Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Some lovely photos of the narrow gauge railway at Woodhorn Museum. A nice little train to be seen there.

The photos at Morpeth are as interesting as ever, and the first one has a class 101 DTSL leading a class 105 DMBS.

Good views of trains being diverted after the accident that would not have otherwise been possible.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

The Brush type 2 at Burgh le Marsh is on 7J14 which is supposed to be 0945 TWThO Immingham (Fisons Sidings) to Whitemoor, although on that day the train appears to be mostly composed of empty 'plate' wagons. I'm not sure what Fisons would have needed conveying on those.

However, I doubt there are few photographs of that train in existence; so it is a very rare item.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Sorry to go back to yesterday, but something I meant to mention. In J1205, the class 40 has 3 headcode dics open for a class 1 express passenger train. I am wondering how the train got as far as it did without getting stopped for displaying an incorrect headcode.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Never seen that Inspection Saloon before. Excellent thanks.

Phil

I'ts not an Inspection Saloon. It was the York based N.E. region route learner. In Daves pic you can see in the nearest end, how it had rows of wooden benches arranged theater style to maximize the amount of footplate staff you could fit in. Both ends were fitted out like this to save turning. Usually propelled when working and far more efficient than packing a footplate with a few more crew and an inspector.

It was a regular at Scarborough for LM men to learn the route for the excursion traffic and often seen around the mineral lines and colliery branches of Co. Durham. I think it was painted maroon originally then painted into olive in the 1960's. Funny how it's weathered to a mucky brown.

Here's a few crews learning the Southern route to Consett.

post-508-0-50205200-1465136743.jpg

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Great Central photos, especially that one of the N2. Wonderful that one was preserved.

The Midland line photos are good. The flooding of places is certainly not a new problem, but something that is probably highlighted more by the Media today. I particularly like the side view of the class 120 unit.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Now for some photos taken on the Midland line between Nottingham and Loughborough around Kegworth.

They were taken in late February 1977 which was a very very wet week.  All the water in the photos is normally dry land.  There was no light at all so the photos were taken at around 1/60 at f1.8 using a 50mm Pentax lens, the camera was a Pentax Spotmatic. The film was probably Fujichrome.

As the week went on more areas were flooded, by the end of the week I couldn't get to the location as all the roads had flooded.

attachicon.gifKegworth Class 47 down ecs 21st Feb 77 C3216.jpg

Kegworth Class 47 down ecs 21st Feb 77 C3216

David

The train in photo C3216, Kegworth Class 47 down ecs 21st Feb 77, doesn't look to be ECS. Two coaches with a brake van on the rear would suggest a trip working of some sorts, with the coaches heading off for works, possibly with defective brakes, hence the brake van. Wasn't unusual for defective coaching stock to be tagged onto freight trip workings if they had been put off somewhere as defective. Worked a couple of trains with defective coaches in like that portrayed.

Paul J.

Edited to correct silly spelling mistake.

Edited by Swindon 123
  • Like 1

The train in photo C3216, Kegworth Class 47 down ecs 21st Feb 77, doesn't look to be ECS. Two coaches with a brake van on the rear would suggest a trip working of some sorts, with the coaches heading off for works, possibly with defective brakes, hence the brake van. Wasn't unusual for defective coaching stock to be tagged onto freight trip workings if they had been put off somewhere as defective. Worked a couple of trains with defective coaches in like that portrayed.

Paul J.

Edited to correct silly spelling mistake.

The rear coach appears to be a late a/c Mk2 so maybe even a VB only Mk1 & AB only Mk2 requiring a brake van due to complete brake incompatibility perhaps ??

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. A fascinating selection of ECML photo's. In the last one, that class 101 DMBS has a vent missing above the front saloon, on that very cold and frosty day in December 1984.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Lovely shots, as always, Dave. Was it unusual to see a 27 that far south on the ECML?

I don't have many photos but not that uncommon when a train needed to run and nothing else was available.  I think this may have been a light engine returning from taking a failed Scotrail 47 south.

David

• RMweb Gold

I found the Staythorpe picture very interesting. Have often passed by the site of these on the train in recent years and had wondered what the sidings looked like when it was a coal fired power station before the current gas unit was built.

I assume there were other sidings for the incoming coal as well? Were they adjacent?

• RMweb Gold

I found the Staythorpe picture very interesting. Have often passed by the site of these on the train in recent years and had wondered what the sidings looked like when it was a coal fired power station before the current gas unit was built.

I assume there were other sidings for the incoming coal as well? Were they adjacent?

I have to admit that I cannot remember, but I think so.  This is the only photo I have of Staythorpe at the power statio and it's one Dad took.  I've no idea why I never took any

David

• RMweb Premium

I'ts not an Inspection Saloon. It was the York based N.E. region route learner. In Daves pic you can see in the nearest end, how it had rows of wooden benches arranged theater style to maximize the amount of footplate staff you could fit in. Both ends were fitted out like this to save turning. Usually propelled when working and far more efficient than packing a footplate with a few more crew and an inspector.

It was a regular at Scarborough for LM men to learn the route for the excursion traffic and often seen around the mineral lines and colliery branches of Co. Durham. I think it was painted maroon originally then painted into olive in the 1960's. Funny how it's weathered to a mucky brown.

Here's a few crews learning the Southern route to Consett.

attachicon.gifRlBB.jpg

P

Hi Porcy

I saw David's photo a few moments ago and was going to say the same thing. A photo of it appeared in Backtrack some time ago, in its maroon livery being propelled by a Fairburn class 4 tank. The Backtrack photo gave me the inspiration to build something similar for Hanging Hill, from a shortie Hornby Gresley coach.

• RMweb Gold

I have to admit that I cannot remember, but I think so.  This is the only photo I have of Staythorpe at the power statio and it's one Dad took.  I've no idea why I never took any

David

Just to say Thanks for responding.

I should also make it clear that I found all the other photos interesting as well but this one caught my attention slightly more than usual. Please keep them coming as I look forward to seeing the new pictures every day.

Thanks again for your time in doing this.