Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Love the pictures of Appledore,was it still double track to Rye back then?

Interesting that it's only a disc signal for the Lydd/ Dungeness branch

Love the pictures of Appledore,was it still double track to Rye back then?

Interesting that it's only a disc signal for the Lydd/ Dungeness branch

Think the singling was around or just before before 1983, to judge by this pic of mine: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/544-southern-region-photos-1980s/?p=752312

which shows a pile of sleepers, I think from the singling (and also some colour lights) 

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. A great set of photos today. A million views, that will be another remarkable milestone for this thread and very well deserved too.

In photo C4619, that signal would make a great model. And, as remarked earlier, it is interesting to see a disc signal for the branch.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

More wonderful shots Dave

J1184 - definitely a 46, D186 or D188 perhaps?

And J1251 - D1839 - a cracking shot of the Stones boiler port , decent shots are not common and this is the one variant Bachmann have yet to produce...

Thanks once again

Phil

Not D186 as this was an early one to blue, with red buffer beams and had been so since March 1967.

Paul J.

Thanks for the latest photos, David.

Ashford photos are full of nostalgia for me, as I married a girl from Romney Marsh; and so on quiet family days it was 'natural' to drive her and her mother into town for shopping purposes while I spent time either on the station or in the cattle market car park if the weather was bad.

My visit was not complete without a drive along the road which used to run parallel to the station (on the Marsh side), where lots of 2-EPBs were stabled between rush hours, as they were used as strengtheners in commuter trains in those far off days. I think the Eurostar terminal is located on that area now, but I don't recognise much of Ashford when I return there now.

Thanks for the latest photos, David.

Ashford photos are full of nostalgia for me, as I married a girl from Romney Marsh; and so on quiet family days it was 'natural' to drive her and her mother into town for shopping purposes while I spent time either on the station or in the cattle market car park if the weather was bad.

My visit was not complete without a drive along the road which used to run parallel to the station (on the Marsh side), where lots of 2-EPBs were stabled between rush hours, as they were used as strengtheners in commuter trains in those far off days. I think the Eurostar terminal is located on that area now, but I don't recognise much of Ashford when I return there now.

I think the sidings you refer to are 'Newtown Berthing Sidings' which are between the 'Designer Centre' and the station; they're still there, and in daily use. On the station itself, almost all has been rebuilt (in the case of Beaver Road bridge, twice) since those photos were taken. The only thing that remains of the station that was rebuilt for the Kent Coast Electrification is a small part of the 'Booking Hall Bridge' at the London end; this was retained as a Fire Exit from Platforms 3&4 (Eurostar platforms) to the road side of Platform 1

• RMweb Premium

Is  C9437 a photo of the train that used to run as The European?

We used to use it a lot for holidays in the 80's (we had no car) getting on at Ely and either getting off at Oxenholme or Glasgow Queen Street. A really useful service.

Strange that we always reserved seats and they were always in coach A, which always appeared to be a vehicle with one defect or another. I remember one journey where it had no lights and had been marshalled outside the trailing full brake, in an effort to dissuade people from using it, which didn't work. I spent most of the journey stood in the BG watching the countryside through one of the droplights...

I miss those journeys, real trains, with comfy coaches (even the BG rode well!) and services that really did go from one side of the country to another, without having to go via London.....

Andy G

I think the sidings you refer to are 'Newtown Berthing Sidings' which are between the 'Designer Centre' and the station; they're still there, and in daily use. On the station itself, almost all has been rebuilt (in the case of Beaver Road bridge, twice) since those photos were taken. The only thing that remains of the station that was rebuilt for the Kent Coast Electrification is a small part of the 'Booking Hall Bridge' at the London end; this was retained as a Fire Exit from Platforms 3&4 (Eurostar platforms) to the road side of Platform 1

I think you are right, because the road I was referring to ran parallel to the sidings and then went underneath the Hastings branch and ended up by the works, (where there were still a few sections of overhead wiring visible in the early 1970s).

I had no idea the sidings were still there; but then when I come in on the Romney Marsh road there are so many retail outlets that I lose my bearings. In the old days we would come in on Kingsnorth Road and Beaver Road.

I think you are right, because the road I was referring to ran parallel to the sidings and then went underneath the Hastings branch and ended up by the works, (where there were still a few sections of overhead wiring visible in the early 1970s).

I had no idea the sidings were still there; but then when I come in on the Romney Marsh road there are so many retail outlets that I lose my bearings. In the old days we would come in on Kingsnorth Road and Beaver Road.

The sidings use some former overhead supports to carry lighting, I believe. Apart from units, they are used to stable locos. These days, I presume you come off the M20 at Jct 10 to avoid the delights of crossing Ashford centre.

That first one's a curiosity: I don't think I've ever seen a train with as many Lowfits in it. Some yellow chocks are visible, suggesting the last load was of vehicles of some sort. Perhaps export tractors?

Alycidon was decidedly dirty; was that the same Deltic that featured in a view of York station a couple of posts ago? Today's photo shows evidence of a recent derailment, with new track on the line nearest the photographer (odd they've relaid a busy route like this with bullhead), and a bogie abandoned on the other side of the tracks.

• RMweb Premium

Today's photo shows evidence of a recent derailment, with new track on the line nearest the photographer (odd they've relaid a busy route like this with bullhead), and a bogie abandoned on the other side of the tracks.

..... and the wagon body - BOBOL E ? - on the far bank in J562 ?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Gold

That first one's a curiosity: I don't think I've ever seen a train with as many Lowfits in it. Some yellow chocks are visible, suggesting the last load was of vehicles of some sort. Perhaps export tractors?

Alycidon was decidedly dirty; was that the same Deltic that featured in a view of York station a couple of posts ago? Today's photo shows evidence of a recent derailment, with new track on the line nearest the photographer (odd they've relaid a busy route like this with bullhead), and a bogie abandoned on the other side of the tracks.

..... and the wagon body - BOBOL E ? - on the far bank in J562 ?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

I've always wondered just what the derailment was, it wasn't mentioned in magazines at the time (as far as I know).

In those days there was rarely anyone else at Pilmoor taking photos so I never found anyone to ask.

David

On another thread some time ago, there was a discussion of 'F' headcode goods trains on the ER and their complete absence from the WTTs. We reached a rather non-confident conclusion that they may have been military services which had paths that could be used on an "as required" basis.

There were a lot on the GN&GE some days, but none for weeks afterwards.

Maybe this train is on empty Lowfits after/before transporting military vehicles?

• Like 1

Wouldn't relaying with short lengths of bullhead be normal as the way to get the sleepers in place, and then the long welded rail is put down later? The method used for decades?

Paul

Wouldn't relaying with short lengths of bullhead be normal as the way to get the sleepers in place, and then the long welded rail is put down later? The method used for decades?

Paul

If you're going to relay with long-welded flat-bottom rail, then you lay panels of flat-bottom. If you use panels of bullhead, then you'd have to remove all the chairs to install flat-bottom rail.

If you're going to relay with long-welded flat-bottom rail, then you lay panels of flat-bottom. If you use panels of bullhead, then you'd have to remove all the chairs to install flat-bottom rail.

Thanks Brian, yes apologies.

Paul