RMweb

Days when you know why you live in the British Isles

''Days when you know why...''

Just this morning... standing right next to King 6023 at Didcot as it made a shunt move from the demonstration line back onto the shed, what a beautiful machine it is, the fact that we're able to still see such things is reason enough to be grateful... and driving home via a long detour through the Cotswolds was a sheer delight, even in the areas where road traffic is quite heavy. Fantastic.

Edited by Rugd1022

Looks unbeatable on any day. I think I know where my next vacation will be!

Don't be deceived - it's not quite so good when excessively moist and misty.

When I was at Lancaster University we used to ramble in the Lake District virtually every week and I can count the number of times when the weather was excellent on one hand and a bit. Mind you we were rambling in the rainy season which seemed to last from October to May, unless it only rained on Sundays.

Nevertheless spectacular when the weather is right.

Edited by cary hill

• RMweb Premium

Re. The Lake District, I used to stay in Blackpool with an aunt who is now sadly deceased. She used to live in North Shore were the ground was a bit higher. From her back bedroom window you could see the tops of the hills of the Lake District, and more importantly what the weather was like. It took less than an hour to get there from Blackpool and only on very rare occasions we were 'caught out' by the weather.

• Like 1

From her back bedroom window you could see the tops of the hills of the Lake District, and more importantly what the weather was like.

That's cheating!

As students boarding the bus for our Lake District rambles in the University underpass was often the only "dry" bit of the day, common sense never really came into the equation. :jester:

I really don't know what all the fuss is about, although I must admit it has been known to cloud over here in the Lakes occasionally.  :jester:

It's still beautiful even when it's pouring with rain and blowing a gale though, especially the way the fells tower up into the clouds, Tolkeinesque-like. Coming in from a winter's walk in the wind and the rain to a cosy fire is just as nice in its own way as a beautiful walk on a summer's day. I used to find the same on the Cornish coast. Besides, bad weather can mean more modelling time.  :senile:

It's also amazing how often the sky clears at the end of a wet day and you get scenes like this...

post-7247-0-23909700-1409758816_thumb.jpg

Edited by Waverley West
  • Like 16

I really don't know what all the fuss is about, although I must admit it has been known to cloud over here in the Lakes occasionally.  :jester:

It's still beautiful even when it's pouring with rain and blowing a gale though, especially the way the fells tower up into the clouds, Tolkeinesque-like. Coming in from a winter's walk in the wind and the rain to a cosy fire is just as nice in its own way as a beautiful walk on a summer's day. I used to find the same on the Cornish coast. Besides, bad weather can mean more modelling time.  :senile:

It's also amazing how often the sky clears at the end of a wet day and you get scenes like this...

attachicon.gifCat Bells.jpg

Now,...That is stunning.... Thanks WW.

• RMweb Gold

Saturday night in our back garden. Beer, food, friends, music and song. What could be more British (except Roisin who comes from Eire).

post-7024-0-75123100-1409785968_thumb.jpg

Oh, and Big Ants who comes from New Zealand.

Edited by 96701

To compliment the video above, a couple of shots of "Waverley" from about 2 years ago. 

"Waverley" berthed for a brief time in Minehead harbour:

post-9751-0-36659300-1409852464_thumb.jpg

Reverse paddling out of Minehead harbour a few minutes later.

post-9751-0-04189400-1409852563_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Mornin' all,

A few clips from our scenic day trip to the West Wales coast yesterday...Ellesmere for coffee...Whittington castle...Oswestry-Lake Vyrnwy scenery...lake & dam...route towards Dolgellau...some time bathing in the sea at Barmouth pre a walk over the Barmouth bridge to Arthog & back.  

Dave

• Like 4

One of my favourite dog walks, Durlston Country Park,

http://www.durlston.co.uk/

with an average annual rainfall of 26 inches ( one tenth of that of the Lake District), and thanks to Devon, and Cornwall for taking the brunt of the rain out of the prevailing winds, is one of the driest places on the South Coast. 

post-7336-0-22453200-1410676274.jpg

• Like 8

Guest CLARENCE

Had a short walk thro' the woods behind our house yesterday, and met this little guy; sat there a couple of feet away for several minutes. Where else could this happen?

post-283-0-40310400-1410710482_thumb.jpg

Cheers, David

Abridged North to South walk through Dunster:

post-9751-0-97731700-1410885855_thumb.jpg

A view towards Dunster Castle with the Yarn Market in the middle foreground.

post-9751-0-02436500-1410885907_thumb.jpg

Some of the delightful cottages in Park Street.

post-9751-0-14139500-1410885946_thumb.jpg

After crossing the Gallox Bridge, some slightly more rustic cottages.

post-9751-0-60915100-1410886945_thumb.jpg

A twenty minute walk through the Crown Estates Woods and pleasant views of Exmoor are revealed.

• Like 12

Did you take the train?

John

Not to visit Dunster this time, but we did get off the train at Watchet to explore the few remains of the West Somerset Mineral Railway there and to walk the two miles of it's former trackbed to Washford.

• Like 1