Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hello Dave, yes, the Deltics at Barkston are absolute 'belters'! Thanks so much for sharing this wonderful archive. Ref. J5911; who is/was Ben??

I've no idea!

Nor have I any idea why the quote box below has appeared.

David

Edited by DaveF

• RMweb Premium

In J2085 there appears to be some wooden trunking in the four foot. Some sort of tuned track circuit or similar?

Hi LNERGE,

If you look closely in tge shadow cast by the "wooden location", at the sleeper ends you will see two smaller metal boxes (mounted on metal spikes or even short lengths of "recycled" channel rod). These are two tuning units for the track circuits. There were two types (that I know of), one was an 'ASTER' track circuit, and the other was a 'LUCAS' track circuit (perhaps one of the more qualified signalling engineers on this forum can confirm if I've got this right, or correct me if I'm wrong). The cables were indeed routed in wooden trunking in the 'four foot'. These cables were supplied at a specific length for each track circuit as they formed part of the tuned circuit - the wooden trunking (being non-conductive/capacitive/inductive) would not affect the tuned circuit.

One advantage of using 'tuned' track circuits was that they negated the use of block joints in CWR, thus removing a potential failure/fracture point around the bolt holes required for a block joint. However, they didn't provide a definite and physical separation between two track circuits as a block joint would provide. There was a small area of 'floating' track circuit between the two tuned circuits that would appear to "move" back and forth along the rails, but only for a short distance of a few inches.

Hope this helps.

Regards, Ian.

There is only one loco this can be and you need to get the number dead right to win this latest "Spot-the-Deltic" competition!

D9021?

I think I can make out the tell-tale sign of bolts on the cab roof where the roof mounted air horns were originally mounted on D9019, D9020 and D9021.

The double line nameplate rules out D9020 NIMBUS.

There is a regimental crest above the nameplate, but that doesn’t help as both D9019 and D9021 carried a crest.

However there looks to be more red on the lower half of the nameplate either side of a single central word as if it says:

ARGYLL & SUTHERLAND

HIGHLANDER

Like this: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_03_2014/post-13196-0-57109400-1394743452.jpg

Rather than:

ROYAL

HIGHLAND FUSILIER

like this: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/db/Carried_with_pride-_%27Royal_Highland_Fusilier%27_nameplate_-_panoramio.jpg

And finally "D9021" not just "9021" as, according to Chronicles of Napier, the "D" prefix was still carried in March 1970 but had been removed by May 1970.

Am I right?

Thanks Dave F for scanning all of the amazingly evocative pictures on this thread which bring back fond distant memories from early childhood.

Cheers

Tom. 

Edited by tiger

• RMweb Premium

Yes the size of the nameplate is a giveaway. It must be MELD.  :mosking:

Seriously though, the 47 in J2034 is a generator. The numbers and spacing suggest it is 1508, but it could be 1518, although I favour 1508 personally.

Paul J.

Hi Paul

I would agree it is 1508, have a look at the cant rail grilles, they lack the transverse supports found on most the class but not the first 10.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Northumberland ECML photos. Interesting to see a class 40 on a freightliner in the last one. And the HSTs make a great sight in the livery that was originally applied on them.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

D9021?

I think I can make out the tell-tale sign of bolts on the cab roof where the roof mounted air horns were originally mounted on D9019, D9020 and D9021.

The double line nameplate rules out D9020 NIMBUS.

There is a regimental crest above the nameplate, but that doesn’t help as both D9019 and D9021 carried a crest.

However there looks to be more red on the lower half of the nameplate either side of a single central word as if it says:

ARGYLL & SUTHERLAND

HIGHLANDER

Like this: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_03_2014/post-13196-0-57109400-1394743452.jpg

Rather than:

ROYAL

HIGHLAND FUSILIER

like this: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/db/Carried_with_pride-_'Royal_Highland_Fusilier'_nameplate_-_panoramio.jpg

And finally "D9021" not just "9021" as, according to Chronicles of Napier, the "D" prefix was still carried in March 1970 but had been removed by May 1970.

Am I right?

Thanks Dave F for scanning all of the amazingly evocative pictures on this thread which bring back fond distant memories from early childhood.

Cheers

Tom.

Correct, well done. J2085 must be D9021.

It was the only Deltic with nameplate lettering longer on top row than bottom and number is too long to be plain 9021.

• RMweb Premium

"some of the photos being devoted to infrastructure rather than trains"

Expect we've all done that before - turned up somewhere promising, and there weren't enough trains to photograph!

Maybe it was a Sunday with the boxes switched out?

All the signals appear to be off.

Keith

• RMweb Gold

Maybe it was a Sunday with the boxes switched out?

All the signals appear to be off.

Keith

I think that by 1977 Dent signal box was often switched out but I cannot remember the exact details.

David

• RMweb Premium

"some of the photos being devoted to infrastructure rather than trains"

Expect we've all done that before - turned up somewhere promising, and there weren't enough trains to photograph!

I once went to Derby Friargate as a lad to see some of that foreign stuff from the "Eastern" (I'm a Brummie, so LMS & GWR only)

Not one loco or train was seen in a hour or more so went back to Derby works for a sniff around.

I didn't know that the GN line to Friargate was near as dammit closed!

Keith

• RMweb Premium

I just like how that class 40 is still in green with TOPS numbering, but the class 45 is in corporate blue but retains it's original number.

A great collection and having detoured via Ribblesdale once on a trip back from Scotland once, always vowed to return but sadly have never managed it.

Regards,

Dave

• RMweb Premium

I just like how that class 40 is still in green with TOPS numbering, but the class 45 is in corporate blue but retains it's original number.

A great collection and having detoured via Ribblesdale once on a trip back from Scotland once, always vowed to return but sadly have never managed it.

Regards,

Dave

Hi Dave it took nearly 3 years (I think) to renumber everything. Many classes it was easy, class 40s in the D2xx range just took 40 0xx keeping the same last two digits and those in the D3xx series became 40 1xx, the exception being D200 who became 40 122 as 322 had been withdrawn. The dear old Peaks, well the class 45s were the last class to be fully renumbered. At the time they were being either converted to ETH 45/1 or remaining steam heat 45/0. There appeared to be no master plan for them so as each member of the class went through works it took the next number according to its heating type. That is why it is so hard to tell the D number identity of a Peak without referring to some reference material. It took a long time for all the Peaks to go through the works so some were running around with their old number for a long time.

• RMweb Gold

The fourth digit is most un-4-like. The "Broad Gauge Method" suggests 40096.

As it has a Clayton boiler it cannot be 40046, 40096 is more likely.

Thanks to both of you, I've altered the caption.

David