Legomanbiffo World Tour

charliepetty

Hello Charlie.

Before I order for Woking, could you clarify two things please?

Do the chips for Class 47 and Class 52 have Sound Fade out yet please?

Cheers

Dave

Sorry but been overwhelmed with orders & preparing for Woking!   Ian says he is pretty certain these two have been enabled.    Charlie  

Just seen Biff's new "Full Throttle" on his youtube channel, sounding and looking excellent, With that and the EM speakers really is going to blow people's minds,

Definitely going for the 37's 47's and 50's when they become available, In time will the new LMS 10000 and the HST's get this feature? Revving the 'Ahem' off the valenta  will be an awesome thing,

Regards Craig.

Edited by UP 4000

This is great news about Full Throttle. I've just fitted one of the US FT sounds and it is brilliant.

I agree with having the Independent Brake on F5 but where will Leggomanbiffo Put the drive hold?

Please don't put it higher than F9 as this takes too many button presses on an NCE throttle when shunting. How about having the Spirex Valves run automatically for 1 or 2 minutes after shutdown then fade out or stop..

Dave Smith

Edited by dasatcopthorne

In what way does the independent brake work ?

Maybe wrong here, but I think this is sort of right,

Independent brake - Locomotive brakes only

Dynamic brake - Engine braking

Service brakes - Locomotive and rolling stock brakes, Air powered.

In regards to the 'Full Throttle' Independent braking would take longer to stop and give more of brake squeal I would think,,,

Isn't Dynamic Braking only on US stuff. I think it's more to do with a sound related to it.

The Independent Brake works by slowing the loco by pressing an F key whatever one it is mapped to.

Dave.

Hurry up Biff I need a 47/7 and a 52. Please.

Edited by dasatcopthorne

Dynamic Brakes is heard more in the US, but is just still a retarder, a way of slowing a loco without using brakes, either engine or traction motors, could say same as a car using engine and gearbox to slow down without the brakes.

I don't know if Biff will put this feature on, it was more to identify the different brake setups, I think Biff mentions on his class 37 video that the independent brake will stop the loco eventually, but how it works and sounds we'll just have to wait and see,,,

• RMweb Premium

Isn't Dynamic Braking only on US stuff. I think it's more to do with a sound related to it.

Although US built, but UK operated - the class 70s have dynamic braking. There's a very distinctive howl to the cooling fans.

Cheers,

Mick

What I need is about three lifetimes to fit in all the things I want to do just now, it's all gone a bit silly this year.

To answer the point about dynamic braking; it is used in the UK, by the Class 68 and Class 70. I've set these up to match what you hear from the prototype, ie a fan sound upon heavy braking that runs on for a short time. On the 68 the fan speed is constant but on the 70 they ramp up considerably and really scream when they get going. The 86's and 87's feature the very similar rheostatic braking, the effect in sound terms being the same, ie fan sounds that ramp up upon heavy braking. Again I've set these up to match the prototype as far as possible.

Turning to the full throttle features, my current plans are as follows;

At the moment I program F5 with two separate functions. When the loco is stationary it produces a brake dump / brake test sound. Alternatively, if the loco is moving and F5 is turned on, a brake application sound is produced whenever the throttle is reduced. The heavier the deceleration, the heavier the brake application sound you hear.

I plan to leave the stationary function as-is (and on F5) but change the 'when moving' function to a manual brake. This will be set up to sound the way locos tend to be driven. If you press F5 when moving you will hear, in sequence; the engine revs spool down (as the driver shuts the regulator off) a brake application sound after a short delay (as is often heard) and throughout this the loco's speed will begin to reduce. If you leave F5 on, the speed will continue to fall until the loco is stationary, and if you remain stationary for more than two or three seconds you'll hear the brake dump sound as normal. If you release F5 before the speed has fallen to zero you'll hear the brakes release and the engine revs will go back up appropriately. During all of this you can leave the throttle where it is, such that when you release the manual brake the loco takes off with all the normal sounds and playability.

Since this is a feature I will be rolling out to all projects I need to take time and get it right and consider all the variables.

To avoid extensive remapping work I plan to put the drivelock / full throttle feature on F15, which has been used as the exhauster speed-up button in a handful of projects. I have since modified these so that you can easily select exhauster low and high speed using just one key (F14).

