RMweb

Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

I've just had a look through both Dad's and my photos taken in the autumn of 1970.

This one is the first blue Class 31 with central arrows that we photographed - we had gone out together that day as I was visiting home that weekend.

Before then all the blue ones had arrows at each end, though a few green ones had central arrows replacing the crest.

It was a long time before either of us photographed another one with central arrows which was 5675 in December 1971, on the High Dyke branch (but there were very few Class 31s photograped during that twelve month period).

Unfortunately I don't seem to have noted the first one that I saw with a centre double-arrow - unusual, because normally my notes would highlight a detailing difference like that. Either that or it got lost in transferring my notes from notebooks to spreadsheets.

Late 1971 sounds about the right time, from memory. Paul raises an interesting point, which I hadn't twigged, that 5675 appears with numbers in their previous position but with a central double-arrow. Unless my eyes are playing tricks on me, it looks from your picture as though there is a slightly darker patch on the leading cabside, where the cabside double-arrows used to be.

I wonder if this loco was Doncaster's first attempt at saving money by only applying a pair of arrows per loco and that they later decided to reposition the numbers as well?

• RMweb Gold

Unfortunately I don't seem to have noted the first one that I saw with a centre double-arrow - unusual, because normally my notes would highlight a detailing difference like that. Either that or it got lost in transferring my notes from notebooks to spreadsheets.

Late 1971 sounds about the right time, from memory. Paul raises an interesting point, which I hadn't twigged, that 5675 appears with numbers in their previous position but with a central double-arrow. Unless my eyes are playing tricks on me, it looks from your picture as though there is a slightly darker patch on the leading cabside, where the cabside double-arrows used to be.

I wonder if this loco was Doncaster's first attempt at saving money by only applying a pair of arrows per loco and that they later decided to reposition the numbers as well?

I've had a look at both photos I have of the train. On both the original scans (which like many old slides have a magenta cast) the second loco appears to have a darker patch on the leading cabside where the double arrow would have been.

It is slightly more noticeable after correcting the colours.

As both photos show it I think it is unlikely to be an artefact, so there probably really is a darker patch,

David

• RMweb Premium

C7424 - while i'm not sure about '80s formations, the presence of an RMB would usually indicate an Aberdeen (or possibly Inverness) train.

Dundee trains were usually only 4 coaches of mk1/mk2/mk2a, usually 3 seconds and a brake second.

That said, an unstaffed RMB could be a short-notice replacement for a faulty TSO.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the photos of Edinburgh and Haymarket. I think one of the things about the former Scottish loco hauled trains was the shortness of them - about four carriages. The last photo is good for getting stock weathered on models.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

C6570: The ECML was blocked by the derailment in the early hours of Sunday 24th June of 1E48 1950 (Sat) Aberdeen-Kings X on the Morpeth Curve.

Thanks once again Dave for the time and effort you put in to posting your photos.

Great Blyth & Tyne pics!  

Bedlington viaduct looks fantastic and still, of course, in use today. I was held up at Bebside crossing this afternoon, a Freightliner 66 heading south with a loaded coal train.

Thanks for sharing.

C5325, the 'Neptune' track recording vehicle; there always seemed to be one in the South Downside bay at Doncaster when I were spotting there as a lad.

Apologies for off topic request, but does anyone know of any drawings to aid building one?

Rather than clutter up David's wonderful thread, would you be kind to PM me with any details?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Blyth and Tyne photos. The first one shows the HST looking so good in the livery which was designed for it. All the liveries that have followed have not had quite the same impact or appeal.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

That crane runner looks interesting. From the springs it looks as though it is an ex-passenger rated vehicle, does anyone know what it was previously please?

Andy G

That crane runner looks interesting. From the springs it looks as though it is an ex-passenger rated vehicle, does anyone know what it was previously please?

Andy G

Here is a sister wagon, actually written to now work with the crane in Dave F's photo. http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brcranedrt813--/e56c7f694  and similar crane http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brcranedrt813--/e2db95194  http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brcranedrt813--/e3e71a74d

Paul

Lovely shots as always Dave, many thanks for continuing to share these gems. The 'approach' shot of Melton - the view from the cab at this end is nice but you have to crane your neck a bit to see if the Bobby is waving at you! The distant (well behind the camera obviously) is very hard to spot at night time as there's a factory over to the right which is usually lit up like a Christmas tree, almost blotting out the tiny yellow glow of the signal lamp. Still pinching myself that I actually got to sign the road this way, never in a million years did I think that when I was building the Airfix Oakham signalbox as a wee lad would I be working trains right past it's namesake.

One day this wonderful thread will come to a natural end when your supply of photos dries up, I hope that day is a long way off yet... ;)

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Some excellent photos from Leicestershire and Rutland today. At Oakham, the platforms look as if they are verging on the minimum width for a station platform - 9 feet, I think. And like you said, some very bad weather conditions.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

Would that in fact be a model of Melton Mowbray North (joint GN/LNWR)? It was at the Manchester exhibition last Saturday.

And a very nice layout too, making the most of 2mm - a change to see a 2mm layout that is not crammed into a shoebox.

Jonathan

Edited by corneliuslundie

In the yard on the left-hand side of Melton Mowbray station can be seen three wagons with a square profile when viewed end-on; these are Rectanks, carrying sheeted loads of timber, I believe. From other photos I've seen, there seemed to be quite a lot of timber traffic here.

I was about to ask if anyone knew what they were! Not seen anything like that before (but there again I haven't been looking)