Legomanbiffo World Tour

charliepetty

These will be coming On stream when we have finished evaluation in various locomotives with differing sound files, as we don't want them failing on you!!   Charlie

Thanks Charlie,

Look forward to giving them a try when they are released!

Martin

We are constantly on the lookout for better speakers and came across a small range that looked promising. Three different sizes were ordered for evaluation and it quickly became apparent that they were 'game changers', outperform anything of similar size. Their greater bass extension brings out sounds we've only dreamt about in 4mm, the Paxman HST being particularly notable. Their all-round clarity gives a very rounded, natural sound.

We noticed that the pair we fitted to the HST could be felt through the baseboard and that's where the 'Earth mover' name came from. For some weeks now we've been thrashing them at shows and at home to see if they stand up in service and they appear to be fine.

The smallest (EM1, slightly smaller than a standard bass reflex) does not have sufficient power handling for use on its own (0.5W) but works very well in combination with a second speaker. The 26, 27 and 33 are outstanding with one in the roof and our fuel tank speaker in the tanks. This would be also good option for the Bachmann 47 with the EM1 in the tanks and a 20x40 up top. The EM1 has also enabled the best ever air-braked 26 we've heard (EM1 in the roof, sugar cube in the tanks).

The EM2 is bigger than a standard bass reflex but can still be fitted in a fair few 4mm locos with variable amounts of work (HST, Deltic, 40 plus obvious ones like the Pendolino and Eurostar). Steve is shoe-horning them in to models we'd never thought possible, it just has to be done given the results. Of the 3 speakers, this is the one that excites me the most!

The EM3 is essentially a standard bass reflex on steroids for O gauge. They will fit in the tanks of a Heljan 7mm 37 in exactly the same way that the 4mm bass reflex fits in a Bachmann loco (with similar but scaled up results).

We're just starting to get them in commercial quantities now. They going to cost a bit more than regular speakers but you'll soon forgot about that after playing with them for a while.

On the subject of reblows, yes these are now available by email so you can load (and tweak them) yourself, if you have a Lokprogrammer. The files also form a handy backup if you inadvertently duff up any settings. The process is very straightforward and I've written a handy guide. Clubs and customers abroad are finding this to be very useful, saving postage time and money.

Finally, on the subject of the APT-E sounds, I'd be interested to hear your ideas on what could be done. I'd happy to take them on board if they're achievable.

We are constantly on the lookout for better speakers and came across a small range that looked promising. Three different sizes were ordered for evaluation and it quickly became apparent that they were 'game changers', outperform anything of similar size. Their greater bass extension brings out sounds we've only dreamt about in 4mm, the Paxman HST being particularly notable. Their all-round clarity gives a very rounded, natural sound.

We noticed that the pair we fitted to the HST could be felt through the baseboard and that's where the 'Earth mover' name came from. For some weeks now we've been thrashing them at shows and at home to see if they stand up in service and they appear to be fine.

The smallest (EM1, slightly smaller than a standard bass reflex) does not have sufficient power handling for use on its own (0.5W) but works very well in combination with a second speaker. The 26, 27 and 33 are outstanding with one in the roof and our fuel tank speaker in the tanks. This would be also good option for the Bachmann 47 with the EM1 in the tanks and a 20x40 up top. The EM1 has also enabled the best ever air-braked 26 we've heard (EM1 in the roof, sugar cube in the tanks).

The EM2 is bigger than a standard bass reflex but can still be fitted in a fair few 4mm locos with variable amounts of work (HST, Deltic, 40 plus obvious ones like the Pendolino and Eurostar). Steve is shoe-horning them in to models we'd never thought possible, it just has to be done given the results. Of the 3 speakers, this is the one that excites me the most!

The EM3 is essentially a standard bass reflex on steroids for O gauge. They will fit in the tanks of a Heljan 7mm 37 in exactly the same way that the 4mm bass reflex fits in a Bachmann loco (with similar but scaled up results).

