Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Premium

Wasn't 'toffee Apple' the description of the controller on these red circle A1A's? I'm not sure the other red circles had the same controllers. Certainly the Co-bos don't. Now heres a question does the NRM's class leader 30 still have red circle mu control? If so will we one day see a 15/28/30 multi combo?

Andy G

J4487 is the 08:30 KX-Cleethorpes (it is missing a fourth TSO at the front of the formation).

C2199 does not match the formation of the up Newcastle Executive. It does match the 08:30 Newcastle-KX.

C3388 is either the 08:30SX or 09:20SO Newcastle-KX.

Hi David and all

We discussed the use of red tail lights this week at my model railway club. An ex ER signalman informed us they were quite common used in areas where there were EMUs as tail lamps were not used on the EMUs. The signalmen were looking for a red light not a tail lamp.

Which is something that didn't percolate south of the river when the Brighton Belle units were refurbished and fitted with roller blinds and were permitted to run with the red panels in lieu of the until-then customary red lamp at the rear. Notwithstanding that they had been allowing the new-fangled Cig/Big stock to pass without incident for the previous several years with red blinds showing, the first time that the refurbished 'Belle' passed a box (Balham IIRC) showing similar, the bobby proceeded to send 9 bells 'train passed without tail lamp' to the next box down...

Edited by talisman56
  • Like 1

J22.

First van behind the loco is a Gresley pigeon van, more than likely to be offloaded at Chesterfield in order to shat on those of us on the wall.

A neighbour was a pigeon fancier. He used to tell me his pigeons were very intelligent. I never believed him... until now.

:mosking:

P

• RMweb Premium

Wasn't 'toffee Apple' the description of the controller on these red circle A1A's? I'm not sure the other red circles had the same controllers. Certainly the Co-bos don't. Now heres a question does the NRM's class leader 30 still have red circle mu control? If so will we one day see a 15/28/30 multi combo?

Andy G

Hi Andy

Class 15s (BTHs or D82xx to us old uns) were blue star. The D84xx were red circle.

• RMweb Premium

J22.

First van behind the loco is a Gresley pigeon van, more than likely to be offloaded at Chesterfield in order to shat on those of us on the wall.

Mike.

What makes you think it's a pigeon van?  It appears to be a Diagram 198 steel panelled Corridor Full Brake; as such (with Pullman gangways and buckeye couplings) interchangeable with a BR Mk1 BG.

The Gresley full brakes were used as pigeon vans also, but now that the train seems not to be going as far as Sheffield my theory may be a little suspect, although if it got to Nottingham before 4E55 left it could have tagged on to that.

Mike.

There were 3 diagrams of steel panelled BG (ref Steve Banks article - Dec Model Rail 2005) - 198, 245 & 260, the latter two diagrams also covered wood versions just to confuse things! 245 was the pigeon van version, so in theory the van in the photo could be one.

• RMweb Gold

Andy G

Yes the NRMs 31 still has its red circle 'toffee apple' controller. D5518 (31101) was also originally a toffee apple but was rebuilt as blue star after an accident.

The first NBL type 2s D61xx were also red circle

• RMweb Premium

The Gresley full brakes were used as pigeon vans also, but now that the train seems not to be going as far as Sheffield my theory may be a little suspect, although if it got to Nottingham before 4E55 left it could have tagged on to that.

Mike.

There were 3 diagrams of steel panelled BG (ref Steve Banks article - Dec Model Rail 2005) - 198, 245 & 260, the latter two diagrams also covered wood versions just to confuse things! 245 was the pigeon van version, so in theory the van in the photo could be one.

Well I read about LNER BGs in 'Historic Carriage Drawings' (Jenkinson & Campling) and 'LNER Carriages' (Michael Harris) before I made that comment, from which I understood that the only BGs built specifically with fittings for pigeon traffic were (as Mark says) to Diagram 245, but both also seemed to say that these were teak panelled vans which is why I thought the one in the picture wasn't.  I do have a copy of Steve Banks' article filed away but didn't look at it; appreciate it was written more recently than the other two sources and is more comprehensive in some respects, so I wouldn't want to suggest he is wrong!

I do remember seeing pigeons being released on the platform at Cambridge in the late '60's / early '70's, but couldn't tell you now what sort of vehicle they were unloaded from!  I imagine standard BGs could also have been used, if there were small numbers of pigeon crates involved? Likewise the 'pigeon van' BGs could also have been used in ordinary parcels traffic when not needed for their special purpose (I think the fittings were folding shelves)?

Great photo's, great thread.  I have followed every page, what a time machine!

Regarding the Deltic shot (C2199) would it not still have a head code in 1975 as opposed to dominos ?

...the earliest deltic with domino dot headcodes was I think No 9 in 1973....I have a link to a picture somewhere. Yes headcodes were in use until 1975/76....but....

Dave

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71

• RMweb Gold

Great photo's, great thread.  I have followed every page, what a time machine!

Regarding the Deltic shot (C2199) would it not still have a head code in 1975 as opposed to dominos ?

I've just checked the date in my slide catalogue, it really was taken in July 1975.

David