Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Brain for the reminder - yes, it was Whitworth's that produced Weetabix; I lived in Wellingborough a long time ago and can vaguely remember the LNW station, its level crossing and the mill - I was very young at the time, though!

• Like 1

I've upgraded our computers to Windows 10 with few issues. There were a few driver issues in the early days, particularly as I have to transfer files from PC to Mac and use a certain amount of media software for work but no real problems.

I've done 3 PCs and a laptop.

Ditto, I've upgraded a couple of desktops with only one major problem - and that is an HP one, in that they have (in their wisdom) decided not to provide a Windows 10 driver for their HP 710C printer (which my mother has). Yet, ironically, they still support my old backup, near 20-year old, HP Deskjet 640C!

Other than that it's just been a case of switching off a lot of the unwanted bells and whistles and unnecessary junk that comes with 10 and not using the insecure Edge browser that they're trying to foist on us.

Yes that's one of Whitworths mills in the area but Weetabix has always been a separate company now owned by the Chinese sadly ,used to go to the mills regularily in the seventies very interesting places to visit.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Whitworths did dried fruit (?) and grain I believe. Weetabix factory was north of Wellingborough at Burton Latimer I think it is called; well it was in 1975 - 1979!

That Station Building was gone by '75 I think but my memory is  Hazy. There was the remains of the link from the Midland Road Station south Yard down to Whitworths. I remember seeing Grain Hoppers there and buying a load of Wrenn ones for a proposed layout based on the Station (never happened of course). I still have the Hoppers!

Phil

• Like 2

Whitworths was rail served until about 1980, latterly as a long siding from Wellingborough Midland Station which had previously been the link between the two stations. The mills processed all manner of cereals, although they famously supplied the milled wheat and oats for Weetabix, they weren't the same company. Whitworths also had mills adjacent to Peterborough East station on the other end of this line.

Old Maps UK has all the answers - the 1968 - 1974 1:2500 map shows the sidings serving Victoria Mills, which would explain the wagons in the background of the photograph.

If at first nothing but blue appears, you may need to zoom out a couple of notches to get the map to load... mouse wheel is your friend :)

Also turning off the printable area will get rid of the blue overlay.

Edited by Dr Gerbil-Fritters

• RMweb Gold

Talisman,

The 40 has a rake of about 14 ballast wagons behind it which it later drew forward ready to leave.  I think we've had the photo before.

attachicon.gifw Penmaenmawr 40158 awaitng departure July 82 C5710.jpg

Penmaenmawr 40158 awaitng departure July 82 C5710

David

A good example of a Haymarket modified class 40. Multiple working equipment and inner sandboxes removed, screens fitted behind secondman and drivers seats to reduce draughts.

• RMweb Gold

Does anyone know what the purpose of those wagon-height stone walls at Penmaenmawr was? Did they carry narrow-gauge tracks to carry crushed stone to waiting wagons before the screens in the background were installed?

Yes exactly that, you can see the arrangement on old-maps.co.uk.

https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/271500/376500/12/100954

In the early 60s the company I worked for did a lot of there annual maintained both at the Wellingborough mill and irthlingborough dried fruit place, I remember the crossing and the foot bridge being there.

Mike

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

There was also a quarry nearby served by a branch according to the 1" OS map.

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/sidebyside.cfm#zoom=15&lat=52.2857&lon=-0.6727&layers=11&right=BingHyb

Not sure if it is the Irthlingborough Quarry referred to on this page. Used narrow gauge electric locos? Can anyone advise?

Edit: Top add extra info about quarry.

Edited by highpeakman

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/sidebyside.cfm#zoom=15&lat=52.2857&lon=-0.6727&layers=11&right=BingHyb

Not sure if it is the Irthlingborough Quarry referred to on this page. Used narrow gauge electric locos? Can anyone advise?

Irthlingborough quarry was mostly an underground drift mine and yes it did use overhead electric traction. Tonks edition on the Wellingborough area has all the details.

• RMweb Gold

Actually I should have said Irchester quarry (not Irthlingborough). So it's not the place I was thinking of above. Getting it wrong all round today!

