Train spotting at Finsbury Square

31A

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

See the down Main and actual Point on the down Sation Loop.

This is on Flicker.

Easier to see if you enlarge.

Phil

That DOES look like a locking or fouling bar, with the purpose of preventing the point blade from being moved while a vehicle is passing over it.  Although again, that seems a little odd as (without detailed knowledge of the location) it seems to be a trailing point and trying to move it while a train was passing over wouldn't cause a derailment.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Anyone interested in learning more about how Main Line trains worked to Moorgate and other places in Central London over the LT "Widened Lines" could do worse that to get the two small books "Steam on the Widened Lines" Vols. 1 and 2 by Geoff Goslin (Connor & Butler, 1997).  Although the text concentrates on the various loco types used, they give an insight into how the traffic was worked and include a lot of photos showing the stations and other locations on the route.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 31A said:

That DOES look like a locking or fouling bar, with the purpose of preventing the point blade from being moved while a vehicle is passing over it.  Although again, that seems a little odd as (without detailed knowledge of the location) it seems to be a trailing point and trying to move it while a train was passing over wouldn't cause a derailment.

That end of the Station is where shunts too place to collect dropped off Coaches (for Seaton) from the Stopping Expresses. There are two Dummies if you look, allowing progress east. 

I'm fairly sure it was to indicate to the Bobby if something was there, but I can't quite work out what the movement would be, other than when the Dummies were set to proceed East (behind the camera)?

Coaches in the Down Platform would possibly obstruct the view from the Box. 

Behind the Camera and on the Up Main, was a Trailing X Over to the Down Main and thus to the Platform Loop, beyond the Bridge from which this pic was taken. At the X Over there was a Signal and a Shunter's Telephone with Buttons etc. as there were in a couple of other distant places within the Station and Yard areas. here was a Bracket Home gantry, protecting this Crossover and giving clearance to the Down Main through, or Down Platform Loop.

It's actually quite an interesting layout at SJ, allowing shunting moves from the Branch on to both Up and Down Mains and Platform Loops. The Branch Train, both Loco and P.P. Coaches, often shunted to both Up Loop and Down Loop via the Mains and I have pics to prove it!

Phil

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

image.png.2c7b97768feb32d9e9bb52b9f720f7fb.png

See the down Main and actual Point on the down Sation Loop.

This is on Flicker.

Easier to see if you enlarge.

Phil

7 hours ago, 31A said:

Sorry folks, going to disagree again!

If you look there’s also a bar on the down through and that one looks like you can see the pivots.  They are both located where you would have what the GWR called a Weighted Fouling Bar whose purpose was to indicate to the signalman that a train was clear of points.  So the facing points Down Through / Down Local would have an FPL Bar to prevent moving the points as the train was passing over, but the WFB were to prove the train clear of the points so that the signalman knew it was safe to pass a train to/from the other line.  All three bars were later replaced by track circuits from what I can see on the fuzzy SRS plan.

Paul.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, 5BarVT said:

If you look there’s also a bar on the down through and that one looks like you can see the pivots.  They are both located where you would have what the GWR called a Weighted Fouling Bar whose purpose was to indicate to the signalman that a train was clear of points.  So the facing points Down Through / Down Local would have an FPL Bar to prevent moving the points as the train was passing over, but the WFB were to prove the train clear of the points so that the signalman knew it was safe to pass a train to/from the other line.  All three bars were later replaced by track circuits from what I can see on the fuzzy SRS plan.

Paul.

Thank you Paul, no need to apologise!  There is obviously more to this S&T stuff than I knew (and I did think I knew a bit), so it's always good to hear from somebody who DOES know.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

Paul.

So they are a method confirming position/a movement?

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

At the ends of the suburban platforms at Kings Cross were similar bars, they indicated to the signalman that there was a loco still standing there. There were also some at the country end of the mainline platforms, again to remind the signalman there was a loco hanging about.

Why would you a want a fouling bar at an ash pit? Surely a fouling bar being depressed with a 71 ton N2 on it would prevent the signalman from pulling the lever to allow the trap point to be set so the loco could get off the ash pit.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

At the ends of the suburban platforms at Kings Cross were similar bars, they indicated to the signalman that there was a loco still standing there. There were also some at the country end of the mainline platforms, again to remind the signalman there was a loco hanging about.

Why would you a want a fouling bar at an ash pit? Surely a fouling bar being depressed with a 71 ton N2 on it would prevent the signalman from pulling the lever to allow the trap point to be set so the loco could get off the ash pit.

