'Driver Experience' event for RMWeb members on the WSR - Saturday 26th April 2014

Captain Kernow

• RMweb Gold

Here are the details of the proposed RMWeb event on Saturday 26th April 2014, the day before the Staplegrove exhibition.

Thanks to the kind cooperation of the West Somerset Railway, we have been able to pull together something rather special this year on 26th April.

Essentially we have arranged a ‘driver experience’ day for participating RMWeb members, rolled in together with our very own ‘brake van special'. The WSR are making the 09 diesel shunter based at Bishops Lydeard available for our use, together with two brake vans for it to haul. We will pretty much have the Norton Fitzwarren triangle to ourselves on this day! This will give RMWeb participants the opportunity to:

- drive the 09 under expert supervision by the WSR footplate crew

- when not in the cab and/or driving the loco, participants can ride in the brake vans and enjoy some social time and the passing views

- travel over portions of the WSR that are not open to normal passenger traffic, especially the full extent of the Norton Fitzwarren triangle, for which the WSR have granted us special (and rare) dispensation

- observe at close quarters the WSR ballast reprocessing facility at Norton Fitzwarren, which receives daily shipments of spent ballast from the Network Rail High Output Ballast Cleaner

- observe and photograph passing trains on the NR main line from a distinctly unusual angle

- there is the added attraction of watching a DRS diesel-hauled charter train coming onto the WSR at Norton Fitzwarren whilst the morning ‘driver experience’ is present

post-57-0-51464400-1397318019.jpg

This is how the day is proposed to be structured.

The WSR have kindly made the train and their staff available from circa 0945 to 1645. Partly as a result of the passage of the DRS charter, the RMWeb party will be split into two halves, one party taking the ‘morning shift’ on the driver experience event, the other party taking the ‘afternoon shift’.

‘Morning Shift’

0945 hrs – assemble on Up platform at Bishops Lydeard station (Taunton-side of signalbox) for safety briefing by WSR

1000 hrs – first trip departs for NFW

1015 – arrive at Allerford Jct (NFW) and access triangle

1030 – 1300 – a series of driver experience trips around the triangle (the WSR have estimated approx 30 mins per complete traversing of the triangle, but it may be possible to fit more in)

1300 – depart NFW for Bishops Lydeard

1320 – arrive Bishops Lydeard. ‘Morning Shift’ can then find some lunch and other activities pending the opening of the Taunton MRG clubroom at 1700 hrs (it is possible to fit a return trip by steam to Minehead and back – see below)

The DRS charter - 1Z91 0643 Hooton to Minehead (organised by Chester Model Railway Club), formed top & tailed DRS Class 47s and 10 coaches, is due to pass NFW en-route to Minehead at 11/36 hrs (booked into Minehead at 1300 hrs).

‘Afternoon Shift’

1400 - assemble on Up platform at Bishops Lydeard station (Taunton-side of signalbox) for safety briefing by WSR

1415 hrs – first trip departs for NFW

1430 – arrive at Allerford Jct (NFW) and access triangle

1430 – 1630 – a series of driver experience trips around the triangle

1630 – depart NFW for Bishops Lydeard

1645 – arrive Bishops Lydeard

Additional information

· Morning participants need to arrive at Bishops Lydeard by 9.30 (latest!) for a safety briefing and afternoon participants by 13.30

· We are working on the basis of one driver experience participant on the footplate for each transit trip between Bishops Lydeard and NFW and vice  versa

· We are working on the basis of two participants on the footplate when running round the NFW triangle

· Driver experience participants will be swapped around to give everyone in the party a fair and equal chance on the footplate

· Once we’ve left Bishops Lydeard, the facilities at NFW will be fairly limited, (but we believe that a Portaloo may be available). The Captain is proposing to take a flask of coffee!

· Due to the nature of the activities, participants should be able-bodied to access the brake vans and loco

· Due to insurance considerations we must ask that participants are 18 years of age or over

· It would help if you could bring an orange hi-viz vest along too (although one can be provided if necessary – but please notify us in advance of the date!).

· All participants should wear safety boots or at least appropriate stout footware – we will be walking on uneven surfaces for part of the time

Other activities

Those taking the ‘morning shift’ will be able to fit in a steam-hauled return trip to Minehead after their driver experience event, departing Bishops Lydeard at 1425 and getting back there at 1731 hrs, which will still leave 1 ½ hours to enjoy ‘Bath Green Park’ in the Taunton MRG clubroom on Bishops Lydeard station (this part of the day starts at 1700 hrs and finishes at 1900 hrs).

If you are on the ‘afternoon shift’ for the driver experience and would like to have a steam-hauled trip to Minehead in the morning, there is a 1025 departure from Bishops Lydeard, which gets you back there at 1343 hrs, just in time for your safety briefing and departure on the ‘brake van special’ to NFW.

Any RMWeb member who is taking part in the driver experience event will also be able to take advantage of a specially-negotiated discount on the adult return fare from Bishops Lydeard to Minehead. This is normally £17, but will cost those qualifying for it £14 – the WSR have asked that those partaking of this offer book their ticket in advance, please (quote that you are a member of the RMWeb Driver Experience party).

Costs

Whilst the WSR are most kindly not seeking to make a profit from this event, there is nonetheless a cost, which we in RMWeb must cover. As such, the final cost to each participant will depend on the overall number that will be taking part. Assuming that everyone will want to have a fair time allocation on the footplate, there is a fairly narrow ‘window’ between minimum viable numbers (15) and maximum possible numbers (22).