We're just starting to get them in commercial quantities now. They going to cost a bit more than regular speakers but you'll soon forgot about that after playing with them for a while.

On the subject of reblows, yes these are now available by email so you can load (and tweak them) yourself, if you have a Lokprogrammer. The files also form a handy backup if you inadvertently duff up any settings. The process is very straightforward and I've written a handy guide. Clubs and customers abroad are finding this to be very useful, saving postage time and money.

Finally, on the subject of the APT-E sounds, I'd be interested to hear your ideas on what could be done. I'd happy to take them on board if they're achievable.

Hi Bif,

Many thanks for the additional info and background behind your new "Earth Movers".  Really looking forward to trying them!

With your enthusiasm for the EM2, can you please advise on its exact dimensions? I would like to consider some possible retrofits to existing 4mm locos, so I can hit the ground running, when you are ready to release them for sale.

Also, with your suggestions for twin speaker combinations, I wonder if you are planning both 4ohm and 8 ohm options? 

Regards

Martin

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the information, will be watching this closely, If the floorboards shake and the neighbours complain then definitely onto a winner!

I do like the idea of emailing the sound files, mainly as with the Heljan 47 for example and a few others that run 8 pin, the speakers have been changed and are part of the shell, so would be the case of sending the loco instead of just the decoder(21pinner) can be done but personally I'd be doing 3-4 at a time, so one big box to send.

How would you go about ordering them? Do you order them via Charlie or Yourself?

As for the APT-E, It's not improvement on the sounds, there bang on, It's pushing it that bit further, mainly for myself and possibly a select few, I do have a few ideas but the main one I'm thinking is for "service use" she is on the apt-e RMWeb forum, and thinking possibly a matched pair of decoders very much like the Class 43.

Being a 10 car unit, delayed engine startup and sound, horns operating in direction of travel etc, would just give it that bit more. I know it's a 2nd decoder, and would go for an 8pin, as it's only purpose is sound in the "dummy" power car.

I do have a few more ideas, if they are possible I don't know, If you don't mind Ian, can I PM you with them see what you think?? In my head a jawdropper, in realitiy, I hope so,,

HI All

For some genuine Yorkshire abuse come to ST Andrews this weekend, Charlie will be dishing it out in his usual fashion.

hes not happy as hes taken no money on a Friday so hes dos'nt look happy.

Regards Arran 

post-530-0-06672000-1470434341_thumb.jpg

Edited by arran
  • Like 1

Hello there,

I have just finished working on a Bachmann Peak and Class 40. Both with EM2 monsters contained within. The Peak took a little more work helped by the addition of extra speaker power. I will be filming the results on Hawkswood Junction (Our little demo layout) in the next few days and will post on Youtube in the usual fashion. The 40 and Peak have now yielded to sound instead of having to use the"piffling" fuel tank or space on top of the behemoth of a chassis!!! Sound installations will be done in a separate dedicated workshop from mid September allowing the room that houses Hawkswood to return to a Railway Room.

Steve, Merlin DCC.

Edited by Steve Brammer

Hello there,

I have just finished working on a Bachmann Peak and Class 40. Both with EM2 monsters contained within. The Peak took a little more work helped by the addition of extra speaker power. I will be filming the results on Hawkswood Junction (Our little demo layout) in the next few days and will post on Youtube in the usual fashion. The 40 and Peak have now yielded to sound instead of having to use the"piffling" fuel tank or space on top of the behemoth of a chassis!!! Sound installations will be done in a separate dedicated workshop from mid September allowing the room that houses Hawkswood to return to a Railway Room.

Steve, Merlin DCC.

Hi Steve,

Just how large is your EM2?   I'm wondering if it might be possible to fit in a Hornby Class 50 in place of the original fan assembly...... or is it typically a case of needing to remove metal from the chassis block to make sufficient room?  

Regards

Martin

HI All

For some genuine Yorkshire abuse come to ST Andrews this weekend, Charlie will be dishing it out in his usual fashion.

hes not happy as hes taken no money on a Friday so hes dos'nt look happy.

