RMweb

Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That is a delightful selection of photo’s of Kilsby and Crick. In the first photo’ of 310061, on a Coventry to Euston via Northampton service, in March, 1967, your Dad has captured a great view of the train, which looks smart in the all blue livery and small yellow warning panel.

The photo’s of Ashington colliery in Northumberland, and one by Woodhorn Colliery, are a fascinating set, and of historical importance now so much has gone. In the last photo’ at Woodhorn, with 08485, running light engine, at the colliery crossing, on the 21st June, 1986, you have a lovely scene with the driver looking at the boy. The mind boggles at how old that boy will now be!

In the black and white photo’s of Derby, 1961, you have posted some real gems. In JM71, of LMS Class 2MT, 46402, running light engine, that is an excellent portrait shot of the locomotive.

Finally, the photo’s of Barkston, on the ECML, in September, 1968, are a superb selection, and J1413, of class 31, D5659, shining in new blue paintwork, on a down express passenger train, shows that the old and new could be still be found in some trains by that date, with the Porthole CK being the first carriage.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

J6526 is an 85 rather than an 86

Those AM10s look great with the curved windscreens!

Andi

Edited by Dagworth
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Dagworth said:

J6526 is an 85 rather than an 86

Those AM10s look great with the curved windscreens!

Andi

I knew that really!  Actually it was a typo, yet again, now corrected.

David

15 minutes ago, DaveF said:

Photos from visits to Doncaster station in 1977, 1979 and 1983.

Doncaster2xClass37upironorewagons11thAug77C3449.jpg.e74c43bea72ea7b701080b59d10cbea8.jpg

Doncaster 2x Class 37 up iron ore wagons 11th Aug 77  C3449

DoncasterClass108refurbishedDoncastertoLeeds11thAug77C3492.jpg.73a368b9ddd19803078f5c39b0da85d0.jpg

Doncaster Class 108 refurbished Doncaster to Leeds 11th Aug 77   C3492

Doncaster56033lightengineFeb79C4319.jpg.bdf5df57786e2391fa6a2749c7f68416.jpg

Doncaster 56033 light engine Feb 79 C4319

DoncasterClass101Doncaster-Selby-YorkOct83C6292.jpg.4131f91d811b595a1df4518999a77a85.jpg

Doncaster Class 101 Doncaster - Selby - York Oct 83   C6292

DoncasterClass124(123atrear)HulltoManchesterPiccadillyOct83C6293.jpg.bbbeec98a8fc6e0c00f233e35c46bcd9.jpg

Doncaster Class 124 (123 at rear) Hull to Manchester Piccadilly Oct 83  C6293

David

Hard to believe the Shildon built Scunthorpe tipplers were seven years old and well work stained but are still in use today!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. That’s a great set of photo’s from Wales of Tywyn. In C5764, with Classes 101 and 103, on a Machynlleth to Pwlhelli service, in July, 1982, it is a superb photo’, and it can be seen that the destination roller blind indicator seems to have not enough room for Pwlhelli, and unfortunately seems to be missing the final letter.

The photo’s of Paddington, in February, 1978, and the 27th July, 1988, are a delightful selection from the two different years, and in the first photo’ of HST’s, 253013 & 253005, from February, 1978, it is an excellent scene, and I believe it was set 253005 that was originally produced by Hornby in 1977.

That’s a superb and nostalgic set of photo’s of Doncaster. The memories they bring back! In the last photo’ of a class 124, with a class 123 at the rear, on one of the Hull to Manchester Piccadilly workings, in October, 1983, that’s such a superb photo’ of the hybrid set, and it could be I was on that train travelling to and from  Doncaster as much as I was back then.

Finally, that’s a most interesting selection of photo’s of the London Tilbury and Southend starting on the Tilbury loop and going in the direction of Shoeburyness. The first one of Low Street West, Tilbury, with 302223, leading a Shoeburyness to Fenchurch St.service, in December, 1976, is a superb and intriguing view. I wonder what the driver was doing in the open cab door?

