Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

C2477 The dmu looks to be a Gloucester 100 DTC and a Cravens 105 DBS. This seems to be a combination that occured regularly.

Does anyone know where when 'The Mobile Museum N699' set was formed? Could it have been an ex-eastern region pairing?

Colchester St B's looks typically bleak. Looking back, lots of stations used to look like that, thankfully most have now been sorted out.

Andy G

Andy,

Many thanks, I've added the information to the caption.

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Slightly OT this. I always thought Essex was a bit brash due to the sterotype Essex person, but I'd hardly ever been there. Then last year the third stage of The Grand Depart showed me just how beautiful a County it really is. Lovely countryside, well at least it was where the Tour passed through. 

I think I visited Ilford Depot once on a 'Shed Bash' by coach.

Phil

As someone born and raised in Essex from an Essex family I would agree that the stereotypical image of the county gives completely the wrong impression. Much of it is rolling countryside and though not as dramatic as for instance Dorset where I now live it really does have a unique charm.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Love the photo's of the GEML that you've posted tonight. I particularly like the photo' C6047 of the 31 and the way the railway it is running on cuts through some lovely green countryside.

Please keep the photo's coming,

All the best,

Market65

• RMweb Gold

Is there some sort of wagon against the end loading platform at St Botolphs? What was loaded here?

Yes and I don't know, but as it's a flat wagon probably not elephants as they might fall off when the train moves.

David

As someone born and raised in Essex from an Essex family I would agree that the stereotypical image of the county gives completely the wrong impression. Much of it is rolling countryside and though not as dramatic as for instance Dorset where I now live it really does have a unique charm.

Depends which part/s of Dorset though........

• RMweb Premium

Is there some sort of wagon against the end loading platform at St Botolphs? What was loaded here?

Hi Richard

Could the wagon be a Warflat? The garrison is only a few yards away from St Botolphs (or Colchester Town as it is now called).

I was stationed in Colchester in the late 70s, and cannot recall any of our new vehicles being off loaded there. We use to go to the yard at North Station when new kit came in by rail.

• RMweb Premium

Ah, Porland prison......just about the best

South Dorset, fantastic coastline. I live 5 minutes from the sea in any direction. In other words Portland.

Not that rather large, secure building I hope................ :stinker: Pity the branch is long gone.

P

• RMweb Premium

Lovely pics of an early Bluebell there Dave. Have you been back recently? If not, do try to. The amount of upgrade work done for visitors is excellent and I am so sorry to have moved away from the area before the reinstatement to East Grinstead. The latter has provided the Bluebell with a whole new feeling of being a complete Branch Line.

post-2326-0-36662300-1426427389_thumb.jpg

post-2326-0-58352900-1426427406_thumb.jpg

A couple of years ago.

Phil

• Like 15

When our club had a day out at the Bluebell in the seventies we saw the Adams tank our resident southern man said were are the coal rails the answer was your standing on them ! We were at the back of the loco shed and standing in the long grass they had not got round to fitting them.

Enjoy working out exactly where the Kilvington photo was taken.

attachicon.gifHathern Class 45 81 up ex pass Aug 72 C1046.jpg

Hathern Class 45 81 up ex pass Aug 72 C1046  The buildings on the right are the old station buildings.

attachicon.gifKilvington standard and narrow gauge Oct 75 C2493.jpg

Kilvington standard and narrow gauge Oct 75 C2493

On the Bottesford west junction - Newark line. An opencast Gypsum quarry.

• RMweb Gold

On the Bottesford west junction - Newark line. An opencast Gypsum quarry.

I'm glad someone knows where it is besides me!  I've shown this image to lots of people, none of them had a clue!

Mum and Dad lived near there at one time so I knew it quite well, but only took a couple of photos of it.

David

• RMweb Gold

Looking at the top of the rails. it looks like this line was not used very often, But by the look of how clean the ballast is, was the line reopened? (C2855)

Again a great set of photos

I think some of it had recently been relaid.

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Excellent photo's of the Bluebell Railway. I especially like seeing the Adams Radial tank engine. In the second batch of photo's, C2493, of Kilvington Gypsum quarry, and C2932, of Newstead Colliery, are particularly interesting, and, I think, very modellable places.

Please keep the photo's coming.

All the best,

Market65.

I'm glad someone knows where it is besides me!  I've shown this image to lots of people, none of them had a clue!

Mum and Dad lived near there at one time so I knew it quite well, but only took a couple of photos of it.

David

The loads looked like what i was expecting for this site so i had a look at an old map and the name popped up. Super picture. Full of inspiration..

David

I'd heard of it, without knowing where it was though.

Interesting photo, the standard gauge shunter is ex BR Class 02 D2865, arrived from BR at Goole in 1970.

Two different styles of narrow gauge shunter on the left, the yellow one is a 104hp Motor Rail loco, delivered new in 1974, and the white one on the right is one of a pair of Ruston & Hornsby "100DL" locos built in 1949, they worked there from 1952/1959 until the place closed in March 1984.

On closure D2865 moved to Beeston Cement Terminal, wasn't used there and would be scrapped by Vic Berry in 1985, the Motor Rail would pass to the Shane's Castle Railway via Alan Keef, one of the Ruston locos was scrapped, the other one ended up with the Irchester NGRT, no idea if it still exists though.

Fascinating photo, thanks for posting (same applies to the whole thread BTW!)

(And...)

Newstead Colliery, the shunter's an 0-4-0DH with a trusty 203hp Gardner under the bonnet (HE5623/1960)

Cheers,

Andy.

• Like 1

I used to take a lot of photos on the Nottingham to Grantham line, as did Dad, he lived near the line for many years.

Tonight we have some photos from Bottesford and Elton and Orston stations. 

attachicon.gife Elton and Orston Class 114 Nottingham to Grantham July 69 J1788.jpg

Elton and Orston Class 114 Nottingham to Grantham July 69 J1788

David

Super pictures. That is one lonely looking telephone cupboard. Was there a signal nearby?