New Dapol Items announced

Markeg

Hornby Magazine about 15mins ago posted that Dapol are to produce the following items.

N gauge NER/LNER/BR J72 0-6-0T and a OO gauge SR/BR B4 0-4-0T

http://hornbymagazine.com/view_article.asp?ID=7722&pubID=38&t=0&s=0&sO=both&p=1&i=10#continued

It would have been nice for an OO J72 to modern standards.  At least its more stock to buy.

Mark in OZ

And some re-runs of LSWR Drummond ‘M7’ 0-4-4T, LMS Ivatt ‘2MT’ 2-6-2T and GWR ‘45XX’ 2-6-2T.

I missed out of the first two of these first time round so will be making up for that and i have a softspot for the 45xx.

J72 - was the first model locomotive I owned when Palitoy did them but I might need to miss out this time round as I am not modelling that far north.

• RMweb Gold

Hornby Magazine about 15mins ago posted that Dapol are to produce the following items.

N gauge NER/LNER/BR J72 0-6-0T and a OO gauge SR/BR B4 0-4-0T

http://hornbymagazine.com/view_article.asp?ID=7722&pubID=38&t=0&s=0&sO=both&p=1&i=10#continued

It would have been nice for an OO J72 to modern standards.  At least its more stock to buy.

Mark in OZ

Definitely fancy at least one B4 !

John

The new stuff does not interest me but some of their early tank engines updated (hopefully) to modern standards would be great. I fancy an M7 hauling a short rake of Maunsell coaches but I have been put off by the poor performance of the original ones.

The new stuff does not interest me but some of their early tank engines updated (hopefully) to modern standards would be great. I fancy an M7 hauling a short rake of Maunsell coaches but I have been put off by the poor performance of the original ones.

I bought quite a few M7s, partly to make at least one G5.  On Trevor Webster's original Parnhams Maltings, despite two farish 04 diesels being available, the M7s were the only locos we could reliably use at exhibition to shunt the Peco magnetic couplers.  All of the three we took (at random from my collection of 2BR, 2SR and 1 LSW) were perfectly controllable at a crawl with the small gaugemaster handheld Trevor used on Parnhams Maltings.

The reason they were more suitable than the 04 diesels was the positioning of dead frog points relative to uncoupler magnets.  The 04s couldn't crawl reliably over these to stop with a wagon over the magnet....

Good news about the J72.That and the recently released Bittern are the only items I really want in the next year or so.....

All the very best

Les

Catalogue arrived today for members states last run before retiring the tooling so I suspect no upgrades.

Catalogue arrived today for members states last run before retiring the tooling so I suspect no upgrades.

I can't find that reference on mine- there are four 45xx liveries, 4 M7s and 4 Ivatts, but no numbers. I can't find any reference to retiring tooling either on the intro page or on page 19 with the listings. One thing it does say on p19 is "supplied with both standard and Dapol's Easi-Fit magnetic couplings", which would indicate the 45xx might have new pony trucks at least.

All the very best

Les

I wouldn't mind a B4 (OO), however, with their long lead times for new models, I won't hold my breath! I still want one or two of their OO class 73s and those are still only in the CAD stages. I'll probably have quite a few more grey hairs before the B4s arrive!!

Don't get me wrong; when they do arrive, they will most likely be very good models. I'm certainly happy with the class 22 and Western models I have and also the Kernow/Dapol Beattie Well Tank.

A B4 is great news, especially if it can be done to the standard of the well tank I'll be very happy.

I don't mind the lead time, as if all goes to plan I'll be in employment by the time its released. And as SRMan says, its likely to be a good, well developed model.

At this rate there won,t be many Bluebell engines which are not in RTR!

The Bluebell are doing very well out of RTR models, with Bachmann's last few announcements containing classes that I had never expected to be produced. It is however testament to the size and variation of the Bluebell's fleet that there are still fair few locos that aren't available in RTR!

I can't find any reference to retiring tooling either on the intro page or on page 19 with the listings.

On the Hornby Magazine page it states this, in reference to the Hymek re-run. Seems strange - surely the tooling can't be knackered already, and I'd have thought they could keep on selling a good few runs of Hymeks yet.......

