Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Premium

Well I think that the peak went through after testing had removed much of the foam, but I do wonder how much effect the foam would have had on the APT, as I would expect that the cone nose would have cut through the foam throwing most of it out of the top of the bed.....

Andy G

• RMweb Gold

Not only that, but imagine everyone getting covered in foam too! :jester:  A potty idea! lol

Regards,

Rob.

Not quite so potty as a replacement for a sand drag; we had plenty of those in South Wales and, if the number of locos and coal wagons that ended up in them was anything to go by, they were very popular...

The mess after a 37 and loadeds had run into one replacing the sand drag at the bottom of Penrhos incline at Walnut Tree would have been pretty spectacular though, even if it was easy to clean up.  On a windy day it would've looked like a blizzard...

But if the Peak ran through it as described a 37 with 900 odd tons pushing it would have made mincemeat of one , even at low speed, and I can see why the idea wasn't adopted!  Kudos to the research people for having a go, though.

Edited by The Johnster

• RMweb Premium

J801 again shows a mixed DMU formation, Met Cam DMS, Met cam TS, BRCW TBS and then Met cam DMS. (or something like that!) Note also that the two driving vehicles look like they are in original livery with three lining bands, whereas the second has the br simple two band livery.

Cracking shots again David.

Andy G

• RMweb Gold

I love the photos of Chaloners Winn Junction. J801 is indeed a mixed formation. 101 DMCL, 101 TSL, 104 TBSL, 101 DMCL, then a two car 108, DTCL and DMBS.

I like the way you can see the numbers so vividly on D7509 in the first photo. A good thing to remember when weathering models.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

I love the photos of Chaloners Winn Junction. J801 is indeed a mixed formation. 101 DMCL, 101 TSL, 104 TBSL, 101 DMCL, then a two car 108, DTCL and DMBS.

ICBW, Rob, but I think that the third vehicle is a 104 driving trailer, formed with the corridor connection nearest the camera (as with the following 101 DMCL). Probably an ECS move?

Edited by 35A

• RMweb Premium

Chaloner's Whin Junction, just south of York on the ECML today.

As most of you know thus was the point at which the ECML headed for Selby and the south by curving to the left and the line to Leeds went straight on.

There are no photos of the car and its garage today!

The loco numbers may be correct.

attachicon.gifChaloners Whin Junction Class 25 D7509 up freight Oct 66 J652.jpg

Chaloners Whin Junction Class 25 D7509 up freight Oct 66 J652

attachicon.gifChaloners Whin JunctionClass 104 Scarborough to Leeds March 67 J798.jpg

Chaloners Whin JunctionClass 104 Scarborough to Leeds March 67 J798

attachicon.gifChaloners Whin Junction Class 101 Leeds to Scarborough March 67 J801.jpg

Chaloners Whin Junction Class 101 Leeds to Scarborough March 67 J801

attachicon.gifChaloners Whin Junction Class 55 D9015 up March 67 J806.jpg

Chaloners Whin Junction Class 55 D9015 up March 67 J806

attachicon.gifChaloners Whin Junction Class 40 D390 up freight March 67 J807.jpg

Chaloners Whin Junction Class 40 D390 up freight March 67 J807

David

Hi David

As I opened the post I saw the first image and seeing the cottage and thought "Where is the bike?" I then saw your comment Hahahahaha.

I like the BRCW 4 car unit in J798, is it a Met -Cam unit on the end?

J801, the Met -Cam unit has a BRCW TBS as its third coach and the two on the tail look like a Derby unit. Would one get away with running such a train at an exhibition without Mr "I don't mean to criticize but......"  saying something?

Edited by Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium

ICBW, Rob, but I think that the third vehicle is a 104 driving trailer, formed with the corridor connection nearest the camera (as with the following 101 DMCL). Probably an ECS move?

Hi

I agree with Rob, it is a TBS. The brake was always at the opposite end to the driving cab, the end leading has a half light window (toilet?) not a drivers door. If you look at the roof there are the pipes to the water tank. Along with the lack of a visible engine. 

The more photos I see of the NER four car units in the 60s and early 70s the more frequently there appears a coach from another manufacturer in the set. 

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I love the Haverthwaite photos. A fascinating collection of engines and stock to be seen.

The Portsmouth photos are delightful, and the last photo has two vessels to be seen, but I aren't quite sure if they are ferries.

Lastly, back to that DMU, at Chaloners Whin, and there were no class 104 DTBS's. As Clive has said, the misted window that is visible is the one opposite to the toilet. The rear unit being a Derby class 108.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

The Portsmouth photos are delightful, and the last photo has two vessels to be seen, but I aren't quite sure if they are ferries.

The vessel on the left is a landing craft, the one on the right is also RN, but not sure what.

As for that view, it has been totally transformed, by the retail centre Gun Wharf Quays, and the Spinnaker Tower, view from

post-29514-0-89666800-1494794080_thumb.jpg

Note the tower block behind the signal box is still there.

Dave

• Like 5

J1429...  8M74 was the 0815 SO Hull to Colwick due Aslockton at 2pm, so would fit the sun angle; and the coal wagons would be empties.

Interesting to see a GWR style fruit van as the first wagon - fitted head perhaps?

Paul

Hi Dave,

J2628 the general area is known as Hazelwell, the station of the same name was accessed from Cartland Road the next bridge to the north.The road bridge in the photo carried Vicarage Road over the railway to the junction with Fordhouse Lane and Pineapple Road. I knew the area well as my high school grounds ran down to the railway by Hazelwell station, ( this was on the Camp Hill avoiding line), and I always stop for a look when we holiday in the UK. The scene has changed since the early '60s when I was at school!

All is still recognisable on Google maps .

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

• RMweb Premium

That's a bit odd isn't it? No real use in any way, as the pan would smash the contact wire pots (and be smashed itself!). I wonder why they bothered wiring it like that?

Andy g

• RMweb Premium

Hi Dave,

J2628 the general area is known as Hazelwell, the station of the same name was accessed from Cartland Road the next bridge to the north.The road bridge in the photo carried Vicarage Road over the railway to the junction with Fordhouse Lane and Pineapple Road. I knew the area well as my high school grounds ran down to the railway by Hazelwell station, ( this was on the Camp Hill avoiding line), and I always stop for a look when we holiday in the UK. The scene has changed since the early '60s when I was at school!

All is still recognisable on Google maps .

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

Some of the road level station building still survives (see streetview)

https://goo.gl/maps/3vxZAxj5xzu

much modified from this:

http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/lms/mrhaz844.htm

Keith

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. These are a great set of photos of Ardwick. A place that conveyed gloom, but was so redolent of the '70's, and especially BR at that time.

The class 104 in the last photo shows that a white cab roof could brighten things up in the midst of all that gloom.

With warmest regards,

Rob.