Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

J2945 is interesting. Other than the fact the passengers would have had to put up with a DMU all the way from Reading to Birmingham (I'd simply wait for the next loco hauled train), it's the first time I've seen a Reading based Pressed Steel Class 117 unit with a fourth coach added - and a Met-Cam with non-suburban seating to boot.

Edited by brushman47544
typo
  • Like 4
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, DaveF said:

FennyComptonClass471758June72J2937.jpg.55d4c392ef4b8eedb47508859a23cf23.jpg

Fenny Compton Class 47 1758  June 72 J2937

interesting to see the bridge carrying the SMJR line to line toward Woodford halse still in place at wormleighton 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

J2945 is interesting. Other than the fact the passengers would have had to put up with a DMU all the way from Reading to Birmingham (I'd simply wait for the next loco hauled train), it's the first time I've seen a Reading based Pressed Steel Class 117 unit with a fourth coach added - and a Met-Cam with non-suburban seating to boot.

Could it have been a last-minute replacement/relief for a no-show/very late hauled service? I saw that a few times when I was down that way in the early 80s. But yes, the 4-car 117/Met-Cam is pretty unusual.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a great set of photo’s from June, 1972, possibly the 10th, at Fenny Compton. J2944, of Class 47, 1753, on a Birmingham to Paddington service, is a superb composition by your Dad, and the 47 is well weathered, especially the cab roof.

The photo’s of the ECML, around Little Bytham, in 1971 and 1973, are a fantastic selection. J2657, of Class 47, 1973, on the 12.00 Kings Cross to Aberdeen express train in May, 1971, is a splendid composition from track level which makes it most impressive.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, DaveF said:

FennyComptonClass115ReadingtoBirminghamJune72J2945.jpg.d5d4cfb4e68667aecbd6e04e86e9cfed.jpg

Fenny Compton Class 115 Reading to Birmingham June 72 J2945

As mentioned, this is a cl.117 unit - according to railcar.co.uk L420 was formed 51367, 59519, 51409 (DMBS, TCL, DMS) and the unit was gangwayed.

The Met-Camm TCL was one of three allocated to Reading, used to strengthen services to 4-car.

These TCLs were replacements for three converted l/h Hawksworth coaches (which had initially been used in Cross-Country sets).

https://www.railcar.co.uk/type/class-117/operations

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a fantastic selection of photo’s at Butterley, The Midland Railway Trust, in 1978 and 1982. C3848, of 4F, 44027, on the 27th May, 1978, is a splendid three quarter portrait shot of the locomotive.

The black and white, late 1940’s photo’s at Cambridge, are a superb set. The last photo’ of a K3 on an ordinary passenger train in 1947, is an excellent photo’, and it can be seen that the formation of stock after the LMS BG, is a five car steel articulated set with the CK replaced with a teak bodied example.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks David for posting yet more lovely pictures taken by your father at Cambridge in the 1940s, but are you sure the one of the J20 (JVol1429) was taken there, as I can't place whereabouts if could be?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, 31A said:

Thanks David for posting yet more lovely pictures taken by your father at Cambridge in the 1940s, but are you sure the one of the J20 (JVol1429) was taken there, as I can't place whereabouts if could be?

I'll have to be honest and admit I don't know, I didn't look at the railway in Cambridge until the 1970s.  All I can say is that it was one of a small batch for which there was no catalogue entry but was in Album No1.  When I scanned it I took the caption details off the notes he had written on the back of the print.

If it isn't Cambridge it will be in the area, I know he visited March from time to time and sometimes travelled to Liverpool Street.

Does anyone know?

David

42 minutes ago, DaveF said:

I'll have to be honest and admit I don't know, I didn't look at the railway in Cambridge until the 1970s.  All I can say is that it was one of a small batch for which there was no catalogue entry but was in Album No1.  When I scanned it I took the caption details off the notes he had written on the back of the print.

If it isn't Cambridge it will be in the area, I know he visited March from time to time and sometimes travelled to Liverpool Street.

Does anyone know?

David

I found two GE engine shed books from my father, certainly not Cambridge nor Kings Lynn,

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 31A said:

Having looked at a few photos, I wonder if it could be March?

Martyn

• Agree 1

22 minutes ago, mullie said:

Martyn

Would the water tower be that close for March?

Been through two volumes of GE sheds and nothing similar.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, mullie said:

Martyn

Bingo Martyn, yes I believe you are correct!  The west end of March station with March North Junction box just out of shot to the left, and Norwood Road on the embankment in the background, leading to the overbridge which is visible behind the first vehicle of the train.

I can't find any photos on line to support this but here is the March North signal box diagram from the 1960s, by which time the signalling had been simplified and it seems the siding ending at the buffer stops by the platform ramp was no longer there.  But it looks to me as though the picture was probably taken from Platform 6 (per the diagram; present day westbound platform now numbered 1) with the face of Platform 5 in the foreground and the west facing bay platforms 3 and 4 beyond that.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pwayowen/7275153232

I don't think the water tower in the picture was associated with the loco depot, which was a long way away from the station on the other side of Norwood Road bridge and had its own water tower, but may have been to supply water cranes in the station area.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

One you probably didn't take when you were there: Zweisimmen from the cablecar up the adjacent mountain.

mob12.jpg.9459496a549a722c5f40f8a550a49428.jpg

When I got to the top the restaurant was so full of Germans I couldn't get served.

Jonathan

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a fantastic set of photo’s from Switzerland at Zweissimmen, on the 16th August, 1991. C16454, of MOB BDe4/4, 37, is a particularly excellent three quarter portrait shot of the railcar.

The WCML photo’s from around Hademore and Harow and Wealdstone, are an excellent selection. J5292, at Harrow and Wealdstone, with a Class 501, on a Watford to London service, in June, 1976, going away from the camera, is a superb shot, and the guards van door can be seen to be open in the leading car of the rear three car set. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1