The theory was that it was a conditional fouling bar specially set up to prevent the signalman from restoring the trap prematurely, after setting it to allow a loco to leave, until the loco had cleared the trap. It wouldn't prevent the lever being pullled to set the trap and it wouldn't prevent the lever being restored when there was no loco present.   The trap wouldn't need to be set for the loco to trail it enter the spur.  Such an arrangement would be perfectly logical but it turned out that the trap was operated by the same lever as the points to the loco spur so that theory wouldn't work: therefore the bar must be a detector.  Another photo showed a similar looking bar at the buffer end of the adjoining platform at Moorgate St. so confirmed its purpose.   

Having established its purpose, does anyone know how such mechanical detectors appeared in the signalbox?

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I have had a second look at the photo and have realised I have made a massive mistake.

9 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

The loco siding in question would not have a 71 ton N2 on it but a nearly 72 ton LMS class 3 Passenger tank. We are looking at the LMR loco siding.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Ooooof. Love that last pic. Great angle, great colouring of the buildings and Loco's in the condition as if I were observing them on the Down Suburban Platform at Kings Cross in 1960. Lovely stuff Steve.

That 97XX you will be creating, will fit in that scene comfortably.

All the best.

Phil

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, 31A said:

Moving on (not so swiftly) to the bodies of these vans.

As I said, the sides are from Comet.  One pair I'd had for a long time, and was supplied flat, while the other pair I bought recently and came with the tumblehome already formed.  So, I put the curve into the flat pair, then decided the pre-formed ones had too much curve on them, so I've attempted to flatten those a bit.  There is still a difference between the pairs, though.

The sides come with half etched 'pops' on the sides to indicate the positions of the handrails, door handles and door stops, but not the door hinges.  On smooth sided coaches like this I don't think you can leave anything off and get away with it, so the first thing was to mark out the positions of the hinges, and drill through all the holes (remembering that the Guard's doors open inwards).  At this stage, I realised a BG has more doors than a seven compartment Corridor Third!  Albeit fewer droplights.

The door furniture is from MJT (from Dart Castings), as are the Guard's lookouts, and the hinges are also from Dart, from the Frogmore Confederacy range and listed as GWR although I defy anyone to tell the difference!

The Guard's door handrails are from 0.33mm brass wire.  Always interesting making these with their T formation, to get the horizontal ones level and with a robust joint to the vertical ones.  Ventilator hoods above the doors are from brass strip (etch scrap).  Door stops were made by soldering 0.45mm brass wire through the drilled holes then filing off to length.

At this stage, you can also see I've soldered a length of brass etch scrap along the top edges of the sides, above the topligts, to keep the sides straight and give a firm attachment for the roof.

IMG_6565.jpeg.67b98b4d1796d4e646e6028449514341.jpeg

After that, it was a quick job to solder up the sides to the brass inner ends.  I have added more brass strip across the ends, soldered to the ends and the side reinforcement, to help hold the whole thing square during construction, as much as anything.  This needs to take account of the eventual glazing of the toplights, though!  The one on the right has been temporarily placed in position on its underframe.

IMG_6578.jpeg.7ca4483b3d78fc2da035e2ff0f798c5d.jpeg

Next was to prepare the cast ends.  As far as I'm aware nobody makes castings that represent the ends of LNER steel panelled coaches; the MJT 8' 6" wide (for brake vans) ones where used, but all the panelling detail had to be removed by a mixture of filing, scraping and sanding.  As I was going to be using the Comet Models plastic roof moulding, the top profile of the ends had to be modified to match this rather than the MJT cast roof ends that it is intended for.

So, there was a lot of filing, sanding and scraping and at this point I could imagine @Clive Mortimore telling me to reach for a lump of plasticard instead - if he had done, it would have been good advice!  Anyway, eventually it was done.  In the picture below the lower ends have been modified and the originals are above.

IMG_6580.jpeg.7183230906aa221ac49a06cfb9960b38.jpeg

So, the cast ends were attached to the brass inner ends with low melt solder, with attention paid to ensuring there was no gap at the edges where the ends meet the sides.

As I imagine these vehicles will spend most of their lives in parcels trains, I decided to fit solid gangways with open ends, rather than the MJT folded paper type with gangway shields that I usually use.  Hence one van got Comet gangways, and for the other I used the last of my stash of Westward Models castings - there's a name from the past!