In its new role, F15 will lock the loco's current speed and divorce it from the engine sounds. It will henceforth be known as the 'divorce' button, I'm sure we can extract some comedy mileage from that! With F15 on you will be able to 'drive' the sound using the throttle, to trash, coast, notch up or down without affecting the loco's speed. When you release F15 the loco's speed will rise or fall back into line with the throttle setting. You can turn F15 on and off repeatedly to (for example) simulate a loco slowly getting to grips with a heavy train. I'm using the West Highland 37 sounds as a test bed for all this and everyone who's tried it loves it. The first project to have it as standard is the Janus shunter where I've found it particularly useful when shunting.

Bif

• Like 1

That's great info Biff, cleared a lot up, Will you or Steve be putting another video of the 37 demonstrating all this at a later date? If the Janus shunter is the first, I think it's released early next year if all's going to plan does that mean it's going to be the new year before your 'full throttle' appears on your sound files?

Regards Craig.

Well, you can have a Janus shunter chip now if you want one! However the answer to your question is no, you won't have to wait until the new year as the updated WH 37 will be ready in the next few weeks. Once I've finalised that the rollout to everything else will begin. I'm tempted to say the rollout shouldn't take too long, but knowing how real life has a way of getting in the way...

Regarding Two-Tones question; I haven't tested the deceleration rate yet to compare with that set by CV's, or explored what control you have over it, if any, that's part of the work I still need to do.

Bif

I'd love to say yes, But I'll wait until it arrives in the janus ncb livery what's on order, Certainty be putting in a nice order and major sound overhaul of the fleet, Would they be available to be emailed as  re-blows at a later date??

Thanks Craig.

Bif.

Using Lokprogrammer, will I be able to re-map F15 to, say F8 and F8 sound to F15 without any consequences.

The thing is, on NCE, and I think quite a lot use this make, to get F15 you press 'Option' +  5. The throttle then returns to 'normal'. To operate F15 again it's 'Option + 5 again. By the time you've done this twice, the loco is at the end of the line.

Dave

re-mapping functions on the Lokprogrammer is fairly easy, and the above example won't cause any problems as long as any other features are moved at the same time, If F8 had a sound output and a physical output (we'll say steam locomotive with firebox flicker for example) when F8 is pushed you here coal shovelling and see firebox flicker, the physical output needs to be moved to F15 with the sound.

I normally swap the horns around, generally Biff's is F2 high horn, F3 low horn, others might have a 2 tone on F2. At the moment I prefer F2 as the low horn and if there's a 2 tone that goes on F4, Mainly as using the ECoS I can tap the joystick up for a short low blast, and hit F3 then whack the joystick forward for a good old 2 tone.

I will revert these back to normal once ESU decide to activate the down feature on the ECoS's joystick, giving proper 2 tone action!!!

You can do pretty much anything with the Lokprogrammer apart from tampering and adding sound files. I would say first is read the decoder data and save that as a master if anything goes wrong, This does not save the sound file only the information and cv settings.

Always double check before you write the settings, it's the middle button, Don't hit the one with the music note, (I did) or you end up with a lovely fresh blank decoder.

Hope it's of some help, if not long winded,,,

Edited by UP 4000

re-mapping functions on the Lokprogrammer is fairly easy, and the above example won't cause any problems as long as any other features are moved at the same time, If F8 had a sound output and a physical output (we'll say steam locomotive with firebox flicker for example) when F8 is pushed you here coal shovelling and see firebox flicker, the physical output needs to be moved to F15 with the sound.

I normally swap the horns around, generally Biff's is F2 high horn, F3 low horn, others might have a 2 tone on F2. At the moment I prefer F2 as the low horn and if there's a 2 tone that goes on F4, Mainly as using the ECoS I can tap the joystick up for a short low blast, and hit F3 then whack the joystick forward for a good old 2 tone.

I will revert these back to normal once ESU decide to activate the down feature on the ECoS's joystick, giving proper 2 tone action!!!

You can do pretty much anything with the Lokprogrammer apart from tampering and adding sound files. I would say first is read the decoder data and save that as a master if anything goes wrong, This does not save the sound file only the information and cv settings.

Always double check before you write the settings, it's the middle button, Don't hit the one with the music note, (I did) or you end up with a lovely fresh blank decoder.

Hope it's of some help, if not long winded,,,

This can be done at no charge IF you ask Charlie or Bif when ordering, so let us know please if this is required.   Charlie