Colas buys 10 Class 60s from DB Schenker

• RMweb Premium

just have to watch out for the froth and drool around whalley bridge as it passes micks house!

(the above views are my own and not colas'!!)

Letter of complaint being drafted to Colas management regarding "views" of one of their employees.............................. :jester:

With regard to the logs, what's the speed rating of the log wagons? 60 or 75mph? The limiting factor for a 60 has always been it's 60mph top speed.

Cheers,

Mick

Letter of complaint being drafted to Colas management regarding "views" of one of their employees.............................. :jester:

With regard to the logs, what's the speed rating of the log wagons? 60 or 75mph? The limiting factor for a 60 has always been it's 60mph top speed.

Cheers,

Mick

They'll be 60 mph loaded; possibly 75 mph empty. The ones adapted from the former Rover bodywork carriers were 75mph loaded/empty before conversion, I believe.

• RMweb Premium

They'll be 60 mph loaded; possibly 75 mph empty. The ones adapted from the former Rover bodywork carriers were 75mph loaded/empty before conversion, I believe.

Hi Brian - those were my initial thoughts with differential limits for load/unload condition.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

On Hemerdon they have been "known" to do about 8mph one away and a lot more the other...depending on things (like drivers nerves I guess :D )

They'll do more than 8mph with a 60 or 70 on!

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

Cheers,

Mick

the logs are 60mph whether loaded or empty so 60s will be ideal for it, loaded they "only" weigh approx 1250tons which is a walk in the (treeless) park for a 60

As to the speed limit on a class 60, just ask brush to reset the software. There was a test of a 60 vs a 59 when first built. The59 required bogie mods to run at class4 speeds but the 60 brush just reset the software. The same is true of the 92. If you told the computer you were on worn wheels when in fact you were on new ones the top speed was over 90.

My understanding was that the class 60's had very low gearing, in order to maximise the starting/continuous tractive effort. As a result they have a far higher tractive effort than any other loco in this country.  Thus by 60mph the motors are spinning pretty quickly, and even if the software could be reprogrammed for higher speeds it would undoubtably result in traction motor issues long term unless they were regeared - which then of course would be costly and lose them the tractive effort advantage thus making them more or less the same as 66 performance wise.

Basically a 60 can haul a longer train up a steeper hill than anything else - which is why they were so useful on the heavy oil trains, and why they have managed to survive - there are/were some trains that only a class 60 can haul.

As for class 92's doing 90, their design/authorised top speed is 140kph (87mph) so  that programming the computer that it is on worn wheels when on new would indeed gain it  a little more than 3mph...

• RMweb Gold

wow, that's like Pepsi refettling a bottling plant for coke...

I'm intrigued as to why they need to mess with these demics when they have 70s and 66s...

because we dont have enough 66s or 70s for all the work we have!

Probably a reflection of the state of DBS. With the traffic that others seem to be gaining from them they probably need to generate money from wherever they can get it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I'm taking bets on who this is.

if your thinking of that little pratt on wnxx he's already on here as dann1997

whoever littlejim is his 2 posts have been aimed at me personally which is a bit sad really that he/she has to resort to personal swipes to get their little kicks, it will be even more sadder if i discover its a work collegue trying to have a laugh

'little' is the right word!

I noticed that Jim, I'm new around these parts but it doesn't look very nice.

Please try and ignore him and continue to post your tales.......to a complete outsider to the industry they are fascinating, Thank you :-)

• RMweb Premium

One story/rumour/fact/platform end wibble* doing the rounds is that the 60's are being leased by Colas and having overhauls paid for by them. The work may not be to the same depth as the "Super60" program by DBS. They will still be maintained by DBS and when the lease expires, they could well return to DBS useage.

Another rumour is that Colas will use a DBS 60 on particular duties until the Colas 60's become available.

Usual disclaimer that this could be all speculation and the above could be complete fiction!

Cheers,

Mick

* - delete as approptiate

• RMweb Gold

Is there nothing the moderator can do to stop personal critisism? This is a railway site that is remarkably well served by Big Jim, I don't think there should be a place for trolls.

well i've reported the post so i'll see what happens!

Guest B Exam

Any more news on these ?

Rumours of 60087 having a test run on Monday 19th May, Toton-Doncaster and back.

Note: Subject to the usual platform end wibble...

60021 and 60076 inside the shed at Toton as completely stripped shells for rebuilding.

Archived