Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Pride of Tinsley! pain in the wotsit as it was nearly always on the Master Cutler, about the only blue Type 4 we ever saw at Bedford at the time.

Tinsley had all those other Brushes and they keep sending us the same one. :nono: :nono: :nono:

But none better, you should have considered yourself honoured.

Mike.

Cue Porcy Mane salivating over the street lamp!

Well it is a rather nice example of a Girling that adds to the composition by balancing up the railway standard that illuminates the pointwork at the entrance to the goods yard.

https://flic.kr/p/JdxjQv

If only Daves Dad had turned 180 degrees and photographed the Sketchley works. A typical factory, a model of which would enhance any model railway layout.  :smile_mini2:

Anybody wanna talk about Hinkley bricks? 

P

• Like 1

1N18 was the 15:00 KX-Newcastle

1H02 was the 12:40 KX-Hull. The TSO at the head suggests it was the Saturday train. Second coach there is a BFK substituting for what should be a BSO.

1B21 was the 15:20 Sheffield-KX - The Sheffield Pullman with a Mk1 BG and a 1928 Kitchen First substituting for what should be a 1928 Brake Second. The Gresley bogies indicate it is "BELINDA"

1L26 was the 16:05SX KX-Bradford. (1575 is not Air-Braked which would have been needed for the Mk2a stock, so more likely it is 1515)

1A14 was the 08:30 Halifax/08:50 Bradford/09:20 Leeds-KX

Thanks for taking the time to post your photos.

• Like 1

David,

Are you sure the date of the EE Type 3 on the Pullman is April 1961?

Only 15 were in service by that date, all based on the GE at Stratford - though with some at Ipswich, March and Norwich, presumably for driver training. Would've been surprised to see one on the ECML.

Also, weren't the first examples delivered without the yellow warning panels?

Edited by Peter Kazmierczak

• RMweb Gold

David,

Are you sure the date of the EE Type 3 on the Pullman is April 1961?

Only 15 were in service by that date, all based on the GE at Stratford - though with some at Ipswich, March and Norwich, presumably for driver training. Would've been surprised to see one on the ECML.

Also, weren't the first examples delivered without the yellow warning panels?

Thanks for noticing that Peter.

It is my mistake, it should be 1963 - I must have hit the wrong key and not noticed it.  I've corrected the caption.

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The Pullman set in the photo is the Sheffield Pullman and Master Cutler and was normally six coaches, 4 BR Mk1 Pullmans flanked by a pair of pre-war Pullman brakes. The train in the photo has a pre-war parlour car and a Mk1 BG. I wonder if there was a problem with one of the Pullman brakes normally used and these two replaced it.

All of which led me to wonder about the date. There are no leaves on the trees and not a great deal of sign of grass growth in the foreground, which is probably not surprising given the extreme winter just passed.

Easter was mid-month in 63 and from the historic charts looks to have had pretty miserable weather, wet and windy basically. The last week of the month can be ruled out due to pressure being too high for large thunder clouds to develop.

The most likely, weatherwise, was either Weds 3rd or Thurs 4th April where a cold northerly wind could easily have produced these conditions in Eastern England given the strength of the sun by that time of year.

The Monthly Weather Report from the Met Office mentions thunderstorms over Eastern England on the 3rd, with snow and hail on the 4th.

This is pure speculation, and could be completely wrong, but I enjoy these exercises - being a bit of an obsessive. 

I don't know if those two dates fit in with your records David?

• RMweb Gold

All of which led me to wonder about the date. There are no leaves on the trees and not a great deal of sign of grass growth in the foreground, which is probably not surprising given the extreme winter just passed.

Easter was mid-month in 63 and from the historic charts looks to have had pretty miserable weather, wet and windy basically. The last week of the month can be ruled out due to pressure being too high for large thunder clouds to develop.

The most likely, weatherwise, was either Weds 3rd or Thurs 4th April where a cold northerly wind could easily have produced these conditions in Eastern England given the strength of the sun by that time of year.

The Monthly Weather Report from the Met Office mentions thunderstorms over Eastern England on the 3rd, with snow and hail on the 4th.

This is pure speculation, and could be completely wrong, but I enjoy these exercises - being a bit of an obsessive. 

I don't know if those two dates fit in with your records David?

I can't be sure about the dates, but I suspect you are probably right.

If I had the catalogues for Dad's non railway photos I might be able to work out the likely dates more easily, but Mum likes to keep them.

Between about 1961 and 1965 we spent a lot of time on the family boat going sailing whenever the weather was not too bad, so the photos were probably taken when the forecast was poor for the Humber sea area (which is where we normally sailed).

However if it was mid week then I must have been on holiday from school, I can't remember the holiday dates that far back but I think we had three weeks off at Easter as half terms were only one or two days then, so holidays between terms were a bit longer than nowadays.

Dad didn't take any photos at all in February and March that year - probably because of the weather..

Hope this helps.

David

Edited by DaveF

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. An excellent set of photos of Wolverhampton today. Very photogenic taken late in the day with the sun shining down at an angle.

In C3062, the DMU is a class 119 Gloucester Cross Country unit. The four big windows between the two passenger side doors, and the large guards van in the DMBC are the main clues.

