Colas buys 10 Class 60s from DB Schenker

• RMweb Premium

An interesting feature in the July edition of Rail Express on class 60's including an article from a certain yellow aficionado.

:sungum:

My workbench is "mostly yellow", however in the next few weeks, it's likely to be yellow, orange, black, blue & green, with a possible hint of red and grey!

Cheers

Mick

nice catch of 087  there Phil

:sungum:

My workbench is "mostly yellow", however in the next few weeks, it's likely to be yellow, orange, black, blue & green, with a possible hint of red and grey!

Cheers

Mick

you got the rainbow colour in wrong order there Mick I`m afraid to say  ;)  That or a Tate gallery special edition lol

• RMweb Premium

nice catch of 087  there Phil

you got the rainbow colour in wrong order there Mick I`m afraid to say  ;)  That or a Tate gallery special edition lol

You want to wait until I do indigo and violet.

Cheers,

Mick

You want to wait until I do indigo and violet.

Cheers,

Mick

So Colas have asked you too restyle the interior colour scheme for something different to the outside then ha ha

and replace drivers seat with big comfy leather recliners which I bet jim would love for a change to normal driver seats.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Cant wait to spot 60087,at helsby on the loggs... :sungum:  :locomotive:

Unlikely at the moment as it's migrated south and working from Hoo Junction. The latest story rumour was that the 60's weren't going to be used on the logs - however, you may get lucky with 70802 next Tuesday

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

Unlikely at the moment as it's migrated south and working from Hoo Junction. The latest story rumour was that the 60's weren't going to be used on the logs - however, you may get lucky with 70802 next Tuesday

Cheers,

Mick

Looks like 60087 has gone onto working the Llanwern-Tilbury steel.................

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

Well here are some taken whilst it was at Eastleigh. Hope they are of some use to you Colas fans!

Godfrey

Is it just me or does the front of the class 60 look miles better than the class 70.

I'm not sure if its the deep skirt ahead of the leading bogie or the yellow sticking out bit below the cab windscreen looking all the world like a large and unflattering belly / backside, but the 70s looks very 70s ish, and something of a fop.

The 60 on the other hand looks crisp and business like - no flares (as in the favoured trouser style of the 70s) or unnecessary styling needed on this machine - its obvious its up for the job with the minimum of fuss.

• 4 weeks later...

With regards to the Lease or sale of the 60s.

They have been sold by DB to colas or another part but from a very trusted contact in a management position with DB they were sold and more are likely to be sold at some stage as DB only look at retaining about half the fleet

• 9 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I find it rather sad that despite the age of thss 60 it still looks way more modern and better looking than most of the locomotives that followed it, it is only now with the entry into service of the Vossloh 68 that we have a locomotive that looks like it was designed as opposed to just happening. The 70 is a design for which the old adage "looks that only a mother could love" applies and appears to have been the end result of a designer being told to just make it compliant with applicable regulations and make it cheap whilst the 66 didn't look especially stylish or modern when the design debuted on the 59 in the mid 80's. The 67 was probably better looking than the 66 and certainly a lot better looking than the 70 but in the same way that many debillitating illnesses are prefereable to being told you have terminal cancer. The 60 still looks modern, its clean chiselled looks have dated incredibly well and it is a fine testament to the designers responsible.

Archived