Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the GE photos. Felixstowe Beach had an interesting wooden station building - I don’t know if it’s still there today. And does anyone know what was going on in the foreground of the first three photos?

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Edit to thank beast66606 for the present day view of Felixstowe Beach station. My question is answered. All so different today.

Edited by Market65

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the GE photos. Felixstowe Beach had an interesting wooden station building - I don’t know if it’s still there today. And does anyone know what was going on in the foreground of the first three photos?

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Edit to thank beast66606 for the present day view of Felixstowe Beach station. My question is answered. All so different today.

Dad took the first 3 photos at Sproughton sidings.  All I know that they were taken close to a factory he used to visit on business so I assume that there must have been some building work going on - I think it may have been part of an industrial estate.

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the East Anglian Railway Museum photos. How good the N7 is today compared with how she was at the time of that photo.

The Midland photos are real gems, and in J3014 at Hathern, the two class 20’s, 8013 and 8196 make a fine sight at the head of the up limestone train. And I can see that the driver is in his shirt sleeves, so I’m thinking that it must have been a warm day.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Mostly Hathern this afternoon together with one photo taken at Kegworth.  Both theses locations are on the Midland between Nottingham and Loughborough.

The Kegworth photo is really quite poor but shows an interesting loco.  

attachicon.gifHathern Class 120 Nottingham to Birmingham Aug 72 J3013.jpg

Hathern Class 120 Nottingham to Birmingham Aug 72 J3013

attachicon.gifHathernClass 20s 8013 & 8196 up limestone Aug 72 J3014.jpg

HathernClass 20s 8013 & 8196 up limestone Aug 72 J3014

attachicon.gifHathern Class 47 1810 down mgr Aug 72 J3016.jpg

Hathern Class 47 1810 down mgr Aug 72 J3016

attachicon.gifHathern Class 45 81 up Aug 72 J3017.jpg

Hathern Class 45 81 up Aug 72 J3017

attachicon.gifKegworth Class 45 100 down and Kngston Gypsum mines diesel Jan 70 J2044.jpg

Kegworth Class 45 100 down and Kingston Gypsum mines diesel Jan 70 J2044    

Ruston 0-4-0DH 418793/1957  Many thanks to Fat Controller (Brian W) for the loco details.  His link (in the post below) is well worth looking at.

David

The last photo brings back trainspotting memories as I grew up in Kegworth, The gypsum mine also had an 0-4-0 saddle tank callled Lady Angela. It was built by Peckett and sons and is now at the South Devon Railway Only the other day I came across a couple of really bad photos of it - certainly not good enough to scan and post to this thread!!

• RMweb Gold

The last photo brings back trainspotting memories as I grew up in Kegworth, The gypsum mine also had an 0-4-0 saddle tank callled Lady Angela. It was built by Peckett and sons and is now at the South Devon Railway Only the other day I came across a couple of really bad photos of it - certainly not good enough to scan and post to this thread!!

I think this is the only photo I have of Lady Angela - taken by Dad.

post-5613-0-38179200-1509919886_thumb.jpg

It is in my black and white photo thread of Dad's photos (see signature below for link to the thread).

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 8

From the modelling POV, J3014 shows a couple of the early detail differences resulting from varying standards being applied by different works at overhaul in the late 60s and early 70s - in this instance, one class 20 with the number below the double arrow, the other with the double arrow below the number. Another variant at the time (usually where tablet catching equipment was fitted on the cabside) was with the number below the cabside window and the double arrow on the first bodyside door in front of the cab, which later become the more widespread standard.

Is it sad that I find the Mark IIf TSO, E5925, in J5980, more interesting than the class 47?  :no:

I just remember that large batch from E5908 to E5935 arriving on the ECML in 1974 and holding sway, alongside the HSTs, until the York semi-fasts (and the Deltics) were superseded in 1982 and most of them were transferred away. :whistle:

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. The Cleethorpes and Brockelsby photos are so nostalgic and a reminder of BR as it was in the late ‘70’s. Interesting to see the sea wall under construction at Cleethorpes. It made quite a transformation for all those living there.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

The fourth digit is most un-4-like. The "Broad Gauge Method" suggests 40096.

As it has a Clayton boiler it cannot be 40046, 40096 is more likely.

Thanks to both of you, I've altered the caption.

David

And in addition 40096 was one of only 14 disc headcode locos to have TOPS numbers on green livery. The only other one that ends in a '6' is 40106.

Edited by stovepipe

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. That’s a great set of photos of High Dyke. I particularly like the first one, which is a real classic shot of a Deltic hauled express train. I too think it’s 9019, Royal Highland Fusilier.

With warmest regards,

Rob.