Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, big jim said:

Sounds like a Spanish resort! 

I only visited for the first time a couple of years back and thought it was fantastic, I also after my trip rode my bike from ravensglass to dalgarth and back, I took the family last year and they loved it too (and they hate trains!) 

To me it was the reverend awdrey railway books were actually real! I remember the engine we had was red .... bloody hell James is real and we passed a green one somewhere so Henry was still working! For what seemed like years later I longed to return to this place

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, DaveF said:

HeadcornClass4117160MargatetoCharingXMay76J5176.jpg.4f7aeb5b6d5a967355921e4e0e20f6de.jpg

Headcorn Class 411 7160 Margate to Charing X May 76 J5176

And pair of manky 4VEPs on the back.

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

that's my "commuting to school" experience a few years later, a couple of stops up the line - almost unremitting blue/grey  CEPs and BEPs and VEPs. At least Tonbridge had the Hastings units

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a great set of photo’s of Southern electrics, near Headcorn, on a day in May, 1976. The last photo’, of Class 411, 7182, on a Charing Cross to Ashford service is a beautifully composed photo’ by your Dad of the unit running solo.

The photo’s at Burton le Coggles, on the ECML south of Grantham, are an excellent selection. J3154, of Class 55, 9017, which, according to the Napier Chronicles, is the 15.00 Kings Cross to Newcastle, in March, 1973, is a superb photo’ of the train.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, DaveF said:

BurtonleCogglesClass40upAug71J2764.jpg.17a6e0771f7e994e551e7ed3ee29859e.jpg

Burton le Coggles Class 40 up Aug 71 J2764

I do like this composition, especially with the (your?) family group. Perhaps half a second earlier so as to get the whole loco in (and avoid the telegraph pole growing out of it)?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

I don't know how they were priced back in the day but they seemed fairly common - firmly a luxury item nowadays though!

Edited by keefer
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, keefer said:

I don't know how they were priced back in the day but they seemed fairly common - firmly a luxury item nowadays though!

In the context of RMweb I'd have expected it to be a Pedigree...

triangtoys.jpg

(Moderators: photo from World of Railways website so I assume no copyright restriction on RMweb - if I'm wrong, please delete).

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

I do like this composition, especially with the (your?) family group. Perhaps half a second earlier so as to get the whole loco in (and avoid the telegraph pole growing out of it)?

1 hour ago, Oldddudders said:

With a posh Silver Cross pram.

I've no idea who the people were, certainly not family.   Very often when Dad or I were there taking photos people from the local village would walk up the hill with their children, I think it was a popular path.

I agree about taking the photo a bit earlier, it was one of Dad's and he probably had taken a photo of it coming towards him and then turned round to take the photo of it going away and was a fraction late doing so.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Is that a Deltic in the platform above the rear end of the left hand class 101?

I am sure one of our experts will be able to tell us which one . . . . 

Jonathan

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

2 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

triangtoys.jpg

(Moderators: photo from World of Railways website so I assume no copyright restriction on RMweb - if I'm wrong, please delete).

Silver Cross is equally valid

r-66sc.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

triangtoys.jpg

Now that you mention it, there were probably a few manufacturers of those 'traditional' prams, Silver Cross being only one (and perhaps the best known) of them.

Certainly SC are still going and they're very much a niche item.

Edited by keefer
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, DaveF said:

J5991

Not 45099 as the /0s didn't go that high. Looks like a 45/1 - any nameplate experts here? (or itinerant Deltic identifiers?)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a fantastic selection of photo’s of Newcastle, Benton and Benton Quarry junction. The first photo’ at Newcastle, with on the right a Class 101 on a service to the coast, with on the left another Class 101 from South Shields, in May, 1974 - exactly 50 years ago - being a superb photo’ of both the crossovers and trains. 

The whole plate photo’ by your Dad, of A3, 60058, Blair Atholl, on an up express passenger train from Sheffield to London Marylebone, The Master Cutler, at Nottingham Victoria Station in March, 1950, in the rain, is a truly magnificent photo’, and I look forward to seeing many more of these whole plate photo’s.

The photo’s at Ratcliffe on Soar are a splendid set. The last photo’ of a Class 45, on a down ballast train, in February, 1983, is a well composed photo’ of the train.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

J5991 is definitely a 45/1 as it has ETH jumper and socket.

J5334 DMU is a cl.116. I didn't realise that this class had TC coaches and unusually amongst DMU types, they didn't have a toilet. 

Edited by keefer
  • Like 1