Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Just catching up a bit - Harlaxton was at the KWVR at one time in the 70's, I recall it there.  The 'Peckett' in the photo. C3180 isn't a Peckett I don't think, but I'm not sure what it is - it might be the Beyer-Peacock that is now at Foxfield?

Harlaxton was indeed at the KWVR, it moved from there to Sewstern in 1973 (I think), then after the scheme closed it went to the North Norfolk.

You are right about the "Peckett" in C3180, it is in fact a Bagnall, Jubilee.  I simply captioned it wrongly.

David

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, DaveF said:

By the end of today I'll have completed reposting photos up to early May 2016, the last week or so has been using the odds and ends.

Tomorrow I'll start reposting photos originally posted between May 2016 and May 2017.

Today we start with a batch from the Talyllyn Railway.

aTywynWharfNo6DouglasAug69J1842.jpg.ef95d948f812d0d414847aaeeb8ba40a.jpg

Tywyn Wharf No 6 Douglas Aug 69 J1842

aTywynWharfHunslet0-4-0STRoughPupinmuseumAug69J1847.jpg.9e01e54534b5aaef76f64c9bd6c9df5b.jpg

Tywyn Wharf Hunslet 0-4-0ST Rough Pup in museum Aug 69 J1847

aTywynWharfNo6DouglasAug69J1851.jpg.2449d8c58e15b0463e1af2e291063b2b.jpg

Tywyn Wharf No 6 Douglas Aug 69 J1851

aTywynWharfNo6DouglasAug69J1893.jpg.73055e9aae31b8dc3a61384aa8c7dcf8.jpg

Tywyn Wharf No 6 Douglas  Aug 69 J1893

aTywynWharfAug69J1929.jpg.0987b7089e768e29e285e5b09fc64f5f.jpg

Tywyn Wharf Aug 69 J1929

aTywynWharfNo2DolgochAug69J1938.jpg.298ef4b38c41b93a0dae182d8a4f2efe.jpg

Tywyn Wharf No 2 Dolgoch Aug 69  J1938

aTywynWharfNo6Douglas31stAug69C050.jpg.e9f3094d8d6e3db8ea428e6c5667fb2a.jpg

Tywyn Wharf No 6 Douglas  31st Aug 69 C050

David

Your 60's colour photos have the best colour reproduction for the era I've even seen. That first image could have been taken last year for the quality of it not 50+ years ago...

Edited by SR71
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, SR71 said:

Your 60's colour photos have the best colour reproduction for the era I've even seen. That first image could have been taken last year for the quality of it not 50+ years ago...

Thanks very much for the comment.

Fortunately Dad, Mum and I always kept our best slides in boxes or magazines which didn't let any light in, also they were in warm dry rooms.  A few were kept in boxes with smoked plastic lids but they were the ones we thought less good.  Mine spent many years in their boxes on shelves on my landing until they were scanned.

A minimal amount of work was done on the usuing Paint Shoip Pro or Photoshop after they were scanned.

David

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 4

35 minutes ago, DaveF said:

Another random batch.

BrentingbyJunctioneastofMeltonMowbrayAug72C1027.jpg.97e89514495a97eee94e6edd9cde229f.jpg

Brentingby Junction east of Melton Mowbray Aug 72 C1027

DevilsBridgeValeofRheidol9PrinceofWalestakingwaterheavyrain6thAugust19794710.jpg.5719b4d39cd4cf4dcf7c2a0044220fa7.jpg

Devils Bridge Vale of Rheidol 9 Prince of Wales taking water heavy rain 6th August 1979 C4710

iKildarybridgesoverB817andBalnagownRiverAug74J3893.jpg.937c24b3b29d35a84e11d1f16cb1c7da.jpg

Kildary bridges over B817 and Balnagown River Aug 74 J3893

jOakworth41241leavingforHaworthJuly68J1374.jpg.303a618f5e77ca6a6c607c8099c772e7.jpg

Oakworth 41241 leaving for Haworth July 68 J1374

fRannochviewsouth11thMay85C6886.jpg.f4a3133d70834c805269aa7549651a2c.jpg

Rannoch view south 11th May 85 C6886

David

Was that the Whitley Bay Horticultural Society's trip to Mallaig? If so, we were on board!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

Was that the Whitley Bay Horticultural Society's trip to Mallaig? If so, we were on board!

It was the Whitley Bay trip.  Several of us went on a number of their trips as a group.  We were usually hanging out of door windows taking photos - but we were careful not to get our heads in the way of fixed structures - we are all still alive!.

David

• Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. That’s a most excellent selection of photo’s of the Talyllyn Railway at Tywyn Wharf. In the first photo’, of No 6, Douglas, from August, 1969, your Dad has taken a well composed shot of the engine as, presumably, it takes water and is coaled.

