Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a fantastic mixed selection of photo’s of Chalton on the Midland in Bedfordshire, Chapel en le Frith and Chatham, looking down on the line from above the tunnel. C15308, at Chapel en le Frith, with 150213, on a Buxton to Manchester Piccadilly service, on the 24th August, 1990, it is an excellent photo’, and the station is looking a bit gloomy with the careworn unit adding to that effect.

The black and white photo’s at Cambridge, south of the station, are a superb set. Each one is a real gem. The last photo’ of an O7 WD, on a down goods train, in c1948, is most atmospheric, and a smokebox door numberplate can just be seen. Not all of the numbers though are fully visible.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, corneliuslundie said:

StJVol3160 is a real gem. I assume that your father had advance warning.

Jonathan

I think so, like a number of members of the Cambridge University Railway Club he got to know a lot of railwaymen and having a track permit he was often walking around the railway.

As he was married he and Mum had a flat rather than living in college and some of the speakers used to stay with them so he got to know a number of railwaymen and authors that way as well.

David

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Artless Bodger said:

Nice photo C5034, the train is crossing the Luton Arches. 2EPB in the lead as you say, the second unit looks like a 2HAP - you can see the water pipes along the roof to the toilet tanks.

Might the front unit be one of the last batch of 2HAP with the shallow headcode panel and slightly angled roof gutters? Would be unusual to have a mixed HAP+EPB like that on a 92 Vic-Gillingham semifast. 

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, DaveF said:

ChaltonnearLutonClass45downFeb76C2612.jpg.053d25425c072a265bb2049996d0d8a6.jpg

Chalton near Luton Class 45 down Feb 76 C2612

The place name threw me until I saw this photo, then I realised exactly where it was. Just above the loco is a bridge over the M1. I've driven past here many a time, but never actually seen a passing train. As the train rounds the bend heading north it will shortly pass behind Toddington motorway service area. It also passes the site of Sundon cement works, which had only recently closed when the photo was taken, something that I don't recall ever seeing, but apparently it was connected to the mainline and also had a 3' gauge system internally. Well that's something that I've learnt today.... A bit of info here  https://www.flickr.com/photos/28083135@N06/17495091344      Then nowadays, just to the left is the newish junction 11A of the M1 with the start of the sprawl of warehousing and distribution that has sprung up around Leagrave to the left and behind....

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, corneliuslundie said:

Chalton threw me too, and I lived in Harpenden not far south of Luton for 25 years. It is not a village I had ever heard of. One learns something every day.

Jonathan

If I am not sure of the name of a location I usually use the nearest village.  in Northumberland where there aren't very many villages I sometimes use the name of a nearby farm.

David

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Chris116 said:

I like the Peterborough photos from 27th July 1974. I hope you enjoyed your day there while I was celebrating my 30th birthday.

Dave,

Interesting to read Chris116's comment about where he was on the date when the photos were taken.

I spent most of my working life from 1966 to 1999 in the Far East (Hong Kong, Vietnam, India, Singapore, Bahrain, South Korea and Japan) and quite often work out in which country I was when looking at your fantastic collection of photos.

Many thanks, looking forward to many more photos.

Keith

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s superb selection of photo’s of Peterborough, on the 27th July, 1974. The first photo’ of a class 47, is a most excellent photo’, and, on referring to the Napier Chronicles, train 1D03 is the12:47 King's Cross to Hull. Air braked and ETH. 

The photo’s of Newcastle, in 1984 and 1987, are an excellent set. C8186, of 47467, on the 17th January, 1987, is a delightful portrait shot of the locomotive.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brushman47544 said:

Hi David,

In the Peterborough photos, in order the locos not identified in the captions appear to be:

47401? and 31101

Can't argue with that 😁 - I was in hospital, about 200 metres away, at the time.

The 37, in the final picture (C1728), would have been 37 102, again. The earlier picture (C1715) will be of it, having arrived on the Harwich Parkeston Quay to Peterborough service (1B13), waiting to set back into Nene Sidings, to run round. The final image will be of it waiting to head back to Harwich on 1C15, the Deltic being on 1E11.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I’ve just sent a link to the above post to my previous trainee as the farmland around hillmorton toward rugby was his grandparents until fairly recently, it’s now part of a big housing estate (houlton village) 

However looking at street view compared to the July 71 pic the immediate vicinity hasn’t changed much (until you go over the hill toward dirft)

IMG_3287.png.a1e2f61e2c0f816949eaf77944f026e1.png

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

I luv the C2126 shot - it so reminds me of a layout, that was on here ages ago. I think it was called "Sutton Hoo" or similar.

Kev.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a great selection of photo’s from south of Rugby, around Hillmorton on the WCML, with class 86’s, from 1969 to 1972. C909, with Class 86, E3189, on a down service, in April, 1972, is a superb photo’, and very well composed.

The photo’s of the southern electrics are an excellent set. C2126, at Swale, with 2HAP, 6076, on a Sittingborne to Sheerness working, in May, 1975, is, as previously stated an excellent shot. The model layout was Sutton Hoo, and was a fantastic layout, complete with working shoe gear for the third rail.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 2