Regards Arran

It was nice to catch up with Charlie when the world tour hit Fife at the St Andrews show. Although Bif wasn't present, he had prepared a couple of superb 37/4's as a pair for fitting to my DRS locos 37602/05 at the show. I also ended up adding another 66 to the fleet. A big thanks to Bif for these they all sound superb.

And as for Yorkshire abuse I think that was given to Charlie when he turned down an offer of £200 for a sound fitted O gauge 31. Which I must add sounds excellent with the large earth mover speaker fitted.

All the best

Mark

UP4000, reblows can be ordered via the DC Kits website. The process is straightforward and I've written a simple procedure that covers it. If you send me a PM with your email address I'll send you a copy.

I would definitely consider doing a two-chip APT-E but I've got quite a lot of other sound projects on the go at the moment. A mental note has been made though.

Bif

EM dimensions as promised, all in mm;

EM1 56 x 25 x 10

EM2 66 x 30 x 15

EM3 89 x 37 x 22

EM4 136 x 55 x 32

Thanks for that Bif....... The EM2 will certainly be quite a challenge to accommodate!  I hope you are successful in your attempts to obtain a higher power rating EM1....which looks only a little larger than a standard 20x40 driver, bass reflex unit. 

But I guess, if the sound quality of the larger EM2 is as good as indicated, it might be worth considering the compromise of fitting an EM2 in the coach or wagon immediately adjacent to the loco. (e.g. I think it might just fit into a 1/76 scale hi cube shipping container.........on its side!)

Good luck with your on-going evaluations.

Regards

Martin

Thanks for that Bif....... The EM2 will certainly be quite a challenge to accommodate!  I hope you are successful in your attempts to obtain a higher power rating EM1....which looks only a little larger than a standard 20x40 driver, bass reflex unit. 

But I guess, if the sound quality of the larger EM2 is as good as indicated, it might be worth considering the compromise of fitting an EM2 in the coach or wagon immediately adjacent to the loco. (e.g. I think it might just fit into a 1/76 scale hi cube shipping container.........on its side!)

Good luck with your on-going evaluations.

Regards

Martin

The EM1 Should be use in conjunction with another speaker to up the rating to 2Watts +    Charlie

The EM1 Should be use in conjunction with another speaker to up the rating to 2Watts +    Charlie

Are you sure Charlie?  

Assuming your EM1 and the extra speaker are both 4 ohms and connected in series……   If you are running the max half watt into the EM1, you will also be running half a watt through the other speaker. So your composite 8 ohm load will be running at 1 Watt, not 2 Watts.

But that’s probably fine, as the LokSound V4 can only produce around 1.5 Watts into 8 ohms, so the only issue is that you are only producing that great earth moving bass sound out of one of your two speakers.

Now if there is room for 2 EM1 speakers in series……  problem solved :sungum: 

Cheers

Martin

From the ESU Loksound V4 manual.

'For LokSound V4.0 decoders you can use loudspeakers (also combinations) with a total impendance of 4 – 16 Ohms. We recommend to use the 4 Ohms impendance.'

They show two eight ohm speakers connected in parallel to give four ohms.  

I can vouch for these EM1 and EM2 speakers as my colleague has had them fitted in his Colas 37'. and they are awsome! My thanks to Charlie for the time he spent explaining them to me and getting me in touch with Steve who also spent some time explaining his set up to me.

Bill.

Edited by Dunmar

The world tour arrives at the 0 Gauge Guild show Telford, with our 'All New' Stand aimed a 7mm Modellers, its 12 feet long and has over twenty 7mm / 0 Gauge models on display, all with sound some fitted with our Earth Mover speakers and also the new range of Supersound Minature and Supersound standard speakers. These are aimed at the 0 Gauge market, the full team will be there and includes Legomanbiffo (Mr Big), Steve from Merlin DCC (Sound Fitting Guru) & Charlie 'DCKits' (Thinks he is the boss!)

BE IMPRESSED.  See you there.   Team Biffo!!