Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

Those weather conditions really make those CEPs look careworn and ready for the scrapman.

Indeed, but they kept going for another 20 odd years - albeit with refurbishment - at Swindon IIRC. The last ones ended up as '3' CEPs, not much good on busy services as we lost a whole 2nd open!

I never thought I'd miss them, but I suppose I do. 

Great pics as ever David.

Les

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. A great selection of photo's of Bottesford today. Great seeing 20's in multiple on the summer passenger workings. And that Cravens unit in C5463 will have been giving a typically rattly ride!

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

not really my area at all, but even i know that 2 x 20 on a rake of mk1s will invariably be bound for skegness!

I notice in the pic of the 114 particularly, the platforms seem to be very low - quite a step down from the train

• RMweb Gold

Two sets of photos today.

The first ones are at Cambois and North Blyth yesterday, about 12.5pm.  The train is a Freightliner Heavy haul empty coal from York Yard south to North Blyth (Battleship Wharf).

4N04, 08:16, York Up Reception - North Blyth

I notice in the pic of the 114 particularly, the platforms seem to be very low - quite a step down from the train

Some of the stations between Crewe and Shrewsbury, and some on the Central Wales line suffered from the same problem. Usually associated with reballasting the track raising raising it up, but the platforms not following suit. The solution was to provide movable steps, as seen in the photo below. The steps, painted a fetching Arriva Blue, can be seen on the left hand platform.

6881362164_7bdeaecc54_b.jpgPrees by Class 92, on Flickr

Paul J.

• Like 4

C5451........25177 and 25220 I believe, 1E47 08.35 Derby - Yarmouth 11th July 81'. The only ones that seem to fit the bill, vac braked later shape engine plus earlier companion. Courtesy of Alan Bayliss' fine directory.

Regards

Guy

Edited by balders

• RMweb Gold

C5451........25177 and 25220 I believe, 1E47 08.35 Derby - Yarmouth 11th July 81'. The only ones that seem to fit the bill, vac braked later shape engine plus earlier companion. Courtesy of Alan Bayliss' fine directory.

Regards

Guy

Guy,

Thanks very much for trying to work out the loco numbers for me.

I hate to say it but having had another and more careful look at my notes I must have taken the photos between the 28th and 31st July 1981.

The images just before the Class 25s were taken on 28th July, so the 25s could not have been earlier as I was only using one camera then.

David

• RMweb Premium

Some of the stations between Crewe and Shrewsbury, and some on the Central Wales line suffered from the same problem. Usually associated with reballasting the track raising raising it up, but the platforms not following suit. The solution was to provide movable steps, as seen in the photo below. The steps, painted a fetching Arriva Blue, can be seen on the left hand platform.

6881362164_7bdeaecc54_b.jpgPrees by Class 92, on Flickr

Paul J.

With a Class 153 emphasising the height difference. Yorton, a couple of stops along from Prees

post-408-0-40143100-1481933659_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I love the Pilmoor photos. So nostalgic, and the first one is such a classic view of a Deltic hauled express passenger train. And that class 37 looks so unkempt - a good exercise in weathering.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Guy,

Thanks very much for trying to work out the loco numbers for me.

I hate to say it but having had another and more careful look at my notes I must have taken the photos between the 28th and 31st July 1981.

The images just before the Class 25s were taken on 28th July, so the 25s could not have been earlier as I was only using one camera then.

David

For the sake of completion, after having a chat with Dave, looks like it was the same train but on 1st August, 25270 and 25056 in charge.....confirmed I believe by the pair caught at Thetford the same day......

https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/86020500@N06/7985429077/in/set-72157632183760017/

Regards

Guy

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

For the sake of completion, after having a chat with Dave, looks like it was the same train but on 1st August, 25270 and 25056 in charge.....confirmed I believe by the pair caught at Thetford the same day......

https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/86020500@N06/7985429077/in/set-72157632183760017/

Regards

Guy

I've now amended the caption.

Thanks very much again.

David

1A20 was the 11:00 KX-Newcastle TCQ

1N74 was the 10:38 Yarmouth-York (FO in summer months extended to Newcastle)

I'm not sure about 1S99. Not a usual ECML reporting code, so maybe a special of some sort to Scotland.

Edited by mark54

That 47 has eth so it's not 169

Perhaps 47 469, which was a Haymarket loco from May 1974, after transfer from the Western Region? 1S99 is an Anglo-Scottish train, so could well be a Haymarket diagram. Expanding the image you can clearly see that it's 47 4?? - although the last two digits lose resolution.

On a separate query - if J892 is a Yarmouth to York working, what would it be doing at Pilmoor?

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps 47 469, which was a Haymarket loco from May 1974, after transfer from the Western Region? 1S99 is an Anglo-Scottish train, so could well be a Haymarket diagram. Expanding the image you can clearly see that it's 47 4?? - although the last two digits lose resolution.

On a separate query - if J892 is a Yarmouth to York working, what would it be doing at Pilmoor?

J892.  You have made a very good point, thanks.  I've no idea, I suspect Dad meant Newcastle and I didn't notice when I captioned it from his notes.

I'll change it.

David

• RMweb Premium

J892.  You have made a very good point, thanks.  I've no idea, I suspect Dad meant Newcastle and I didn't notice when I captioned it from his notes.

I'll change it.

David

Unless the train is correct and the stock ran ecs to Heaton?

That had been my first thought. However, I remember well into the Seventies there was a daily Newcastle - Norwich/Yarmouth return service, which ran from Doncaster via the GN&GE Joint line down to March and then across to the east coast. Latterly it was a fairly solid class 40 turn. I suspect that Dave is right and that it's probably that working.