce excellent stuff – in particular, the mechanisms can be smooth, quiet and powerful. It’s as if someone along the line isn’t examining things with quite the attention necessary and things slip through.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 28/07/2019 at 10:02, No Decorum said:

That looks a nifty device indeed. I usually open out axleboxes with a drill bit. The problem, of course, is that the bit drills at an angle. I tried the DCC Concepts version of the Knowle device and found it totally ineffective. With thanks to everyone for their suggestions, I have found that substitute wheels have solved the drag. The new wheels are smaller, which has led to the foreseeable (but not by me) problem of the droppers on couplings fouling point rails. My next step is to see if I can raise the bodies on the bogies. Life persists in getting in the way.

Knowing how het up people can get (the well-balanced folk on this thread are exceptions, of course) I usually have to emphasise that my opinions are just my opinions and other opinions are perfectly valid. With that in mind, I believe that we are astonishingly well served by the RTR manufacturers and it is becoming increasingly difficult to select a model of the year or a best-ever model. I approach the task by looking for obvious flaws and eliminating models suffering from them. However easy or not it is to correct coaches which do not run freely, I would instantly eliminate Hornby’s Southern (ex-LSWR) non-corridor coaches as best ever models.

Well you've basically excluded every single model mentioned on this thread then...

.. as they all have had their issues

Talk about a true party pooper @No Decorum

We'll have to get @robmcg to rename the thread : Hornby's Worst Ever Models :jester::jester:

• Friendly/supportive 1

Woolwinder is just as shiny*, I've only got the Railroad version of CoTN, and I don't have an airsmoothed MN, though I do have the rebuilt, improved Lamport & Holt Line and examples of BoB/WC in airsmoothed (Manston) and rebuilt, improved (Trevone).

Hmmmm....  Woolwinder is the only one that Bulleid didn't have anything to do with.  I really need to find something different/better....  ;)

* Shiny 'allus looks dandy!

• Like 2

One could quite fairly argue that the Rivarossi Chesapeake and Ohio H8 2-6-6-6 was Hornby's finest model, still available new here and there.

Here is the prototype's predecessor H7 2-8-8-2 of the 1920s... 

1578_H7_2-8-8-2_country_portrait1_4abc_r1500.jpg.8ca6f668e68ae7413221ee320d2111d5.jpg

1578_H8_portrait1_2abcdefg_r1500.jpg.f3e5f99c0b83c3bda9645b9f37b40974.jpg

Peut-être que le style français plaît plus...  Hornby International Jouef.

241p_1_sunset_black_4ab_r1500.jpg.37cc2e7870ad2b537062d37b696cbddb.jpg

241P_showimage_4a_r1500.jpg.5d72b7239779e61319a744e17b3f2e7e.jpg

But how can you overlook true art?

6221_coronation_duchess_thankerton_country_4abc_r1500.jpg.5a7d49cd043d413d9ab93b6a9c4acdf0.jpg

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, robmcg said:

One could quite fairly argue that the Rivarossi Chesapeake and Ohio H8 2-6-6-6 was Hornby's finest model, still available new here and there.

Here is the prototype's predecessor H7 2-8-8-2 of the 1920s... 

1578_H7_2-8-8-2_country_portrait1_4abc_r1500.jpg.8ca6f668e68ae7413221ee320d2111d5.jpg

1578_H8_portrait1_2abcdefg_r1500.jpg.f3e5f99c0b83c3bda9645b9f37b40974.jpg

That has to be, without a shadow of doubt, the most hideous locomotive I have ever seen! 

2 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

That has to be, without a shadow of doubt, the most hideous locomotive I have ever seen! 

As they say, form follows function, so if you want to haul huge coal trains then an expensive, ugly assembly is all you need.

OTOH quintuple heading with these

11183354_Hornby4f.jpg.4d007121ef0dd959ea1f0a7ed60e8ae7.jpg

would give a bit more than the H7s nominal tractive effort, improved flexibility of use and be cheaper to build too.

:jester:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, robmcg said:

No accounting for taste. :)

I mean, if you wanted to haul 12,000-ton trains on grades of 1-in-125...  you wouldn't find better.

I’m happy with looks over haulage lol. Using one of your very own images as demonstration if that’s ok. 

38DA6492-8583-4F07-AE10-04C4BDA3AE30.jpeg

Edited by Hilux5972
Spelling correction
  • Like 4

Sorry, clicked prematurely on my last post,

Hilux is definitely right - IMHO the most handsome steam loco ever built and that wonderful front bogie axle arrangement reinforces the impression of raw power.

I don't think this model has ever received the recognition which it deserves, possibly because of the questionable shade of green on all examples bar the the Locomotion Models gloss version. If you are not convinced, have a look at the photos on page 4 of the "Locomotion Models announce D8000 and King George V models" on the Locomotion Models section of this site.

P.S. please don't think I am a Great Western fan!

2 hours ago, railroadbill said:

Now "what is the   most hideous loco ever"  would be  a great thread on it's own....

Why did the word 'Fell' come into head just then?    

Actually it has an entirely different meaning to those of us who lived in NZ in the early-50s... Five 0-4-2T  steam engines spread thoughout a train on the 1-in-15 Rimutaka incline, 3 miles including tunnels and 5-chain curves.  I was 4 years old and remember it.

0_cross_creek_reduced_royal.jpg.848d5490e0e5a480cd0bddc6aeef0ffd.jpg

My grandfather drove one of the compound 4-6-2s in the background, or at least on the Pilot Train, this was a Royal Train

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Vacuum said:

Sorry, clicked prematurely on my last post,

Hilux is definitely right - IMHO the most handsome steam loco ever built and that wonderful front bogie axle arrangement reinforces the impression of raw power.

I don't think this model has ever received the recognition which it deserves, possibly because of the questionable shade of green on all examples bar the the Locomotion Models gloss version. If you are not convinced, have a look at the photos on page 4 of the "Locomotion Models announce D8000 and King George V models" on the Locomotion Models section of this site.

P.S. please don't think I am a Great Western fan!

It’s amazing what some gloss coating can do to a colour isn’t it! The Locomotion King is exactly the same shade, but looks totally different thanks to the gloss.