The random batch of photo’s are superb, and in C4710, at Devils Bridge, on the Vale of Rheidol, of 9, Prince of Wales, taking water in heavy rain, on the 6th August, 1979, you have taken an excellent photo’, looking down on the locomotive.

The photo’s of Sewstern and Market Overton, beyond the High Dyke branch, are a fascinating set. In the first photo’ at Market Overton, with Peckett 0-4-0ST, banking a ballast train, in September, 1973, your Dad has taken a superb photo’ of the locomotive. 

And thank you for posting a closer, more detailed photo’ of the special vehicle in the last photo’. Combined with your detailed explanation from the other day, I feel I now know the vehicle very well. 

Finally, the mixed set of photo’s are a splendid selection. In the last photo’, to the south of Grosmont, of the AC cars railbus, E79978, on a Grosmont to Goathland service, in August, 1975, you have taken a splendid shot of the vehicle. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SouthernBlue80s said:

J3401 of the Peckett is a lovely photograph, I am not into Pecketts, but for me the colours everything about that picture is just right.

It stood out for me too, not least because it reminded me of the work of @NHY 581. Both the photo of the prototype and the modelling equivalent are beautiful examples of the skill and expertise of their respective creators - it’s a real joy to be able to share in them on this site.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

C12018 of an HST and a DMU in platform 1. As far as I can see the HST has its tail lights lit so is presumably an Up train. Though I think it is feasible, if not likely, to leave the station in the Up direction and travel in a loop to gain the Exeter line. Rather line Newcastle. Mind you, Taunton seems an unlikely final destination for a train from Paddington, so was it a special of some kind? Or engineering work perhaps.

Jonathan

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, corneliuslundie said:

C12018 of an HST and a DMU in platform 1. As far as I can see the HST has its tail lights lit so is presumably an Up train. Though I think it is feasible, if not likely, to leave the station in the Up direction and travel in a loop to gain the Exeter line. Rather line Newcastle. Mind you, Taunton seems an unlikely final destination for a train from Paddington, so was it a special of some kind? Or engineering work perhaps.

Jonathan

It's a long time ago but I think the Western Region was having a bad day.  I was in a hotel near Parkway and had caught a train to Temple Meads, but the one I caught was not at a time shown in the timetable.  It was the same going back later in the day.

David

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, DaveF said:

It's a long time ago but I think the Western Region was having a bad day.  I was in a hotel near Parkway and had caught a train to Temple Meads, but the one I caught was not at a time shown in the timetable.  It was the same going back later in the day.

David

Ah yes, welcome to the west country, having to use the bus to get to work is always a lottery 😉

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, corneliuslundie said:

Jonathan

To my eyes, that HST looks like it has headlights showing and a driver in the cab, indicating a down train (and it’s platform 12, not 1). As to why it’s in the platform “behind” a DMU is anyone’s guess, although David alluded to there being problems that day. I doubt it was a normal move for a through train to run permissively into a platform behind another service, but you never know.
Taunton, although not one of the principal destinations for trains from Paddington, did have some terminating services. These would have been extensions to a Bristol or Weston-Super-Mare service. As I recall, the 1815 ex-Paddington ran to Taunton on weekdays for many years via Box and Weston. After Bristol, it called at Nailsea & Backwell, Yatton, Weston Milton, Weston-super-Mare, Highbridge and Bridgwater.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the correction regarding Bristol TM. I really should have noticed the platform number. Partly I was fooled by the substantial nature of the buildings which I took to be those facing the forecourt.

And as I look at the image again one lamp seems red and the other white!

I wonder if technically the HST was in platform 11 and the DMU in platform 12, as they are actually the same platform. Though there are no obviuous signals to allow them to be used separately.

And I had completely forgotten that the old terminal platform is now in use and numbered platform 1, It shows how long since I have been there.

Jonathan

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a great selection of photo’s of Bristol Temple Meads, with the first from 1977, and the rest from the 1st July, 1989. In C12109, of 43130, on a HST from Paddington to Paignton, on Saturday, 1st July, 1989, you have taken a well composed shot the train. 

The photo’s of Cambois and North Blyth on the Blyth and Tyne, are an excellent set. The first one at Cambois, with 56134, on the 16th August, 1985, is an excellent photo’, and has captured well the white exhaust trailing back along the train.

That’s a fantastic selection of photo’s of the Southern, at Shoreham. In the first photo’ of a 4EPB, on a down service, in September, 1977, you have captured a delightful scene of the train between the trees. 

Finally, the photo’s of the East Midlands, at Kirkby in Ashfield, in April, 1964, and April, 1969, are a splendid set. In J119, of 8F, 48447, in April, 1964, your Dad has taken a well composed portrait shot of the locomotive.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1