Back to the original point though, there is a branch shown in the link above from Wellingborough Station (opposite side to the mill) to Irchester(?) quarry

Back to Dave's thread.

Edited by highpeakman

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Excellent photo's. In C2572, of 86202, the locomotive has its headcode box set to the four zeros. I thought that came in from May, 1976. Perhaps I am wrong.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Excellent photo's. In C2572, of 86202, the locomotive has its headcode box set to the four zeros. I thought that came in from May, 1976. Perhaps I am wrong.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Rob,

The exact date varied but officially I think it was 1st Jan 76.

If you search  in this thread for "headcode" you will find a number of dates for specific lines when headcodes were or were not still to be sen.

David

• RMweb Premium

The disused stations web site states closed to passengers 1964, goods 1st February 1965 and closed completely 7th November 1966.

I have checked the date of the photo and it is correct.

David

Those are definitely Grain hoppers. Is it possible that a line remained under a Private Siding Agreement? This might remain open, even though the goods yard was shown as having been closed, as its closure would not require a Statutory Notice of Closure to be posted, merely the termination of the PSA. This would not be so noticeable as the SNC, which requires publication in the local press, as well as the fixing of posters at relevant locations such as stations and goods yard entrances.

The siding was for the Whitworth's (Weetabix?) mill.

Hi David and Brian

The Foster and Instone LNWR track diagram book shows some of the sidings were still in use in 1970, worked from the MR line. The LNWR station and goods station closure dates are correct.

As for the Weetabix factory, it backed on the the MR main line, as small kids we were going to Leicester and as we passed Wellingborough there was a train of ironstone wagons in a siding in front of the Weetabix factory. My dad told us that what was in the wagons was what they made Weetabix from. My brother would not eat Weetabix for months afterwards.

Whitworths was rail served until about 1980, latterly as a long siding from Wellingborough Midland Station which had previously been the link between the two stations. The mills processed all manner of cereals, although they famously supplied the milled wheat and oats for Weetabix, they weren't the same company. Whitworths also had mills adjacent to Peterborough East station on the other end of this line.

Wellingborough marshalling yard usually had a good quota of grain covhops in the late 1970s, http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brgrainrivetcgorivet/e1cc68369  http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brgraincgo/e141fb379   http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/lnergrain/e3d7309af

Paul

• RMweb Gold

Second attempt - the post above just vanished.

No, it didn't vanish it just came back again, so this is really just an empty post, so you can all ignore it.

Sorry.

David

Edited by DaveF

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Lovely Foxfield Railway photos. Interesting to see those shunting signals.

Great photos of the Great Eastern. Always good to see the EMU's going about their hard work. You really have captured that aspect of the railway so well.

I hope the post coming and going is not related to that Windows10 upgrade.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Lovely Foxfield Railway photos. Interesting to see those shunting signals.

Great photos of the Great Eastern. Always good to see the EMU's going about their hard work. You really have captured that aspect of the railway so well.

I hope the post coming and going is not related to that Windows10 upgrade.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

No, I was using the PC which is still Windows 7.  I think RMWeb was just having an off day.

David

I'm posting today's photos rather later than usual today as I have spent the afternoon at the beach.  This weekend is the local Coastal Battery preservation group's open weekend so I've been looking at old army vehicles and weapons as well as seeing many re-enactors dressed as British, American, Russian and German forces personnel as well as a few in suitable civilian dress.  Perhaps fortunately I walked there as the car parks were very full - partly because it's a popular event and  partly because  parking in all of Northumberland is free with a very few exceptions.

I think parking could become very "interesting" when the Tall Ships visit here at the end of August - I received the map for local traffic and parking arrangements today.  

The Windows 10 upgrade on the laptop seems to have worked.

Now for the photos, today from Lichfield and Tring in early 1976.  In both cases the original slides had suffered over the years.

attachicon.gifh Lichfield 86202 up ex pass Jan 76 C2572.jpg

Lichfield 86202 up ex pass Jan 76 C2572

Edited to add an imoportant missing word.

David

I don't think that is 86202 as it doesn't appear to have flexicoil suspension