In the last photo, the unit part visible behind 87014 is a Swindon class 120. The different roof vent spacing, and the fact the window in the guards van does not have a central vertical divider are more clues to the units classification. In the left background, a high density set, maybe class 116, can be seen.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

The Pullman set in the photo is the Sheffield Pullman and Master Cutler and was normally six coaches, 4 BR Mk1 Pullmans flanked by a pair of pre-war Pullman brakes. The train in the photo has a pre-war parlour car and a Mk1 BG. I wonder if there was a problem with one of the Pullman brakes normally used and these two replaced it.

My tuppence worth - from memory.

Mk1 BG was occasionally substituted, in fact at one stage a brown/cream BG made its mark on these trains I can't be too sure of the actual trains, but they were mentioned in Modern Railways at the time, and on my fairly frequent trips to the GN did see them.

In my book, at this time EE3 were rare on the southern end of the GN, apart from the Sheffield allocation. They were good for me, being surrounded by 30A examples (D6700-29) on the local LST-KLN trains! The Sheffield ones were as you say used in limited numbers on the Pullmans. I can remember walking round 34G one day, and seeing one there, so rare that I took a photo of it.

Stewart

attachicon.gifHinckley Class 46 D178 down l e May 69 J1693.jpg

Hinckley Class 46 D178 down l e May 69 J1693

This one resonates with me - I spent the first few years of my life in Sapcote just outside Hinckley in the mid 70's, I have vague memories of shopping trips there. Looking at the map ( I suspect it's this bridge: https://goo.gl/maps/LC4N81BYeg42 ) it's unlikely I would have been along that road much if at all, but that concrete lamppost certainly has the deja-vu alarm bells going off - I wonder if they were peculiar to the area.

Edited by railsquid

• RMweb Gold

Great photos of Nottingham Dave, but C4248 is surely a class 25?

Bill

Thanks Bill.

I think it's just fat finger on keyboard syndrome, in my slide catalogue  have it written down as a Class 25.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 1

but that concrete lamppost certainly has the deja-vu alarm bells going off - I wonder if they were peculiar to the area.

Looks like we've caught ourselves another, Tim Dubya.

Did you used to hang around a lot of lamp posts on street corners then?  :smile_mini2:

4485619387_188172ccba_z.jpgGirlings re-inforced concrete street lighting columns advert, c1951 by mikeyashworth, on Flickr

Note "By Appointment"

Its' the same bridge. Lamp posts . Something you rarely see modeled that accurately. Geoff Kent and Tom Mallard being to exceptions.

P

Publicist for the Society for Improved Lamp Standards.(4mm)

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Hi David

J1553, could well be a class 46 not a 45. It has the one piece headcode window and I think I can see the triangular grill below the main grill. This indicates a refurbished loco, Brush did all the 46s and a few 45s. Locos dealt with early in the programme returned to traffic in green, by the time the last ones were done they were repainted blue. The 45s followed on from the 46s so I don't think any refurbished 45s were green (I cannot recall a photo of one). If my information is duff I would be happy to be shown the correct info.

Edit. If it is not a refurbished loco, then it would be a 46 as they were the only ones built new with one piece headcode windows.

Edited by Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Good to see the photos of the line between Buckminster Sidings and Paine's Sidings. Interesting to see the works train.

At Nottingham Midland, the loco in J1553, as Clive has pointed out, is not a 45. I can certainly make out the small grille below the main grille, so a 46 it most certainly must be.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

J1553, I wonder if it's D85. Many moons ago I modified a Mainline Peak into that one, coincidentally with the same headcode for our Deepcar layout. I'd seen a photo in Railway Magazine taken at Deepcar when Manchester services were diverted over Woodhead in 1969. I'd also found another photo showing the opposite end which had a split centre headcode box.

Edit: just seen Rob's post above, in my defence I'm looking at these pics on my phone and between composing my reply and sending it using the patchy signal on the ECML, he'd confirmed it as a 46.

Edited by great central

• RMweb Gold

Hi David

J1553, could well be a class 46 not a 45. It has the one piece headcode window and I think I can see the triangular grill below the main grill. This indicates a refurbished loco, Brush did all the 46s and a few 45s. Locos dealt with early in the programme returned to traffic in green, by the time the last ones were done they were repainted blue. The 45s followed on from the 46s so I don't think any refurbished 45s were green (I cannot recall a photo of one). If my information is duff I would be happy to be shown the correct info.

Edit. If it is not a refurbished loco, then it would be a 46 as they were the only ones built new with one piece headcode windows.

Hi, Dave. Good to see the photos of the line between Buckminster Sidings and Paine's Sidings. Interesting to see the works train.

At Nottingham Midland, the loco in J1553, as Clive has pointed out, is not a 45. I can certainly make out the small grille below the main grille, so a 46 it most certainly must be.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Many thanks to both of you.

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Some excellent photos of the ECML from Cramlington to Morpeth today. In C7561 at Stannington LC, I can't help noticing how out of place the extension to the building is. And 37073 would make a model with a difference! But I don't think anyone will do it though.

With warmest regards,

Rob.