IMG_6590.jpeg.586381b060dff8429b8186c656532c54.jpeg

The above picture shows the attachment brackets inside the ends that I made to attach the bodies to the underframes.  Thanks to @jwealleans for this idea, but I made them from brass that was thick enough to take a 10BA tap rather than fiddle about soldering loose nuts to them.  You can also see the reinforcing strut I fitted between the sides half way along, to help keep the bottom of the sides in line.  The lack of any interior in vans like this made this easier, although getting the length right was a bit of trial and error, especially as it has to fit a bit up from the bottom to clear the up stands either side of the floor.

Then the next thing was fitting the roofs; these were tacked in place with Evo Stick then fixed permanently with Araldite.  I had perviously drilled for the vents, and fitted these after the roofs were attached.  Thankfully no passenger alarm or water filling fittings on these vans!

IMG_6615.jpeg.7f8c82747fb3a3dfbb38b7feec662959.jpeg

Which brings us just about up to the current state of play.  Basic painting finished; initially with Halford's etching primer (which is grey) followed by a quick squirt of red oxide primer, then the maroon livery which is Halford's Ford Burgundy Red.  The one nearest the camera shows the high tech painting jig; long 10BA bolts screwed into the body brackets and sitting in holes in bits of wood.

IMG_6720.jpeg

Class stuff Steve, however there is something that you mentioned that made me go cold! Guards' Doors opening inwards. I am absolutely sure I have NOT done that on any of my Builds on any Coaches! Ignorance on my part, is not bliss and I shall now have to check all the damn things, most of which are Bulleid Passenger Coaches and I have no idea how the Guard's Door(s) worked on those!

The one or two of these ER types I've done (badly, as you know already) I am going to tackle First. How embarrassing, so thank you for mentioning that one small fact.

Love this JIg by the way!

Also, I find the Plastic Roof work just so relaxing after hours of soldering and, in my case, faffing!

Phil

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Class stuff Steve, however there is something that you mentioned that made me go cold! Guards' Doors opening inwards.

I'm no expert on coaching matters but my recollection of Bulleid, Maunsell and BR Mk1 stock, including EMU's, is that the guards door always opened inwards so that the guard could safely close his door from inside the vehicle. 

Kind regards,

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, 30368 said:

I'm no expert on coaching matters but my recollection of Bulleid, Maunsell and BR Mk1 stock, including EMU's, is that the guards door always opened inwards so that the guard could safely close his door from inside the vehicle. 

Kind regards,

image.png.f72d539c81d8abe9c75eabe1158ff689.png

I hate to be obtuse Richard, but aren't there Hinges on all the Guard's Doors on this Loose Brake? Both actual Guard and the Luggage Compartment Double Doors? I'm happy to be advised otherwise.

If you click on the pic it comes up and you can enlarge it a bit I think?

Sorry Steve to interrupt your flow here

Phil 

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
On 07/10/2023 at 17:42, 31A said:

The 'riding tabs' that keep the body upright have only been folded up on half the bogies, and each coach gets one with and one without.  This means the bogie with the folded up tabs keeps the body upright while the other bogie is free to rock in any direction as it just rides on the securing nut on the floor, giving a form of three point suspension.

Brass coaches all perceived to be way out of my skill set, but I understand enough to be impressed by the above methodology.  Potentially transferrable (with care) to plastic bodies and bogies if riding is a problem.

Paul.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, 31A said:

So, there was a lot of filing, sanding and scraping and at this point I could imagine @Clive Mortimore telling me to reach for a lump of plasticard instead - if he had done, it would have been good advice!  Anyway, eventually it was done.  In the picture below the lower ends have been modified and the originals are above.

IMG_6580.jpeg.7183230906aa221ac49a06cfb9960b38.jpeg

I don't know what you mean, a lump of plasticard?

003a.jpg.4af57bb8c25f48a885e0e6d78ae51ee5.jpg

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 6
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Mallard60022 said:

image.png.f72d539c81d8abe9c75eabe1158ff689.png

I hate to be obtuse Richard, but aren't there Hinges on all the Guard's Doors on this Loose Brake? Both actual Guard and the Luggage Compartment Double Doors? I'm happy to be advised otherwise.

If you click on the pic it comes up and you can enlarge it a bit I think?

Sorry Steve to interrupt your flow here

Phil 

Oooo Errr is that passenger getting out the wrong side of the train?

• Like 1
  • Funny 1