Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

Same here. Well a couple of years in my case but I never forget a pub. :smile_mini:

It's definitely the GPO building which, apart from the delivery office on the ground floor, is now pretty much disused. I think most of the sorting of mail now goes on at the Team Valley place.

And if it's good pubs behind the Central Station you're after, get yourself to 'The Split Chimp' in one of the rail arches along Forth Street. It's a 'micro pub' that serves a great selection of craft beers which you can enjoy whilst listening to Pacers and coal trains thumping and banging past above your head!

Arp

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. A great set of photo's of Bax Crossing and Graveney. Good to see the EMU's going about their everyday work. Regarding the class 414 I'm sure that the first class doors would be given 1's as usual practice on BR (S).

All the best,

Market65.

C3646 is a class 411 (4-CEP).

Headcode 50 was Ramsgate-Victoria, 41 I can't remember... looking it up, Vic-Catford-Meopham-Margate (and 40 was Vic-Herne-Hill-Meopham-Margate), so the service could have been the stopper between Victoria-Faversham, as the SR sometimes used slightly longer route headcodes when there wasn't a specific one for the terminating station out of London.

And the 1s on the first class slam doors was normal.

Edited by eastwestdivide

• RMweb Gold

Wonderful photos DaveF, especially those of the EMU's. You can guess why I'm very grateful to you. 

attachicon.gifBRM 9A.jpg

More please.

Thank you. John Wass.

John,

Southern photos will keep on appearing from time to time, I've just been looking through a batch to use at some future date.

David 

• RMweb Gold

I asked because the rear unit appears to have the yellow stripe but no '1's

I've just looked at some more of my photos (mainly ones) not yet on here.  There is one which looks as though it may not have "1" on the relevant doors.  

But I've also noticed that when the 1st class part of the coach is further away in the photo the "1" doesn't show up well, so they may be there but not visible on the scan.

David

• RMweb Premium

No idea where I got this from but I always thought the 1 was put on doors where you had no through access to 2nd/standard class.

Hi Auld_boot

On a BR 2 HAP you could not go through the toilets from 1st to 2nd class.

The 1 was on all doors of coaches where there was a direct entry into the first class area of the train. Only low density DMUs did not carry a 1 on their doors which gave access to the first class bays as it was also the vestibule for the second class as well.

Edited by Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave.  What fascinating photo's of Blyth Bates colliery. A wealth of detail can be seen in the photo's, and I find C5931 of the coal loader with west staithes on the right particularly interesting. Also, in photo' C6693, it is great to see ex-BR D3088 as NCB 2100526 - it would make a lovely model.

All the best,

Market65.

Great pics and memories. My dad worked at Bates and retired around the time of your pics. The disused sidings at Isabella provided a convenient short cut to the Isabella pub. At least rhe pub still stands, virtually everything else has been swept away!

Thanks once again for sharing.

Hi Dave,

Lovely photo's of the Isabella Branch to Bates. I've many fond memories of playing around this line as I used to live in Carlton Avenue which had an underground entrance to Newsham station when it was open. The old ceramic wall tiles could still be seen when I was young behind the fence after it had been filled in. I could see the signal for trains coming up from Bates from my bedroom window so it was a useful indicator of a class 37 or 56 arriving.

My best memory was getting in to the cab of a class 37 waiting to come off the Isabella line whilst it was waiting next to the old Station Masters house at Newsham. I was visiting the last Station Master for Blyth & Newsham Jack Sinclair who lived there. He knew the driver and arranged for me to ride in the cab of the 37 up to South Newsham Box where we ran round the train of empty hoppers, I was then duly dropped off by the Station House as the 37 headed North to Ashington and I was left to cross the line to the Station House. Health & Safety ????? who cares it was certainly happy days as I had a grin on my face as wide as the Tyne as I ran to the newsagents to do my paper round despite being late.

Regards

Chris

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Really like the photo's of Steamtown. A great series of photo's from near Edinburgh. In C8035, of 27041 on 11th, October, 1986, there is in fact a class 101 DMSL, it is just possible to make out the exhaust pipes and engine details on enlarging the photo'. In C7923, 37185 with a train of dolofines on 21st, August, 1986, I like the portrait of the 37.

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. A great set of photo's of the WCML. Interesting to see that all of the class 86 loco's have white cab roofs, and the train in that last photo' certainly has a surfeit of first class accommodation at the London end of the train.

All the best,

Market65.