Cheers,

Alan

On the Hornby Magazine page it states this, in reference to the Hymek re-run. Seems strange - surely the tooling can't be knackered already, and I'd have thought they could keep on selling a good few runs of Hymeks yet.......

Cheers,

Alan

Hi Alan

I guess that depends on the quality and durability of the tooling.

Regards

Roy

I

• RMweb Gold

I guess that depends on the quality and durability of the tooling.

Quite right, depending on what tooling they use some are only designed to last for a few hundred or thousand shots. No point spending out on top quality dies when you only forsee a short production run and the quality is the same if you keep to the designed number. Planning it like that means it's cost effective to upgrade a model after a few years to allow for new technology too rather than having to keep churning out the same model in different liveries for years like LGB did to get value from a mould.
Very happy to see the B4 as I was considering buying a SE F kit and trying to find time to build it amongst the other kits so that saves me some time on the OO front and I can concentrate on the NG kits.

Quite right, depending on what tooling they use some are only designed to last for a few hundred or thousand shots. No point spending out on top quality dies when you only forsee a short production run and the quality is the same if you keep to the designed number. Planning it like that means it's cost effective to upgrade a model after a few years to allow for new technology too rather than having to keep churning out the same model in different liveries for years like LGB did to get value from a mould.

Very happy to see the B4 as I was considering buying a SE F kit and trying to find time to build it amongst the other kits so that saves me some time on the OO front and I can concentrate on the NG kits.

Nothing wrong with the tooling as Dapol have only ever used hard steel. Good for tens of years yet.

Ally the body to a new chassis is easy, and wouldn't take long, just money.

Nothing wrong with the tooling as Dapol have only ever used hard steel. Good for tens of years yet.

Is the chassis that bad as it is? The Hymek I have runs sweetly...

Cheers,

Alan

• RMweb Gold

Wasn't suggesting there was anything 'wrong' with the tools Dave, just that if it was worn as speculated earlier that it may be worn for a planned reason. I have no idea whether the UK companies specify it or do the Chinese producers decide it on the number you require?

Your info suggests it's more likely market and they probably don't see a viable number of buyers at present for more, (if the tooling is capable of years more use), one to sit waiting for a few years probably while demand grows to viable levels?

I think it says  low price reruns  which doesnt sound like any upgrades .

Dapol have confirmed on their FB page today that the older tank locos will all be produced as per the original spec and with no upgrades. The toolings will then be retired (probably due to obsolescence rather than degredation). They have said they may redo these locos in future but it would be a full retool rather than an incremental upgrade,

Is the chassis that bad as it is? The Hymek I have runs sweetly...

Cheers,

Alan

Can anyone confirm if the Hymek reruns will have a new chassis, or am I just reading in to this incorrectly?

To have an n gauge hymek appear with a new chassis based on the excellent class 22 chassis would be far better than any new item for me personally, and I know it would be the same for quite a few others, and quite possibly the best news I've heard all year...!

Alan, yes it was. I've got 5, and they're all in bits after various attempts at getting them to run properly. It's the only loco to of ever defeated me.

So here's the rub, buy the old spec now because this is the last run of the tooling or wait a few years for a 'possible' retool.

My 45xxs run quite sweet once run in, I suspect the M7 is just a 14xx under the hood and that the Ivatt is just the same as a 45xx.

I'll take a chance on the outgoing cheap models, how about some more 73s then in blue to go alongside the 33.

Can anyone confirm if the Hymek reruns will have a new chassis, or am I just reading in to this incorrectly?

To have an n gauge hymek appear with a new chassis based on the excellent class 22 chassis would be far better than any new item for me personally, and I know it would be the same for quite a few others, and quite possibly the best news I've heard all year...!

Alan, yes it was. I've got 5, and they're all in bits after various attempts at getting them to run properly. It's the only loco to of ever defeated me.

Hi Ben,

About 2 or so years ago the Hymels were re-motored to accept super creep and this was adopted from then as standard.

So essentially the Hymek and 22 share those main components and pickups etc.

Cheers

Dave

Archived