RMweb

Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Edge Hill and Yorton photos. In the second photo, unless I’m much mistaken, the DMU is one of a few class 115’s that operated between Liverpool and Manchester in their early years. Notice the class 110 Calder Valley unit coupled up to it at the rear.

The next two photos show class 108’s, and in C5801 at Yorton, the cab front has been well and truly bashed by the air pipe!

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

C0801: a very atmospheric shot but probably one of the most gloomy views you've shared with us so far.

I only visited Edge Hill once, it was not the nicest place in those days.

It was a very cold and dull day.  I was quite glad to get back to Manchester in the late afternoon.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi, Dave. I like the Derbyshire photos. In the second one, the unit on the other line is a class 110 Calder Valley unit. I like that signal box in J5449 at Hall Lane Juntion. It would make fine model.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

It made very fine Christmas cards... the Railway Children Charity still do them... https://shop.railwaychildren.org.uk/products/copy-of-snow-on-the-settle

Andy G

Edited by uax6
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

It's been a long time since we last visited Edge Hill, I think these are the last three photos I have.

There are also two of Yorton, north of Shrewsbury on the line to Crewe.  They were taken on the way back from a holiday looking at Welsh narrow gauge railways in 1982.

David

Yorton in 2011

post-408-0-12974100-1510783957_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 9

I've been struggling to identify the class 40 in J4392. I have a feeling that it might be 40 052, the last of the ER green boiler-fitted locos. However, after a hour or so of ploughing through records and online pictures, I'm afraid that I've conceded defeat!

J4394's caption includes a typo - it's 55 005.  :)

• RMweb Gold

I've been struggling to identify the class 40 in J4392. I have a feeling that it might be 40 052, the last of the ER green boiler-fitted locos. However, after a hour or so of ploughing through records and online pictures, I'm afraid that I've conceded defeat!

The Deltic number was indeed a typing error.

I'm not that familiar with Darlington so I may be wrong but my impression is that this is actually a down train (using P1 as is the deltic in the earlier shot).

It could very well be a down train, it's a few years since I've been to the station, but I'll amend the caption.

The Website "The Bashing Years" has 40101 working the 1E09  0739  Glasgow Queen Street - Scarborough on 07/06/75 was it still in green in 1975

Jim

Thanks Jim and 35A for trying to identify the Class 40, I'll go with 40101.  The date looks about right.

David

• RMweb Gold

Excellent pictures David, what were the tunnels at seaham harbour?

As far as I remember they simply go through bits of cliff to others parts of the harbour.

I haven't been there for around thirty years, others may know a lot more than me.

David

• RMweb Gold

Excellent pictures David, what were the tunnels at seaham harbour?

The tunnels were where the railway passed from the South dock to the North dock (on the left)  and out on to the pier and along a beach(on the right). I believe that apart from serving the docks this railway along the beach served a battery during the war.

There is a video showing the railway but it is embedded in facebook and I am not sure if you will be able to access it. Here is a link anyway.

https://www.facebook.com/colin.barratt.7/videos/1577164262323345/

Edit: Here it is on youtube.  It is the first few seconds where you can see the dock railway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGiZ7qlukVM

Edited by BoD

40052 was dual braked......... thats a vac only loco.

• RMweb Gold

40052 was dual braked......... thats a vac only loco.

It's not 40101 either, that had a Clayton boiler; this one has the Stones type. So green TOPS, un-named, vac-braked, class 40s, with Stones boiler in June 1975 leaves 40039, 40106 and 40115.

40039 an ER machine, can be discounted on OHLW positions and lack of frost grills, and I think 40115 went blue in mid-1975, so my money is on the Green Goddess herself, 40106. Here's a shot of her a little later, but showing the same battle scars.

26765429081_20ca840af1_o.jpg40106 westbound parcels late evening at Manchester Victoria 31.7.1977 by Richard Clayton, on Flickr

Edited by stovepipe
  • Like 19

It's not 40101 either, that had a Clayton boiler; this one has the Stones type. So green TOPS, un-named, vac-braked, class 40s, with Stones boiler in June 1975 leaves 40039, 40106 and 40115.

40039 an ER machine, can be discounted on OHLW positions and lack of frost grills, and I think 40115 went blue in mid-1975, so my money is on the Green Goddess herself, 40106. Here's a shot of her a little later, but showing the same battle scars.

All good points. Stupidly, it had never occurred to me to look at the condition of 106! The first record of 115 in traffic in blue that I have was in September 75, so it's fairly unlikely that it had been through Crewe that quickly. I'd agree now, almost with certainty, that it's 40 106 pictured.

• Like 2