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Mark Saunders said:

Hard to believe the Shildon built Scunthorpe tipplers were seven years old and well work stained but are still in use today!

Evening Mark,  would they have been taking ore to the Sheffield area back then 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, DaveF said:

Back to the London Tilbury and Southend starting on the Tilbury loop and heading in the direction of Shoeburyness.

LowStreetWestTilbury302223ShoeburynesstoFenchurchStDec76C3125.jpg.e6581154611ae6a915528bf0928ba0e2.jpg

Low Street West Tilbury 302223 Shoeburyness to Fenchurch St Dec 76 C3125

I do hope that train in C3125 has stopped, since the driver appears to be leaning from the doorway and is definitely not at the controls.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, brushman47544 said:

I do hope that train in C3125 has stopped, since the driver appears to be leaning from the doorway and is definitely not at the controls.

I've just had a look at the notes I made on the day.  They say that the  relief signalman is in the doorway ready to leave the train, the train stopped on the level crossing to let him get off.

My comment now: I don't know why the driver is not visible, there was one becasue the train moved off when the man had alighted..

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 7

I am intrigued by C3449.

Those iron ore wagons are usually to be found between the ore terminal at Immingham, and the one at Santon, Scunthorpe steel works.

What they were doing at Doncaster is baffling.

I've never heard of a service taking the same ore anywhere else.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, JeffP said:

I am intrigued by C3449.

Those iron ore wagons are usually to be found between the ore terminal at Immingham, and the one at Santon, Scunthorpe steel works.

What they were doing at Doncaster is baffling.

I've never heard of a service taking the same ore anywhere else.

Might it be from stocks at a recently-closed site. I believe Ravenscraig sent its stock to South Wales; perhaps Round Oak or Corby   sent theirs to Stanton?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Before I post any photos today I just want to thank everyone for their comments, especially when my photos show an unusual working like the iron ore wagons at Doncaster yesterday.  I suspect that over the years all sorts of rather unusual workings took place but there weren't a lot of people taking photos, so they simply didn't get recorded.

When I saw that particular train at Doncaster I never thought anything much about it as it was a place I hardly ever visited and therefore didn't have much idea of what freight I would see, as was usually the case before the internet. Back then information was very hard to come by as no one outside the industry had access to current working timetables unlike today when I can have a quick look on my phone to see what to expect wherever I am in the UK.

David

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

Might it be from stocks at a recently-closed site. I believe Ravenscraig sent its stock to South Wales; perhaps Round Oak or Corby   sent theirs to Stanton?

Ravenscraig would have still been open then. Was thinking about my earlier comments and couldn't have been going to Sheffield area as nowhere had a tipler to unload them.

I suppose one possibility is for some reason it was a load from Immingham to South Wales 

• Like 2

I guess in the aftermath they took down the section of roofing affected by the fire - there is a gap today in the roof and that brick end to the support gantry has also gone.

Taken from Google streetview, left the contributors name visible.

image.png.c4e2d0d1b26dabd5e9cc5a79882e3a8a.png

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Artless Bodger said:

C3127 - has made me realise the LTS emus had proper tail lights, whereas the SR emus of similar appearance used red blanks in the headcode blinds. I wonder why the SR stock didn't have installed tail lights?

Because until about 1963, the only acceptable light in Rule Book terms was an oil lamp. Thus EMUs right up to that date were all built on the basis of needing a lamp bracket on the rear. And from that date, only EMUs with batteries were allowed to display red roller blinds instead. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

I guess in the aftermath they took down the section of roofing affected by the fire - there is a gap today in the roof and that brick end to the support gantry has also gone.

Taken from Google streetview, left the contributors name visible.

image.png.c4e2d0d1b26dabd5e9cc5a79882e3a8a.png

Yes, part of the roof was removed as a result of the accident.

David

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

He will be standing at L16 peg, protecting the crossing and about to descend to go and wake Ron up!

• Like 3