For our part in RMWeb, we will also run the driver experience event at cost. In the interests of setting some initial overall parameters, we need a minimum of 15 persons to sign up for this (out of this figure of 15, we already have a commitment from four people).

If just 15 persons take part, the cost would be £48 per person, but if we get the full 22 participants, the cost per person will reduce to £33 each, so you can get a good idea of how the price may fluctuate based on participation. Unfortunately we do need the minimum of 15 to make it viable, and we ideally need to know numbers asap!

Andy Y will kindly take charge of collecting all participation monies, and payment can be made to him ahead of the date of the event via Paypal, cheque or BACS transfer.

If you would like to participate, please drop Andy and Tim (Captain Kernow) a PM and also post within this topic, so that we can monitor as closely as possible the numbers and keep everyone up to date.

Ideally we need to make sure we fill up the morning slots first so, if you can make it for the morning departure, please do advise accordingly.

This is a great chance to get involved with an unusual activity and I'm sure there will be lots of fun along the way!

Finally, I’m sorry that these details are being posted up with only two weeks before the ‘day of the race’. This event has taken a considerable amount of arranging, phone calls, e-mails and meetings, including on the part of the WSR, so I would earnestly hope that we will have sufficient support in terms of numbers to allow it to go ahead.

Edit - the WSR have asked us to point out that participants must actually be 18 or over (I had initially thought it was 16, sorry)

I'd like to thank Tim for bringing his organisational prowess into play to arrange this; I know it's been tough to arrange in between pressing work commitments (something to do with a bit of water) but he's been able to deliver what he'd set out to do for something rather special.

Top chap!

• RMweb Gold

Hi Capitan,

Please put me down on the list please. Will send message as instructed

cheers

Simon

Thanks Simon - if folk could also specify whether they can manage the morning or afternoon trips, that would also be much appreciated, although to begin with, just to say that 'you'll be there' will be great. For those who don't mind going on either trip, please also state this, and we'll allocate in a way as to best balance the numbers.

Hi,

I will defiantly be up for the experience, although due to travelling up in the morning, it'll have to be the afternoon shift.

If people want to come, but just ride the van and not take part in the driving experience, is that possible and at what cost?

Simon

If people want to come, but just ride the van and not take part in the driving experience, is that possible and at what cost?

We've just had a chat about that Simon and if the driver turns get filled up we can open up some slots for 'ride-only' and we'll work out a cost on that which would then go into the charity pot for the weekend. We'll let you know as soon as we can.

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

I will defiantly be up for the experience, although due to travelling up in the morning, it'll have to be the afternoon shift.

Simon

Hi Simon,

Thanks for that. I'll put you on the 'afternoon list'.

As regards just riding in the van, this may be possible, but we are proceeding on the assumption that most if not all people would actually like to have a go at the driving, so if we reach the maximum numbers for the driving experience part of it, we will look at how we can possibly offer just brake van rides for a lower cost.

• RMweb Premium

I'd sooo love to do this, but can't due to being stuck in Lodnod with no cash :umbrage:.

<--(see profile pic) - I am reminded of the experience day I did on the Lavender Line with Terrier 662 'Martello', it was definitely fun :) and even though this is 'only' a diesel, I think it's still worth it for those who can do so.

Anyhoo, hope it all goes well :locomotive: :good:

Methinks the Captain is due a promotion, this is a really special opportunity that has been organised. Pity I can't make it.

What truth in the rumour that to top this and keep his mantle of Caesar, Mr York has organised a driver experience on the Pretendolino with free use of the line between Coventry and Birmingham International for a mere £15 per rmweb member at the Rmweb

Experience at the Ricoh.

Dependent on timings Norton Fitzwarren may be a rather good place to be on that day; the DRS 47 charter to the WSR should look rather good with the Riviera set, The British Pullman(DBS 67) is due into Taunton from the SW at some point and then to top those Western Champion should go through on its way to Paignton on the Devonian. Those people maybe lucky enough to glimpse us having a jolly. ;)

• RMweb Gold

Tim

Sounds like a great opportunity especially due to the fact that it's an 09 rather than the 350s from the other regions....

I am happy put myself forward for a morning session but as I will driving down 1st thing I don't mind being bumped to an afternoon slot if required.

• RMweb Gold

I'll be happy to make-up the numbers on the afternoon trip if you are short of those wanting to drive the 09 on late turn but as I've driven 'other regions 350s' in the past I don't want to deprive anyone who has never had the chance previously of having a go on this occasion.  Great idea Cap'n and glad it's all come together.

• RMweb Premium

Would have loved to make the journey from Essex again, but the house is on the market and I can't justify two days away at potential peak viewing time, so I'm off to the Stowmarket show on Sunday instead.

Hope all goes well and look forward to seeing the pics!

Maybe next year.......

• RMweb Premium

And with almost the entire WSR being available for "track bashing" on either shift what arrangements are being made to complete the job and convey the party to Staplegrove "after hours" by some hi-jinx with the 08 down to Silk Mills ;)

Perhaps the "limited facilities" at NFW might include pasties baked on the brake stoves???

Much though I'd love to join the fun I regret distance and cost are prohibitive on this occasion unless there's an unexpected lottery win in the next few days and places are still available.  For all who can get there - enjoy!

• RMweb Gold

A quick discussion with the domestic authorities has now freed up the Saturday!

Definitely up for this, AM or PM is fine for me as I'm local.

Well done to the Captain et al for pulling this one out the bag.

Matt

Archived