Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Some all time classic photo's of Pilmoor in the '60's. I really do like photo' J1062 of 40 D278. The first coach is, of course, a Hawksworth design BCK. The trains are just as I remember them from back in the mid to late '60's.

Please keep the photo's coming,

All the best,

Market65.

Wonderful, Dave.

I loved the 306s, mainly because I walked into one at Liverpool Street during the 1970s and the smell within the unit suddenly brought back specific memories of ex-LNER coaches on holiday specials to Skegness/Mablethorpe as a small boy during the 1950s.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Excellent photo's of the Great Eastern. The class 306's were one of the last remaining passenger stock of the former LNER (in design, at least) to be in use by BR (I know about the Gresley Buffet cars). I think that I recall reading - cannot remember which book, but it was by M. Harris - that LNER carriages had a distinct smell of old offices!

Interesting to see an HST on an excursion at a relatively early stage in their careers.

All the best,

Market65.

Edited by Market65

• RMweb Gold

Hi David

I like the GER photos. I do have a question, did you take a photo of the donkeys that use to (may still be) in the field next to Church Lane Crossing?

I don't think so, unless they appear in the background of something.  I have checked the "non-railway" photos and they are not in those.

Sorry,

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Tonight's photo's of the West Highland line are wonderful. It is a line which I've always found so fascinating and the way in which the line traverses the mountainous land. I particularly like C6890 of the Horseshoe Curve and the way the railway cuts it's way through the lower slopes of the mountain.

All the best,

Market65.

A few photos from the West HIghland line tonight between Bridge of Orchy and Rannoch.

My apologies for the quality and colour balance, for whatever reason these slides had deteriorated - they were taken on either Supasnaps slide film or Boots which was all I could buy locally at the time.

They were taken on an excursion to Fort William and back from the north east.  As you will see the weather was superb and very warm.   I think the train was 11 coaches.

attachicon.gifd Bridge of Orchy view north west 11th May 85 C6859.jpg

Bridge of Orchy view north west 11th May 85 C6859

We had to wait here for some time to pass a southbound service train so there was time to get off and have a walk around.  The driver hooted when he wanted us back on the train.

attachicon.gifc Horseshoe Curve 37259 and 37121 Fort William to Newcastle 11th May 85 C6890.jpg

Horseshoe Curve 37259 and 37121 Fort William to Newcastle 11th May 85 C6890

attachicon.gife Gorton looking north 11th May 85 C6888.jpg

Gorton looking north 11th May 85 C6888

attachicon.giff Rannoch 37259 and 37121 heading north 11th May 85 C6861.jpg

Rannoch 37259 and 37121 heading north 11th May 85 C6861

attachicon.giff Rannoch view north 11th May 85 C6862.jpg

Rannoch view north 11th May 85 C6862

David

This wasn't the 'Whitley Bay Horticultural Society' excursion, was it, David? In which case, we were on board as well, as was Ernie Brack. If I recall correctly, we had to wait somewhere on the way back after leaving Fort Bill, as someone had left their keys on the Mallaig train.

• RMweb Gold

This wasn't the 'Whitley Bay Horticultural Society' excursion, was it, David? In which case, we were on board as well, as was Ernie Brack. If I recall correctly, we had to wait somewhere on the way back after leaving Fort Bill, as someone had left their keys on the Mallaig train.

It was indeed the WBHS train, I was hanging out of the next window to Ernie - or sharing his window at times!  We were still part of the Blyth 61172 Association building and exhibiting layouts then.

David

• Like 1

I don't think that's me hanging out of the window Dave; don't recognise the shirt! This is my album of the trip, glorious weather for a change, I seem to remember we hung around at Crianlarich on the way back but I thought it was to cross a northbound.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/sets/72157626979655495/

Ernie Brack

• Like 1

I don't think that's me hanging out of the window Dave; don't recognise the shirt! This is my album of the trip, glorious weather for a change, I seem to remember we hung around at Crianlarich on the way back but I thought it was to cross a northbound.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/sets/72157626979655495/

Ernie Brack

This was a bit closer to Fort Bill; Spean Bridge, I think. The person who had been delayed was something to do with the steam loco that hauled the Mallaig bit of the excursion.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Excellent photo's. I like those of the Romney Hythe and Dymchurch Railway. Good to see the varied loco's in the photo's. Now, in photo' C4707, at Aberystwyth, on the 7th, August, 1979, it shows a class 101 DMU, and also a CCT. I wonder if the CCT would be hauled by the unit as a tail load? Also the 101 has a revised silencer, which  I had always thought was only fitted to those DMU's which had been refurbished. Photo' J1889, at Ynyslas, in August, 1969, shows one of those hybrid DMU's - a class 103 DTCL and a class 101 DMBS.

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Gold

Great pics as always Dave, brings back happy memories form my childhood, every year we stayed in Dyffryn Ardudwy right next to the station. My mum and dad had the timetable an took me to watch all the trains coming and going.

I had lots of photos from early eighties including the double headed 37's later on but unfortunately I got rid of the lot about 10 years ago :(

Keep the pics coming, Paul

Edited by PjKing1

• RMweb Premium

No reason for the CCT not to be a tail-load, subject to loading and the route taken. Especially important for a unit that only has one powered car, any restrictions would be covered in the Sectional Appendix for the area.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Excellent photo's. I like those of the Romney Hythe and Dymchurch Railway. Good to see the varied loco's in the photo's. Now, in photo' C4707, at Aberystwyth, on the 7th, August, 1979, it shows a class 101 DMU, and also a CCT. I wonder if the CCT would be hauled by the unit as a tail load? Also the 101 has a revised silencer, which  I had always thought was only fitted to those DMU's which had been refurbished. Photo' J1889, at Ynyslas, in August, 1969, shows one of those hybrid DMU's - a class 103 DTCL and a class 101 DMBS.

All the best,

Market65.

No reason for the CCT not to be a tail-load, subject to loading and the route taken. Especially important for a unit that only has one powered car, any restrictions would be covered in the Sectional Appendix for the area.

I've just had a look at the other photos I took that day - the one before is at Roman Bridge, the ones after it are a trip on the Vale of Rheidol.

My notes from the day don't help either, so I can't answer the question.

Sorry (again)

Edit:  I've had a look at the London Midland Region, Southern Section Sectional Appendix from April 1980 which does not, as far as I can see, give any prohibition on dmus having a tail load to/from Aberystwyth.

David 

Edited by DaveF

Hi, Dave. Thank you for looking into the question of DMU tail loads to and from Aberystwyth up. I find it an interesting operational area which I've rarely, if ever, seen modelled.

All the best,

Market65.

One of my earliest personal railway memories was travelling on a class 101 DMU from Bishop Auckland - Darlington around 1975 when a van CCT? was towed behind - I was only just starting off with railways at the time aged about 10 so can't report exactly what it was. I agree it is rarely modelled but was something that did happen in certain areas but always seemed quite rare as there seem to be relatively few photos of such.